Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Soil Test -- Turk 2022

Post by Turk » April 19th, 2022, 11:17 am

Second year soil test, third year in the house:

Lawn Size: 24,000 sf total
Grass Type: Mix of TTTF, perennial ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass
Weekly mowing during season (mulching mode during season, mulched leaves during fall)
Watering: approx 1 in. / week or less during summer
Experience: Some experience.

Based on last year's test results and recommendations, I did the following:
-May 25, Sept. 1, and Oct. 1: Added 18-24-12 Starter Fertilizer on average 4.23 lb/ 1000 sf;
-May 25, also added Mule Team Borax (3 Tbsp / 1000 sf) mixed with Milo carrier 12.8 lb / 1000 sf.

I'm surprised the organic matter dropped given the mulch mowing of clippings and leaves, maybe it's the deeper depth (used a soil probe this year instead of a hand spade last year). The phosphorous has definitely improved, seeing more "islands" of fescue bunches filling in this spring, including in dead/dormant areas where bermudagrass was an issue last season.

Plan on doing some spot overseeding this fall w/ TTTF on thin areas or bare spots that were previously covered w/ bermudagrass.

Thanks!

Turk

Re: Soil Test -- Turk 2022

Post by Turk » April 19th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Some pics to show how the fescue has filled between April 18 and March 6:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 19th, 2022, 7:53 pm

Reading this pure, it almost looks like two different soils between the two years.

P is looking better. There's no reason to change that prescription as you have a ways to go anyway and that change is about correct. A point drop in pH doesn't happen in a year, so I'm thinking there's a subsoil difference, but I'm not inclined to use a single test as a reason to throw a lot of calcium at a soil. Let's let it ride a year. 6.0/ a bit short on calcium (about where I am, actually) just isn't a reason to toss calcium at a lawn unless you're certain. I happen to be certain. You are not.

Boron is now downright low. So let's raise it from 3 tbsp to 5 tbsp, applied twice, as per the Micronutrient Application Guide. That's a fairly normal change after a rainy year, and, again, consistent with what I see across the Northeast. Including my own soil, where water-soluble (which boron is) nutrients leached out.

Copper is low, and I believe that too as it's also consistent with last year. I didn't recommend the change at that point, but I will now--pick up some copper sulfate (Alpha Chemicals on eBay has it, get the powder, and there are certainly plenty of other suppliers). We'll go with 3 tbsp per thousand square feet, applied twice, at least sixty days apart, as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Turk

Post by Turk » April 20th, 2022, 10:17 am

Thanks so much, Morpheus!

Please confirm that I interpreted your instructions correctly for the following prescription:

May 25: (1) add starter fertilizer (18-24-12) at bag rate;
(2) add 5 Tbsp/1000sf of 20 Mule Team Borax AND 3Tbsp/1000sf of Copper Sulphate via Milo carrier using the Micronutrient App Guide.

September 1: (1) add starter fertilizer (18-24-12) at bag rate;
(2) add 5 Tbsp/1000sf of 20 Mule Team Borax AND 3Tbsp/1000sf of Copper Sulphate via Milo carrier using the Micronutrient App Guide.

October 1: add starter fertilizer (18-24-12) at bag rate.

Thanks again, Turk.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 20th, 2022, 8:53 pm

That's exactly correct. You have so much potassium you can go with an 18-24-5, but if you get the higher potassium stuff, it's also fine. More K really isn't a problem and won't cause an issue, it's very benign even in extraordinarily high numbers.