Adam_M Friend's 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Adam_M Friend's 2021 Soil Test

Post by Adam_M » July 29th, 2021, 11:40 am

A friend asked for some help with his lawn. I've helped him with some cultural practices, but need more information. Their lawn is 12K or so of mutt NoMix, about 4k with is heavily compacted from renovation work and which was re-seeded last fall.

We're certainly not looking for a showpiece lawn - the desire is for a lawn that is full enough to be walked on barefoot. As an example, there's a big patch of bent that they don't mind, even if it takes me everything I've got not to you know...sneak a little tenacity on it.

They have irrigation, location is in southwest PA, north of Pittsburgh. Sourcing Milo or similar is probably as far as we want to go on the obscure stuff. Lowes/HD and Tractor Supply are close enough to be sources for "stuff". No micros, but yes to Nitrogen recommendations, including the correct regimen for fall. Does the fall nitrogen recommendation apply to non-KBG northern grasses? I'd also like to think through what could/should be done for next year, as I don't see another sample in the spring as happening.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Adam_M Friend's 2021 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » August 7th, 2021, 8:03 am

Alright, I'll keep things simple and easily acquired.

The soil is at the sandier end of a Loam soil, with a mediocre OM component. Teach him/her about increasing the OM on a regular basis, but let's not spend time/money/effort getting crazy.

I'd go to Lowes/HD and select a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10, 19-19-19, etc and apply it monthly. Often sold as "garden fertilizer" or "all-purpose fertilizer", select one and post the NPK for application rates. The frequency will likely be monthly.

The overall pattern of the nutrients is "lacking evenly across the board". I'd expect some improvement will be visible by mid-Fall, and into next year.

Teach him/her about mulching the Fall leaves instead of removing them - this will make a difference!!

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Adam_M » August 7th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Let's go with 10-10-10. 10 lbs/k? Would the right timing be first batch down after August 15th-ish and monthly until first frost-ish? And then 1 pound of urea at growth stoppage?

I don't know how much nomix liked to eat nitrogen, and I think I understand that kbg is a heavier feeder than nomix.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 8th, 2021, 12:35 am

Yup, 10-10-10 goes down at 10 lbs/K, and stops around the AVERAGE first frost date. And Yes on the growth stoppage. The NoMix can handle it.