Newbie here asking for help

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Backyarder
Grass Type: Ryegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Newbie here asking for help

Post by Backyarder » October 2nd, 2021, 12:34 pm

We recently had a patio installed in our backyard and they left most of the backyard a disaster. I now have a 30x60 area that needs to be completely reseeded. My soil is pretty much all clay in sand. Very very hard compacted when they tried to scratch it with a bobcat the bobcat blade just bounced. I have brought in about 10 yards of compost and I have spread about 2 in of compost over the entire area. Scratching and loosening and leveling the hard packed soil underneath as I went.

My question is can I plant now directly into the compost or do I need to mix the soil and compost?

I would like to get seeds in the ground as soon as possible before it cools off anymore. Currently in the '70s during the day in the 40s at night.

Any and all advice would be appreciated

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Newbie here asking for help

Post by turf_toes » October 3rd, 2021, 12:04 pm

In Michigan, you’ve probably already missed your seeding window.

You could try a quick germinating grass like P Rye. But you’ll probably end up with winter kill of the grass anyway.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 3rd, 2021, 3:36 pm

That's my thought. October is very late. Perhaps the fescues might manage somewhat as well given that the weather there is holding rather warm for a bit: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ro ... c94e7805fc

You'd probably want to slice into what you have a bit (a rare exception due to having compost down already), and there's no need to mix it into the soil. It'll do that on its own. And do it soonest, you quite literally have absolutely no time to waste. Every day is borrowed.

If you miss the window by not doing this Sunday or Monday, your next window is the moment things unfreeze in spring and daytime highs start reaching 50 or so. Seed then, and the seed will sprout the first moment it can. Even in Michigan, you'll need to coddle it through its first summer by watering it (don't feed during summer...ever).

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » October 4th, 2021, 3:27 am

Another alternative is to dormant seed the grass variety that you desire from december 1st onward. Prior to snowfall. It will germinate in early spring. If erosion is a problem use an erosion type mat.