Agn015 2022 results

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Agn015 2022 results

Post by agn015 » March 24th, 2022, 10:34 am

Hello around the yard friends!

This is my 7th year now and I’m happy to see I finally moved into a sandy loam with acceptable levels of OM! I’m not sure why potassium levels dropped despite putting down 4lbs/k for the year. I’m pretty good at sampling so I doubt it an error. Could the potassium be locked up in my OM?

Last year I had to reach for the chemical fungicides once but I’m hoping I don’t have to this year. Already it’s looking better than it ever has so I’m really excited to see it during peak week. Thanks for all your help!

Here’s the 2021 thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26506&p=346175&hil ... 15#p346175

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Agn015 2022 results

Post by MorpheusPA » March 30th, 2022, 5:43 pm

It seems unlikely that the K is locked in the OM...it just can't hold that much! A few ounces, sure. It didn't wash out. It didn't fly off and join the French Foreign Legion. Quite a bit is probably perking down, but...

Looking at last year's test and the differences, there are two possibilities. They're really looking inconsistent with each other, which might mean your soil isn't very consistent--or the sampling wasn't consistent (I hate to be accusatory, but...) I've found that, when I sample, I try to take waaaaaay more samples than they recommend. The last time, about 40 across the property, mixed together to get 2 1/2 cups, reduced to 2 cups that I sent.

If it's the soil, it may be that you want to send two different samples. I actually do that as well--my lawn and garden are very different soils and treated differently. It wouldn't make sense to send them together.

I'm reading this as a more-or-less pure test without overmuch considering last year's until after I do the read.

Phosphorus is great, calcium is high (and we'll take it). Magnesium is numerically showing a bit low, but that's deceptive and it's really not. I would love to shove potassium in the butt, but don't want to finagle your pH too badly since it's already a bit high and K won't displace Ca. The shortage isn't all that severe, we're in no hurry, and you're familiar with the process. Note that I shorted the level in September to avoid snow mold. [later note; after the 2021 review, I'm still keeping it this way, but if you move it to October and make it 2 pounds, I'm fine with that. I simply never make that recommendation north of the Pennsylvania/Maryland border. Ever.]

Post review of 2021, I see that Andy tapped your boron levels. I'm content with an 0.7 PPM level with a pH of 7.1, but apparently he has different standards. :-) If you wish to tap your boron levels at 3 tablespoons of Twenty Mules every 60 days, as in the Micronutrient Application Guide, I'm fine with that, but I'm not putting it in Recommendations. Grasses aren't particularly boron-sensitive. If this were a broccoli or cabbage garden, I'd have a much different answer for you.

Personally, I'm not in love with your soil's copper levels at that pH, but let's table that for this year.

Iron is OK for your pH, which won't generate the best color to begin with, but if you want to pour on the Milorganite or OceanGro or any other iron source, please feel free. Don't get spendy about it because, again, that pH isn't going to give much in terms of dark greens.

Recommendations:

April: Apply potassium sulfate at 2 pounds per thousand square feet.

June: Apply potassium sulfate at 2 pounds per thousand square feet.

August: Apply potassium sulfate at 2 pounds per thousand square feet.

September: Apply potassium sulfate at 1 pound per thousand square feet.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Level: Experienced

Re: Agn015 2022 results

Post by agn015 » March 31st, 2022, 8:37 pm

I know I did take a few less samples than normal. Probably around 30 over the whole yard instead of 40. Maybe that’s it since historically my tests are always consistent. I started using humic dg too but that probably just adds a few more ounces locked. I’ll consider sending a few separate samples in next years.

I’m fine to revisit copper later.

Thanks for all of the details! Full steam ahead for another season!