sm11963 - 2023 Fall Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
sm11963
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

sm11963 - 2023 Fall Soil Test

Post by sm11963 » November 23rd, 2023, 4:33 pm

Hello AroundTheYard members! I would really appreciate some help interpreting my first soil test. I am new to lawn care since purchasing my first home last year and spending a lot of time myself reworking the backyard, installing drainage/irrigation, and then grow TTTF from seed.

Details:
  • Soil type: Clay loam. It was very clay heavy when I started, but I took a ton (well actually something like 10+ tons) of original dirt out and brought in compost mixes to till into the top 6inches of soil when I first started out. I haven't done the soil breakdown test in water recently (waiting for some rain to pass and will update this post).
  • 1300 sqft
  • Turf Types: TTTF (from GCI seeds, combo of "GCI Turf Type Tall fescue Grass Seed" and "GCI Turf Spreader Elite Grass Seed"
  • Sun: full sun on entire yard for at least 4h /day, partial shade across the yard for another 4h
  • Region: San Francisco Bay Area
  • Watering: about 0.7" / week
  • Mowing: about every other week, I'm a bit inconsistent right now.
  • Disease: I don't think I've experienced anything yet. I do see a bit of yellowing of the grass on one side of my yard, not clear to me if this is disease or a nutrient/water issue.
  • Weed pressure: there was quite a bit after our initial growth, but after a concentrated effort of removing them (pulling manually), seeing much less weed activity.
  • Challenges: Gophers, small patches of very lush, green, fast growing grass throughout the yard with the rest of the yard not seeming as healthy.
I have attached both a Soil and Water test (I was curious about the water I use for irrigation so I figured why not). The Soil test has two zones, A and B, which are from the same lawn, just the left and right side (because the left is doing a bit better and I was curious if there were soil differences).

I am thinking I need to get the Ph down a bit to help the grass utilize more iron but I'm not quite sure where to start on that yet. I also don't have a regular fertilization routine/preference yet so I'm also open to any suggestions for Nitrogen.

Thanks for any insights you can provide! :P