Napper 2021 Logan Soil Test Main

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Napper 2021 Logan Soil Test Main

Post by napper » April 20th, 2021, 10:22 am

The last soil test on the main yard was in 2018. This is 20K Sq. Ft. In 2018 I applied zinc and boron along with ferrous sulfate. In 2019 I applied one application of boron along with milorganite monthly. Last year was two applications of boron and one application of 11-52-0.
I'm guessing I need to apply potassium. I do have two bags of 0-0-50 on hand.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Napper 2021 Logan Soil Test Main

Post by MorpheusPA » April 20th, 2021, 5:20 pm

You're guessing pretty much right. On the macros, at least. 0-0-50 (potassium sulfate) is perfect. I've given app rates compatible with either potassium sulfate or potassium chloride below, so if you run out and need more, either will do, but I recommend potassium sulfate. I'm folding in as many apps as I can manage without hitting it too hard in summer.

You kicked right over the top of the phosphorus requirements, so you can stop applying that. You should be good for the foreseeable future.

There's a lot of inconsistency in your boron numbers, but none of them are outright deficient, and this year's looks good (about half look good). So we're not going to touch that. Your minor elements also look good.

Completely optional, and only if you really want to, your lawn would probably have much better color if the iron numbers slowly came up over the course of years (which is also the only way you're going to do that). I'd feed with Milorganite instead of a synthetic (sometimes at a slightly higher than bag rate since bag rate tends to be set a little low) to slowly raise iron levels. It'll also help maintain your minor element levels a little bit, and assist with your organic matter levels a bit as well.

Recommendations (entirely optional where noted):

Now-ish: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

May 25th or so: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

Memorial Day: Feed with Milorganite at bag rate (optional; for iron and organics).

Around July 4th: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

September 1: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet. Feed with Milorganite at 1.5 times bag rate or so (optional, for iron and organics).

October 1: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet. Feed with Milorganite at 1.5 times bag rate or so (optional, for iron and organics; skip this if the weather is very cold and soil temps are falling under fifty and simply winterize when it's time instead).

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Napper 2021 Logan Soil Test Main

Post by napper » April 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Sounds good. I have milorganite on hand and have no problem getting more 0-0-50.