Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Nanakisaju
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Nanakisaju’s first soil test

Post by Nanakisaju » June 4th, 2021, 10:54 am

Good morning!

We just got our first soil test results back. We did one for the front since we just had new sod installed there and a separate for the back. The back usually looks good with minimal effort but really started to struggle this year. We’re mostly concerned with keeping the sod going in the front and want it to be the best on the block.

The front and back are each about 3k sqft and we are learning now to water deeply and infrequently.

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Nanakisaju’s first soil test

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2021, 10:58 am

Make sure to place a Link pointing to this posting into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue thread so that this doesn't get lost in the other threads

Nanakisaju

Post by Nanakisaju » June 4th, 2021, 11:43 am

Thanks! I just posted the link there.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 7th, 2021, 8:26 pm

First of all, there isn't any need to do two test in the future - the issue(s) are the same, and they just vary a little in degree...

The main issue just jumps off the page at me - you have a very low TEC at 3 and 4, and the soil just doesn't hold the nutrients for very long. And both samples have low organic matter (OM%) numbers - in the "very poor" category. Now if you just read the test report yourself, you might think it's not too bad, but that's because the low OM% and low TEC are setting the bar for the test extremely low -- you're not even reaching the absolute minimums for Magnesium and Potassium.

The only thing that will change the situation is to concentrate HARD on adding lots of mulched leaves, compost and/or peat moss multiple times a season, for several years. LOTS.

Apply good calciitic lime at 9lbs/K, mixed with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts -every 90 days. Also apply a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10. 19-19-19, etc. Pick one and post the NPK for application rate and frequency.

Iron is also pretty low, and you can find/get Ferrous Sulfate and apply at 2-3 lbs/K every 60 days.

Do not apply the fertilizer or Iron within two weeks of the Lime/Epson Salts.

In the micro's, Boron, Manganese and Zinc are low - do you want to tackle those this year?

I know that's a lot and it will take quite a while, but there are no shortcuts for a situation like your's. Follow the plan, though and you'll see some improvement this year.

Nanakisaju

Post by Nanakisaju » June 8th, 2021, 9:36 am

Thank you very much Andy. The two tests looked similar to me too. Next time I’ll only submit 1 and put the savings towards more soil food.

You surprised me with the lime there! I thought the ph looked pretty good but I’ll trust your expertise and get started. Can I put the lime down on the new sod or should I wait a few weeks? It was just installed last week. I don’t think they want me to do much to it for about a month.

I’ll look around for 10-10-10 or 19-19-19 and let you know what I can find. I’ll look for ferrous sulfate too.

It does sound like a lot so I’ll hold off on the boron, manganese, and zinc for now until I get the feel for everything.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 8th, 2021, 7:20 pm

If you buy the good lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/Solu-Cal) you can put it down right away. If you wuss out and get the not-so-hot stuff, it will sit in the upper soil and I personally wouldn't put it down on new sod.

Nanakisaju

Post by Nanakisaju » June 13th, 2021, 8:04 am

I found the good fast acting stuff. Hoping to get it down this week. I’m also going with 10-10-10. What application rate and frequency do you suggest for that?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2021, 8:53 am

Good on the Lime.

10-10-10 goes down at 10 lbs/K monthly, but not July 1 - August 15th. Also, try to avoid having the Lime app and 10-10-10 app within two weeks of each other.