Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
mildewydog
Grass Type: showtime,midnitekbg mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

mildewy dogs soil test

Post by mildewydog » April 29th, 2021, 5:49 pm

hey guys,
this was first posted in the regular forum, and now that ive got my test results as suggested, im posting here for the anlysis by the gurus.

hope im doing it right.

I'm out here in coastal RI, ive been using soil savvy to guide my applications since 2016, I fertilize roughly 10,000 sf. soil type is a sandy loam, champion gq perrenial rye, midnight kb

first i would like to say this site has been a huge help, thank you guys for putting it together. i have been following here since 14, or 15 pretty regularly but dont post too much.

starting in 2016 i really started trying the regimens as suggested on this site. micros were all on the low side, p was high, k was low, as was my ph

through 17 -19 really was trying to get everything in line and the lawn has improved dramaticly. lots of milorganite and baystate, lime, agressive witer program hammering the n. the phos went up along with the k while ph has routinely been 5.5 ish

noticing the p number trending way high due to the milo, in 20 and 21 i stopped using the milorganite except for a light spring aplication realy just to get soil activity, started going heavy on alot of the micros and focusing on n-k and ph. using nxt line,humichar, carbonx, and urea mostly.

soil test for this year came in and phos is still way high, and k is still way low, micros have come into the acceptable range, ph remain unchanged around 5.4.

i have been applying a 0-0-60 potash granule, as well as a repeated monthly applications of an 8-0-20 solution called mojo k20 along with solu-cal as well as fast acting lime from bb stores at double the bag rate but i cant get the numbers to move. the mojo k 20 product is a "liduid lime" and as I said an 8-0-20 fert.

over the years the calcium has moved slowly into the acceptable range. iron and Mn are also within the acceptable range

the soil is 1000% better looking, and the lawn itself is great. i guess im just wondering if im missing a trick with the K linked to ph or a counter action from moulders chart with timing of applications (always spaced at least 2 weeks apart)of all this product, or is it just a waiting game. just cant get either number to move very much. despite 4lbs/k potash, 4lbs /k sufate of potash, 10lb/k solucal, 10lbs / k of the fast lime, 5lbs/k of the mojo, and probably 6lbs/k n urea yearly.

not in this for a quick fix, i know fixing the soil is a long game. but im obviously not doing something right here, some of the answer may lie with the soil savvy tests, the ll results show a way more accurate, and detailed, turns out things are more inline then i previously thought.

any help at all would be appreciated?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: mildewy dogs soil test

Post by andy10917 » April 29th, 2021, 9:37 pm

I think you're driving yourself crazy, or we're not looking at the same test results.

This is a slightly sandy soil, with a great organic component. Adjusted for a 4" test depth, only Potassium is a bit short of where I like to see. Yeah, you could put down a little Solu-Cal if you wish to go nuts (not at the same time as SOP if you can avoid it. Phosphorus is plentiful and harmless.

pH from the cations is just a hair from perfect.

Iron is OK, and only Boron could use some work. Up for it this year?

mildewydog

Post by mildewydog » April 30th, 2021, 3:58 pm

for sure

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 1st, 2021, 10:50 am

Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap from the grocery store, and apply at 3 tablespoons/K, every 60 days - as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

mildewydog

Post by mildewydog » May 2nd, 2021, 8:46 am

done, and thank you.