Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Leifcat's 2021 Soil Test Results

Post by Leifcat1 » April 25th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Greetings,

After five years of heavy Milorganite use, I decided it was time to test my soil to see if there were any excesses/deficiencies present. As suspected, my phosphorous is high and my potassium is low, but I would like some assistance from the experts to help me look at the bigger picture (beyond phosphorous and potassium).

Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Grass Type: Primarily KBG
Mowing: Reel mowing between .75 - 1.00
Problems: thin turf, hard and crusty soil, poor germination rates, low grass survival rates, leaf spot
Budget: Unlimited (within reason)

I realize that I have two samples attached. I understand if only one can be interpreted. Also, in full disclosure, my soil probe took a sample from 6". Apologies in advance if this causes any issues.

I appreciate your help. Thank you so much!

Leifcat1

Re: Leifcat's 2021 Soil Test Results

Post by Leifcat1 » April 25th, 2021, 6:25 pm

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 29th, 2021, 8:42 pm

These are both pretty heavy soils, with an excellent organic content. If these soils drain OK, things are fine.

In the cations, only Potassium needs a nice nudge. Get Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50), and apply at 2 lbs/K monthly until October.

Phosphorus is good.

Iron is OK where the pH is 6.8, and adding more to a 7.3 pH area is not going to work anyway. You could use Milorganite as your Nitrogen source, and it will work on both lawns for Iron. Otherwise, Urea would be a good fertilizer at 2 lbs/K monthly.

Leave the micro's alone for now.

Leifcat1

Post by Leifcat1 » May 5th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Thank you for the interpretation, Andy! I knew the K was going to take some work after all my years of heavy Milo use.

I've already ordered the SOP and will probably begin applying shortly before a good rain.

Urea will probably be my go-to source for N, simply due to the fact that it's cheap.

I agree to wait on the micros. It looks like zinc and copper are low, and those items just aren't as easy to apply compared to urea and SOP.

Thanks again for the interpretation and I wish you the best!