Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Chris Jacobie
Grass Type: Fescue With Invading Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Chris's New Soil in Nashville

Post by Chris Jacobie » August 9th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Hi,
I just moved into a new house in a new state and am excited to start improving the soil and lawn here. Thank you in advance for taking time to check out my soil test and give some recommendations.

Grass type:
Mix of fine and turf-type fescues. Lots of weeds esp. creeping charlie. A fair amount of Bermuda invaders.

Mowing and irrigation habits, chronic diseases in the grass:
I mow at 4".

I'm using some hose-end sprinklers to get my overseed established this fall. Otherwise, I'm going to rely on mother nature.

I just moved here and I haven't seen any disease yet. It is warm and wet here so I expect fungus will be a problem. There is moss growing in parts of the lawn.

Goals for the lawn/soil:
My goal for this fall is to get the lawn thick with overseeding and fertilization. I'll deal with the weeds in the spring. Overall, I want to keep inching forward to a thick, healthy, weed-free lawn with healthy soil to grow in.

If you don't mind, I'd prefer a simple starting place with some optional more advanced options that I can do if time/budget allows. Thanks!

Chris Jacobie

Re: Chris's New Soil in Nashville

Post by Chris Jacobie » August 9th, 2022, 9:42 pm

Chris Jacobie

Post by Chris Jacobie » December 18th, 2022, 12:56 pm

Bump please

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 18th, 2022, 3:02 pm

All of the materials for doing the Soil interpretations are put away for the season between November 1 and February 1. Please bump this again on or after February 1st.

Sorry that this was missed somehow...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » December 23rd, 2022, 10:50 am

Since this was a miss, and I'm actually off today, I don't mind taking care of it.

This is a calcium-rich soil, so it's over-reading the ME in the mid-twenties, and showing that in the high pH of 7.5. I'm going to mentally turn down the ME to about 15. You're stuck with the pH, but that's not a problem. Grasses certainly don't mind higher pH levels, 7.5 isn't ridiculous, and I'll discuss more below.

Phosphorus 1144: Fine even for a pH of that level. None required.

Sulfur 9: Normal; it tends to ride a little low in higher pH levels, but this is fine.

Magnesium 9.6%: On paper, a little low, but your soil has plenty and you don't need to add any and don't want to add any. It's calculating low because there's "too much" (in quotes because that's a relative statement) calcium. It's fine.

Potassium 1.7%: Again, on paper a bit low, but it's fine.

Minor Elements: Oddly, everything is just fine for a beginner's lawn (and even for a hobbyist, honestly).

Recommendations...

None. No adjustments necessary. Feed properly for a fescue lawn and enjoy.