Masbustelo 2022 Soil Report

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Masbustelo 2022 Soil Report

Post by Masbustelo » April 7th, 2022, 5:10 pm

This is my report for this year 2022. I used a plug cutter and the various samples were taken between 3.25 and a maximum of 4.0 inches. I am including 2020 and 2021 as well for comparison. In 2020 i applied gypsum, SOP, and Boron throughout the year per Andy's recommendation. Last year I only applied nitrogen mid may and then did the aggressive fall nitrogen regime per Morpheus. I have no idea why the exchange capacity jumped this year. I'm guessing that Ph has come down because the gypsum has had more time to work. Organic matter lower may be due to deeper sample. Overall the lawn looks great. I watered it in July and August because it was getting established, but probably won't this year. I plan to go laissez-faire with the watering tipo Morpheus.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Masbustelo 2022 Soil Report

Post by MorpheusPA » April 15th, 2022, 10:44 am

This is the easiest report I've read this year.

Do. Nothng. It's. Perfect.

I mean, sure, continue adding OM, which can always be better than 4%, which is in the Good range. Maybe, if you want, use Milo to add more iron, as 150 could be a little better (I really like 300 for best color, and a balance pH of 6.7 is a bit on the high end, so higher iron would make the color nicer with higher iron since it's more bound).

Copper is just the wee-est bit low on my rubric (I'd target 2.0 PPM), but unless you tell me you have copper sulfate on-hand and ready to go, skip the recommendation below. It's not important, and mostly just to keep it from slipping further.

Expect boron to slip next year from not applying and normal use and washing out.

Recommendation:

May (Optional): Apply 3 tbsp copper sulfate in Milorganite using the Micronutrient Application Guide

September (Optional): Apply 3 tbsp copper sulfate in Milorganite using the Micronutrient Application Guide

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Masbustelo 2022 Soil Report

Post by Masbustelo » April 15th, 2022, 9:10 pm

Morpheus, Thanks a bunch. With prices sky high this year I'm glad I don't have to apply much. I'll have to round up some copper. I thinkI might have some on hand.