Compost Top Dress procedure?

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Compost Top Dress procedure?

Post by Hammbone81 » June 16th, 2022, 11:58 am

I have access to some pretty good compost near me.

See this site, and link to technical data sheet:
https://www.solidwasteagency.org/compos ... wood-chips

What are the general rules of thumb regarding application timing and rates?

I was thinking about mid-late August and putting down about 1/4". But I really have no idea of that's appropriate.

I also have access to a EcoLawn compost spreader from a family member who only lives ~10mi from me (I've never used it before).

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Compost Top Dress procedure?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 16th, 2022, 3:30 pm

1) Whenever you want, but pretty much no more often than every four to six weeks during the season.
2) No more than a quarter inch at a time as a general rule.

...that's it. Compost isn't a feeding, so spring, summer, fall, whenever except winter. Don't expect miracles.

Hammbone81

Post by Hammbone81 » June 17th, 2022, 7:47 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 3:30 pm
1) Whenever you want, but pretty much no more often than every four to six weeks during the season.
2) No more than a quarter inch at a time as a general rule.

...that's it. Compost isn't a feeding, so spring, summer, fall, whenever except winter. Don't expect miracles.
Thanks Morph. No miracles expected. Just trying to get OM up. I've tried cracked corn a couple times. That's for the birds (pun intended). Compost will have its challenges too, mostly with respect to acquisition, transportation, and loading the spreader.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 17th, 2022, 8:42 am

This is a very, very slow process. After seventeen years of back-breaking (not really, and actually, for a 53-year-old, I'm kinda jacked), my OM is up to 13%. I never used compost...but did use leaves. And I eject my gardens into the lawn every year, so that's 2,200 square feet or so of packed flower garden.

Everything helps. I'm not saying not to use compost, but once or twice a year is fine. Keep up with the grains for feeding. Mulch mow (this is actually the heaviest-hitter in terms of mass, hands-down). Mow your leaves (#2 if you have significant trees). Import leaves (to kick it to #2) if you can and if it's convenient.

Hammbone81

Post by Hammbone81 » June 17th, 2022, 12:11 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 17th, 2022, 8:42 am
This is a very, very slow process. After seventeen years of back-breaking (not really, and actually, for a 53-year-old, I'm kinda jacked), my OM is up to 13%. I never used compost...but did use leaves. And I eject my gardens into the lawn every year, so that's 2,200 square feet or so of packed flower garden.

Everything helps. I'm not saying not to use compost, but once or twice a year is fine. Keep up with the grains for feeding. Mulch mow (this is actually the heaviest-hitter in terms of mass, hands-down). Mow your leaves (#2 if you have significant trees). Import leaves (to kick it to #2) if you can and if it's convenient.
I understand it's a very slow process. I also recognize that I need to continue to take steps in the right direction and I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck - ie., biggest impact with the least labor (and cost). Rule of thumb I've realized, all things OM are labor intensive.

I'm sticking with SBM or alfalfa meal in the spring ~May10 (plus the 19-19-19 ~May25th as you prescribed based on my soil results).
I put down some custom-ground cracked corn this week. Extra fine to ensure no baby corn plants. NEVER again. It bridges and does not flow out of the Spyker spreader, even with the giant gate wide open. Giant PIA. I've used regular cracked corn, and I'm not a fan due to baby stalks. (Although cracked corn in Iowa is really easy to get and cheap).

#1) I used to mulch mow. I had a Honda HRX and got rid of it because it was horrible at cutting at high mow heights in mulch mode, and rear discharge is a joke. I replaced it with a Toro Super Recycler. Love it! However, it cuts more even if I side discharge with a high-lift blade (better airflow I suspect). I pitch the deck 1 notch higher in the front, so the grass blades get cut 2x, making them smaller. Plus I'm sure the mulching kickers in the deck still do a little. Nonetheless, I still deposit the clippings back into the lawn and it doesn't wind-row. I mow every 2-3 days. I NEVER bag. Ever!

#2) I live in a very new development with two small maple trees. Most of their leafs blow away before I can get them mulched in. I've considered posting a wanted ad on FB that I would take others' leafs in fall. I'm reluctant to do that in fear of what I may actually receive. But may consider it this year.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 17th, 2022, 7:53 pm

Oddly, I always use cracked corn without issue, but tend to find the little corn plants amusing. I did grow one once, and "corn as high as an elephant's eye" was amusingly true. In the lawn, they don't survive mowing.

As far as leaves...yeah, I wouldn't do the FB thing. In a few years, the trees will grow in and you'll get leaves. That's time enough.