Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Oozz
Grass Type: talk fescue
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Oozz’s 2022 Soil Test

Post by Oozz » August 26th, 2022, 11:14 am

Hello -

I have minimal experience lawn care, so would prefer to go with the most simple approach. I would like a tier 2 lawn.

Live in Northern Virginia. I have a small area in the back of my townhome that I am trying to grow grass on. The yard was on a slope, so I built a retaining wall and regraded the area to be more functional. Last fall, I removed the top 4-6 inches of clay and replaced it with topsoil. Then, I put sod down.

About 30-40% of the sod has died. Large patches of dead grass. It seems like the soil is the problem, particularly that it is not draining well. I’m getting some weeds but it’s not a big problem. I think the topsoil and sod they put down were poor quality. I also think they created a horizon when putting in the topsoil.

My primary goal is to get the soil in good condition and eliminate the horizon. To do this, I plan to use a bulb auger and drill 2-3 inch holes in my yard 8-10 inches down. I’ll fill the holes with high quality compost. Simultaneously, i’ll throw down some hq seed and top dress the lawn with the same compost… about 1/4 inch. Putting down some tenacity with the seed.

Area: 177 sq ft
Sun: Direct sun from 12ish-sundown
Irrigation: Soil doesn’t drain well . I use a sprinkler that covers the whole lawn.
Grass type: Tall Fescue

Thank you!