YEM 2023 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
YEM
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

YEM 2023 Soil Test

Post by YEM » April 13th, 2023, 10:42 am

Here are my soil test results from Logan Labs for 2023. It's the third year that I've tested the soil and as always, I greatly appreciate your suggestions.
Last year's results are here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27038

I followed morph's plans from 2022 pretty closely, but I might have missed the October calcitic lime application. I don’t have it in my notes and I think I may have just overlooked it as the last item in the 2022 schedule.

Lawn Size: About 15k square feet, half in the front yard and half in the back. The soil sample is from the Front yard. Located in North Haven, CT.

Grass Type: Northern Mix.

Mowing/Irrigation Habits: Mulch mow, typically at the highest setting my mower will allow. I do not have an irrigation system, so I do my best to move sprinklers around when neededr.

Other Notes: I intend to spread 0-0-7 for my Pre-Em application (roughly 0.2 lbs of K/1000 sq ft). I expect to make 2 applications of Andersons Humic Acid DG in April and June at 2lbs/1000 sq ft.

Goals: Hoping to stay on track here. Seems like phosphorus finally saw a bump from 2022-23, but I think it’s still below the desired thresholds.
Any advice and nitrogen recommendations are appreciated. I will apply micros as recommended (hopefully there was some improvement from the 2022 test).

Thanks for all the help!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: YEM 2023 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Well, at least you're less short on calcium than you were, even if teh sampling shows a slightly lower pH due to also showing a slightly higher ME. I'd say that, tentatively, yes, you missed the latter lime app. No huge damage, we'll pick it up now--I don't expect it's showing gigantic shortages in the lawn because it's not a gigantic shortage.

Phosphorus rose nicely and we've gone from yuck to not bad. I'd like to continue that for another year.

And again, Boron's a bit off, with our target being 0.7. I'm recommending more milo with 20 Mule Team borax. This whole year is a ditto.

Recommendations:

April: Apply calcitic lime at 7 pound per thousand square feet.

May: Apply 5 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Memorial Day: Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate.

June: Apply 5 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

September: Apply calcitic lime at 7 pound per thousand square feet. Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate.

October: Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate. Apply 5 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

YEM
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Novice

Re: YEM 2023 Soil Test

Post by YEM » April 27th, 2023, 10:45 am

Thanks for the plan Morph! Got the first lime application down last weekend and will not forget the second this fall.