DS_NH Soil Test - 2021

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
ds_nh
Grass Type: KBG, Fescue, Rye
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

DS_NH Soil Test - 2021

Post by ds_nh » May 21st, 2021, 11:13 pm

Logan Labs test results (location is New Hampshire, 5b, grass is mix of KBG, Fescue, Rye, Clover):

I've received help from Morpheuspa in the past and now found this site (I could copy a link, if needed). So far so good and been enjoying some of the articles. I mow the lawn 1x per week at the max height. No irrigation for the lawn and my goals are to continue improving the growth of KBG/fescue/rye/clover mix in the yard. I went through the prior recommendations of applying gypsum to lower the magnesium (was 30%) and lowering the sodium (was 2.6%) and applying potassium sulfate to increase the potassium. I see I may need some help from 20 Mule Team. Please review and let me know any recommendations that you may have. I will be applying soybean meal soon for spring time feeding and will feed again in the fall. Thank you.

ds_nh

Re: DS_NH Soil Test - 2021

Post by ds_nh » May 25th, 2021, 6:29 am

I've updated the soil test picture to also show the test results from September 2019. (I saw someone else do this on another soil test and thought it was pretty slick.)

I also forgot to add that my soil is rather hard to dig into. If I take a pitch fork, it'll go in easy for the first couple of inches and then becomes very difficult after that. Not sure if that helps or not.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 25th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Nice job !!! It has really come along.

Structurally, the TEC and OM% are up, and more attention will be rewarded - not that there's anything wrong with what you've done. Keep it up.

I'm also happy with the cations - the variance is quite small and not worth the attention.

Phosphorus remains high(and there is nothing wrong with that).

Iron remains low enough to deal with. Get Ferrous Sulfate and apply it at 2-3 lbs/K every 60 days.

A few of the micro's are low (Boron, Manganese and Zinc) need your attention - is that something you wish to deal with this year?

A Nitrogen regimen is up to you, unless you want help.

ds_nh

Post by ds_nh » May 26th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Morpheus deserves the credit as I never would have thought of using gypsum to help lower the magnesium and sodium and then pushing up the calcium. I'm always learning here and the engineer inside me loves understanding the science.

So with Iron low, I will add the 2-3 lbs/K of ferrous sulfate now and again in August.

For Nitrogen -
Planning on 10lbs/K of Soybean meal now (~.7lbsN/K), 15lbs/K of SBM in August (~1lbN/K), and then Urea (~1lbN/K) in September. Let me know improvements I can make there.

For the trace elements - I'd like to use 20 Mule Team 3Tbs/K per the Micronutrient Application Guide. I looked up the zinc and manganese online to understand the importance. I'd like to add this also to my list of the year. Question - should I be using Milorganite with my phosphorous so high?

Again, wonderful job taking care of the site and helping all of us out. Thank you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » May 26th, 2021, 9:43 pm

OK on the micro's - every 60 days.

For the Fall, read and consider the Fall Nitrogen Regimen (not all 59 pages, just the first posting)

Fall Nitrogen Regimens

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » May 26th, 2021, 10:46 pm

You're welcome. :-)

One app of Milo or so isn't going to kick the P that much. And yours is so high already that a little kick won't matter...