krebsy's 2022 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
krebsy
Grass Type: KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

krebsy's 2022 Soil Test

Post by krebsy » March 31st, 2022, 10:07 am

This lawn is located in Bucks County, Southeastern PA, about 40 miles north of Philadelphia. The home was built in 2019, and the lawn seed used at that time is unknown. It was planted very late that fall and did not fare well the following summer. Much of it died and was taken over by an assortment of weeds. I started to work on that using the triangle approach last year and will continue with that this season.

I began a multi-stage renovation last year using a KBG blend. I tackled about 1/3 of the lawn last year. I plan to do another third this year and the final third the following year. As such, the lawn is very much in transition and will be for a while, but I want to continue working on the soil. I followed Morph’s plan last year which was apps of Potassium Sulfate. I am ready to execute a full plan this year including any necessary micronutrient applications.

Thanks for the guidance! It’s an invaluable resource!
2022 Test

Last year’s soil test can be found here.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26444&p=345638#p345638

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: krebsy's 2022 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 31st, 2022, 6:01 pm

Sometimes these soil tests make my head hurt. This is one of them.

You're an old hand at this now, so we really only need to hit the high points. Not much changed. Well, somehow the copper sampled at 15 PPM, which is unheard-of, but I'm going to assume contamination of the sample and an anomaly there. All it would take is a tiny fleck off a bit of verdigris-decayed copper somewhere and there it goes.

Your phosphorus, which was perfect, now shows a little low. I'm not worried about it this year as it's still in range. We'll see where it is next year.

What worries me about not much changing is that you applied potassium to this soil and it...went nowhere. I guess we try it again and assume the topmost layers ate it, and the grasses absorbed it.

Boron is now sliding just a tad low. Let me know if you want to work on that one.

Recommendations

April: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

June: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

September: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

krebsy
Grass Type: KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by krebsy » April 1st, 2022, 7:26 am

Thanks Morph! I'm ready to work on Boron. Sorry for the headache!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 1st, 2022, 11:55 am

Much of that headache is probably the spring cold I have. No, it's definitely not the 'vid. :-)

For the Boron, follow the Micronutrient Application Guide, and mix 3 tbsp of 20 Mule Team Borax (available from the grocery store in the laundry aisle) per thousand square feet into a bag of Milorganite. That should go about 2,500 square feet total, so 7.5 tablespoons total.

The edited recommendations are below:

Recommendations

April: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

Very Late May to June 1: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet. Apply 3 tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

September 1: Apply 2 pounds of either potassium chloride or potassium sulfate per thousand square feet. Apply 3 tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.