Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
ruth_mi
Grass Type: KBG mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Ruth 2023 Soil Test

Post by ruth_mi » April 13th, 2023, 11:21 am

Sampled between 3” and 4”

Lawn is ~ 2200 sf. Dormant seeded a KBG mix (SSS sunny mix) in Jan 2021 (total reno). Didn’t use pre-M in 2022 and had a fair bit of crabgrass. Ready to do more this year and already have prodiamine down.

Goal is to have a very good lawn – doesn’t need to be perfect, but I want to keep it as healthy, thick, and weed-free as reasonably possible. I’d like to hear the “best” approach.

Mowing – got rid of my lawn service last year and bought my own mower. I keep up with mowing and mow higher in summer.

No irrigation, but I do use a rain gauge and try to water long and deep when needed. I really need to get out the tuna cans to measure though. Don’t mind the lawn not looking great mid-summer, but I don’t want its health to suffer.

Thanks for doing this -- I appreciate being able to get quality feedback to the test. Beyond that, I’ve spent hours searching and reading on this site and have learned a ton. Still a lot to learn but making progress!

I think my posts still need approval, so will post in queue when I can.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Ruth 2023 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 15th, 2023, 10:46 am

Your soil is showing as a heavy soil with a TEC of almost 19, but I think you have a borderline calcareous soil even though the resulting pH isn't what I'd typically see for a calcareous soil. I'm going to ask that you request an Ammonium Acetate test in 2024 - that will confirm it, or not.

The rest of the interpretation is going to assume is for a calcareous soil - the amount of Calcium is just causing exaggeration of important numbers. The Base Saturation of Calcium is almost 85% when it should be between 65 and 70. This means that Magnesium is pushed lower on Base Saturation than it really is, and Potassium too (but Potassium is still low even after adjustment.

The Organic Matter number is great.

The pH is somewhat high (again from the Calcium), but not terrible. It will however affect Iron bioavailability.

Phosphorus is good,

Micronutrients are fine, but definitely stay away from Boron applications.

Iron is OK but musch is not bioavailable at your pH.

So, what to do? I'd get Sulfate of Potash (SOP) for Potassium, and apply at 2 lbs/K every six weeks.

There is very little we can do about the surplus of Calcium, but the Ammonium Acetate test next year.

Nitrogen applications are up to you unless you ask for help there.

ruth_mi

Post by ruth_mi » April 15th, 2023, 12:21 pm

Thank you Andy! Will do the SOP apps and yes, set on nitrogen. Will ask for the Ammonium Acetate next year too. Appreciate your time on this.

ruth_mi

Post by ruth_mi » April 17th, 2023, 10:32 am

I have a couple questions about the SOP apps. First, should I do the first app now, or wait until it's a little warmer? Also, should I apply every six weeks right through the summer, and when should I stop? Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 17th, 2023, 6:10 pm

SOP doesn't force top growth, so you're fine to go when you'd like.

For the very same reasons (avoiding applications during stressful period), you can apply any non-freezing weather.

ruth_mi

Post by ruth_mi » April 17th, 2023, 6:38 pm

Makes sense - thanks.