Serevena Soil Test 2021

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Serevana
Grass Type: Weeds
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Novice

Serevena Soil Test 2021

Post by Serevana » June 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

My soil test result. The lot is large at 1.25 acres, with about 40k of "lawn" (mostly weeds now). The yard areas have been minimally maintained (occasionally mowed, but nothing else) in the past, according to the previous owner. It has been receiving regular cutting since spring. I will be renovating, at least 10k of lawn, in the fall and would like to get the soil squared away. I will be seeding the 10k area with TTTF (4th Millenium and Traverse 2) in the fall. I would like to improve the soil everywhere, but my main focus is on the 10k area that I will definitely be seeding.

It appears I checked the 6in depth on the submission paper; however, I did sample the 3-4" region of soil. I do not know if that impacts the usability of the test results, but I can resubmit to the lab if needed. Thanks to anyone able to help.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Re: Serevena Soil Test 2021

Post by andy10917 » June 23rd, 2021, 5:19 pm

No need to resubmit -- we know how to do the sample-depth conversion.

I'll do this one -- I know the area (wife is from Romeo, MI).

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 24th, 2021, 9:24 am

Post a Link to this thread in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, please.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 27th, 2021, 10:12 pm

I was all prepared to tell you that you can't really "get the soil squared away" by seeding time.

And then I read your soil test results.

You're very lucky and only one nutrient is far off the mark of what it should be. That's Potassium, and it's an important one. I like to see it around 4% of the Base Saturations, and you're at 1.40% That won't be fixed by seeding time or by the end of the season. You need to locate Sulfate of Potash ("SOP") and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K.

You're also pretty lucky in that you're in an area prone to pH levels that are quite hign (often above pH = 8, and your's is a 7.2.

This close to seeding time, I wouldn't mess much with the soil. You'll do OK if you use the SOP according to the plan and stay away from futzing with things that are close enough for germinating a new lawn. It's a good start. Submit a new test next Spring and we'll dial it in over a couple of seasons...