Taylor's Rear Yard - 2023

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
greenie_meanie
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Taylor's Rear Yard - 2023

Post by greenie_meanie » April 22nd, 2023, 10:30 am

This is a new home, finally renovated the back yard. It was all kudzo and had severe stormwater draining issues. After getting rid of kudzu, leveled the yard, cut in some terraces, brought in some fil dirt and I have roughly 3,000 sqft that I will apply grass to. The gutters on the home now drain outside the yard dimensions and the stormwater issue is fixed. I have my soil results from Logan Labs. I plan to hire a friend's reference to lay down TifTuf bermuda. They say their process will be tilling the ground, applying Soil3 compost/sand, starter fertilizer, lime, then prepare final grade, then lay sod and use motorized roller tool. I want to address any soil deficiencies as I can before they come, and even after depending on the recommended scheudle. There will be no irrigation, but I have a hose and several sprinklers I will use when not getting enough rain. I want to be able to mow low (.5-1inch eventually) and I am good about mowing 2x/week. Let me know what else I can provide. Thank you so much.

greenie_meanie

Re: Taylor's Rear Yard - 2023

Post by greenie_meanie » April 22nd, 2023, 10:36 am

Also, the sod job is about 3-5 weeks out.

Was thinking of doing the Humichar either before they come, or when they mix in the starter fert. Suggestions on this as well?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 23rd, 2023, 10:53 am

With all the stuff that the installation crew plans to do, I wouldn't do anything now (maybe except the Humichar). I would do another test AFTER 6-8 weeks after the installation. We don't want to double-up anything, and with the shape the soil is currently in, it wills be several years before we get that soil where you want it.

Go ahead and let the installers do their thing.

greenie_meanie

Post by greenie_meanie » April 23rd, 2023, 7:12 pm

Thank you Andy, is it that bad?

Do you recommend the Humichar? How much if so. I will take your advice on this since the internet seems so contradicting on humic. The PH seems about right for bermuda? I will do as you say and get another sample 8 weeks after install. I'm guess you won't recommend me hitting it with any further fertilizer after install up to the 8 weeks?

I do want this grass to do well since I'm paying a lot (for me) to lay the sod with a professional instead of just throwing it down myself.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 23rd, 2023, 8:57 pm

Is it that bad? No. But your idea that you can fix the soil with one weekend of effort after there has been a decade of poor care is misdirected. It will take 3-4 years of applications if you apply effort, and longer if you don't to turn it around. This not a glass that you just refill, it's closer to a living creature that needs care.

greenie_meanie

Post by greenie_meanie » April 23rd, 2023, 10:34 pm

I am sincerely sorry if I gave off the impression that I could do anything in a weekend. I probably misspoke or phrased my response poorly. It has taken me over 2 years to get the point where I am at now where I can put down sod. I’ve been probably thinking too much about it anyway.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 24th, 2023, 7:43 am

This is the quote that got me thinking that you thought that it could be done with a "one and done" treatment before the installers get to work:
I want to address any soil deficiencies as I can before they come
the sod job is about 3-5 weeks out.
As you mentioned, they will be putting down fertilizer. What happens if I give you a plan that puts the same fertilizer (or reasonably close) that the installers use? A double application, which could cause damage to the sod.

greenie_meanie

Post by greenie_meanie » April 24th, 2023, 8:26 am

Sorry we got off on hard start, internet chatting is full of misunderstanding and miscommunications due to the nature of the chat box. My view on lawn care is it is year-round "care" and a job. I was excited about finally being in the soil/sod stage and also worried about the sod just dying off after the first year (why I said is it that bad?). The "deficiencies before they come" only meant = is there anything I should do before the sod is down covering the dirt. That was kinda in relation to the Humichar that I "heard" was highly recommended to put down before the sod but I still don't even know if I need it or its recommended. If everything is equally addressed once the grass is on top, then great; I just thought there was an opportunity. I can see how my comment was misleading...but, I will do as you say and get a retest.