Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Spacklerstyle 2023 Soil Test

Post by Spacklerstyle » April 17th, 2023, 10:52 am

Hey Gurus,

Here is my 2023 Logan Ammonium Acetate analysis. As always I appreciate the sage guidance to produce the most optimal, golf course lawn possible. I am mowing with a reel E3D at 3/8". Last season I followed the recommended guidance and I'm happy to report June/July was the best my lawn has ever looked. It was a pristine, manicured and deep green carpet turf. Then, the drought through August/Sept hit, and... well.. it regressed a bit as you might expect. However, I was very pleased overall with the season. More of that please! It looks like OM, P, & B all improved but still low, yes? What is crazy to me is the TEC? How could it change so drastically like that? Seems odd - I am pretty sure I was using the layer between 3-4", but maybe my depth changed? Anyway, looking forward to your comments and advice!!

2022 Soil Test Linked below
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27035&p=350409&hil ... le#p350409

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Spacklerstyle 2023 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 17th, 2023, 7:08 pm

How could it change so drastically like that?
It can't - unless you sent a limestone boulder to Logan. That's exactly what I'd expect to see if somebody didn't do an AA test, when an AA test was warranted.

Call Susan at Logan Labs and ask for a retest if they have enough soil left from your samples. They generally save them for 2 weeks before discarding them. Susan is good people, and they'll likely retest it for free. This time, make sure they do an AA test.

I'm not going to interpret the current tests, and will take you off the queue, with your permission,,,

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » April 17th, 2023, 7:33 pm

Ok, thanks Andy. Crazy. They noted it AA… but clearly something is amiss. I’ll call tomorrow.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » April 18th, 2023, 1:11 pm

Ok, Andy - Logan sent me a revised analysis (and credited my account for the trouble). Great people, as you said.

Here is the updated 2023 sample, which is much more in line! Also, something I didn't mention above, I'd be open to any thoughts you may have on using STP (or maybe MAP, etc) to supplement the P shortage further. Although, using the starter fert last year at 1 lb P per 1000 each month did give me a nice 46 pt jump... Interested in your thoughts on the optimal /preferred approach. I did aerate and spread a good 7 cu yds of compost across my 5700 sq feet a week ago. Prior to that I put down some Sustane (8-2-4) at the end of March at 1 lb N / 1000... really for more organic support than anything. It's definitely overpriced, but I splurged... As usual, micros are still in play. Thank you in advance for the guidance.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 18th, 2023, 9:51 pm

I'm not surprised at all in either the test popping back to your "normal",or in Logan's handling of the matter...

I see a heavy calcareous soil and the reason for the pH and TEC. I've also got to admit that I think differently about the solution. Yeah, the MAP and STP and it all sounds like the science and pure solution. But I believe in simple solutions - when P and K are both short (and they are) I head to get balanced fertilizers like 10-10-10,19-19-19, etc. Nothing fancy. When I see a low organic-matter number, I think of leaves, compost and peat moss. The goal is to HOLD what you've already applied, and keep the number of applications reasonable so you aren't burned out by the all work. With balanced fertilizers, you go around the yard once and you've got P, K and N done. The tree leaves deliver more P and K and help soil tilth, slowly.

Iron is very low on your soil, but it hardly matters because none of it is bioavailable at your pH. The only way to get great color is to apply Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate (FAS) every 3-4 weeks with a sprayer. If interested, see the material in the Articles or FAQ part of the site.

The only micronutrient that's low is Boron. Apply 4 tablespoons/K every 60 days during the growing season, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Listen Carl - you can ignore everything I wrote above and put down MAP. TSP or anything else. It's your lawn and soil. But if you really want to improve the soil and lawn, give serious attention to the OM and build great soil.

If you decide that you want this interpretation rewritten for MAP or TSP, let me know...

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » April 18th, 2023, 11:36 pm

I will go with your wise council. Balanced it is. How would you suggest working in the Milo with B? Milo has always done great on my lawn. Should I simply alternate balanced and Milo at 1 lb N /K every other month? Or stick with monthly apps of the balanced and add the Milo + B off cycle every 60 days? If off cycle, should I throttle back the balanced on months I apply Milo so I don’t overdo the N for the month? I’d prefer to apply 3 bags (96 lbs) for my 5700 square feet each time I apply the Milo for several reasons. 1) Milo does great for my lawn 2) 3 bags is almost exactly 1 lb N / K. 3) my front yard is ~ 1/3 of the total square footage, so one bag each for the front, half the back, and the other half of the back makes for easy application measurements.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 19th, 2023, 4:40 am

You can alternate Milo and balanced stuff monthly on either schedule. There is nothing magical about the 60 days - you can wait for the next date scheduled if you choose to.