request for soil test analysis and recommendations

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
fred9
Grass Type: mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

request for soil test analysis and recommendations

Post by fred9 » August 23rd, 2021, 4:59 pm

Attached are two recent soil tests. The Bad one is about 600 sq ft on a south facing slope. The last few years my dormant over seeding has not produced good results. In the past I guessed maybe it was due to lack of adequate watering but this year in north central CT we have had plenty of rain. (too much?)
The "Rest" is the rest of the yard.

This year and last I put down Milorganite 3 times each year. In years past I have used SOP, lime and Epsom salts.

Thank you for any recommendations.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: request for soil test analysis and recommendations

Post by andy10917 » August 28th, 2021, 9:31 am

Well, that's certainly interesting - the soil report indicates that the soil is a little BETTER in the BAD area, This indicates to me that the slope is probably the culprit here in play.

In general, the results are not terrible.

Both areas show a somewhat sandy soil, with good OM numbers. The Bad area could use some Calcium and Magnesium, and the Rest could use Potassium. Both areas have a large surplus of Phosphorus.

So, get Sulfate of Potash (not easy to find), and apply to the Rest area at 2 lbs/K monthly. The Bad area has enough Potassium. The Bad area needs good calcitic Lime at 9 lbs/K, mixed with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts, and applied at 11 lbs/K every 90 days.

Iron is good in all areas, and should be available at your pH.

I'd up my game on Nitrogen sources - 3X a year is not going to show the kind of change you're looking for. The Nitrogen sources are up to you, unless you need help.

I'd consider the the Fall Nitrogen Regimen if you want to kick start this effort.

Slopes can be challenging, and I'm not a fan of dormant seeding on slopes (at all) - there is too much time between seed-down and germination for rain to push the seed down the slope. It just does not work.

Let me know if you want me to provide micronutrient recommendations...

fred9
Grass Type: mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: request for soil test analysis and recommendations

Post by fred9 » August 29th, 2021, 9:09 pm

Andy,
Thank you very much for your review and recommendations. I plan to follow your recs! I will pass on the micronutrient recommendations.
I am working on a source for SOP but think it will be next year before I get it.
I have the urea on hand to do the Fall regiment.
Thanks for recommending seeding the bad hill now. I did nuke the grass on the Bad hill and put dorn KBG on Aug 18. The next day we got over 2" of rain and then the next week we got over 4" from the tropical storm. The dead grass helped keep a lot of the seed in place because I see the green seedlings. But the bare spots are still mostly bare. I need to look closer at 2 weeks and will probably have to re-seed.

Thank you again.