Zambroni 2023 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Zambroni
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Zambroni 2023 Soil Test

Post by Zambroni » April 3rd, 2023, 5:44 pm

Included is my soil test for 2023 (my 2nd year). Thank you to Morph for the guidance last year, I followed recommendations as closely as possible. The only additions to the plan laid out last year was the application of 25#'s per /1,000 sq. feet of cracked corn per month from April - September and a urea application at the end of the season.

I'm thrilled with how the lawn looks in early spring (i.e. much thicker and greener than neighbors), but I am still struggling a bit with dog urine damage in the small back yard where he does 99% of his business. I think I was able to lessen new spots with watering them in last year, but didn't have much in the way of grass repairing itself.

Not sure how badly this would have skewed last year's results, but wanted to note that I screwed it up. I got the 4 inch depth part right, but somehow missed that the sample should be from 3-4 inches. I knew enough last year to not include the top grass / roots section, but last year likely only eliminated the top inch or so. This year represents soil from the 3-4 inch depth.

Link to 2022: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27029

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Zambroni 2023 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2023, 9:12 pm

Well, this one puzzles me a bit - I can't find a reason why the pH (an indirect measure) is as low as it is at 6.1 when all of the ingredients that make it up are not deficient. Go figure...

I like the TEC - you're pretty close to the "perfect 10", and on top of an OM number of 5.05 (Great!). I'm impressed.

I think we keep this one nice and simple. All we need is a little nudge on the Calcium, Potassium and Phosphorus and this is going to round out nicely. So, let's go with a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 every 60 days, and the Nitrogen comes along for the ride. Pick the balanced fertilizer and post the NPK for the exact application rate. Two weeks (or more) later apply a good calcitic lime at the bag rate. Rinse and repeat.

Damn, even the Iron is right where we want it!!

In the micro's, get 20 Mule Team laundry soap from the grocery and apply at 4 tablespoons per 1000 sq ft as specified in the Micronutrient Application Guide every 60 days.

You've go a really nice start - let's polish it.

You can do one of the Fall Nitrogen Regimens if you'd like...

Zambroni

Post by Zambroni » April 6th, 2023, 2:55 pm

Thanks Andy.

10-10-10 is easy for me to source, so I'll use that. I've never applied calcitic lime before and your note recommends a "good" one. I'll search the site for a better understanding, but are there specific qualities that I should be looking for and/or looking to avoid?

FYI - My wife and daughter think I've gone a bit crazy because I told them both that Andy used the words "I'm impressed" regarding my soil test.

Zambroni

Post by Zambroni » April 14th, 2023, 11:54 am

Just wanted to follow up on the application rate for 10-10-10. Also, looks like one of the calcitic lime products that gets recommended here is Jonathan Greens Mag-i-Cal - a bit out of my core competency, so wanted to confirm that this would be OK for the plan above.

Thanks for the help!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2023, 5:15 pm

The rate for 10-10-10 is 10 lbs/K.

Mag-I-Cal is OK for the plan.