Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Clemsonfan15
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Clemsonfan Winter 2024 Soil Test

Post by Clemsonfan15 » March 7th, 2024, 10:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been reading plenty of posts over the past year or two on my way towards trying to become more knowledgeable about lawn care. I recently received the results from our first soil analysis and was hoping to get your advice with an interpretation. I sent the sample to Clemson University before I saw the preference to use Logan's.

Area: ~2 acres
Grass: Believed to be Centipede
Water: Rainfall only
Sun: Full sun

I am a little confused by their recommendations as my research has advised that relatively speaking a lower soil pH is good for Centipede and that phosphorus levels should be kept low.

Any thoughts on what is actually needed?

Thank you.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Clemsonfan Winter 2024 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 9th, 2024, 9:45 pm

We really only read Logan Labs soil tests (the reason is that we can't familiarize ourselves with every soil tests' accuracy, which is generally not that great, measurements, and range of recommendations terribly easily). But I don't mind taking a very general stab at it, with the realization that I'm giving this a very, very general read only, won't make most recommendations based on this test, and I'm going to only use it as the most general of guides.

Centipede is one of the most forgiving grasses, and is easily outcompeted in decent soil by practically any plant, so you actually want what the rest of us would call depleted, poor soils that would destroy our grasses.

You're pretty much there. Potassium is almost adequate, if a bit low, while magnesium is low and calcium is off the charts low. Most minor elements ride where they should be (which is fine), while boron is high enough to be a slight problem for more-sensitive plants (centipede is not one of them). Optimal pH for centipede is actually 5.5 to 6.0; you're a bit low, but not so severely out of range that it's a major issue.

Honestly, don't do much of anything. If you did lime, it should be a slowly available dolomite and not much of it, enough to kick the pH 0.3-0.4 points at maximum. Assuming a sandy soil, about 10 pounds per thousand square feet and see where you are next year. Tops. And I wouldn't bother.

The slightly-less optional recommendation would be 3 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet, once this year. Centipede does like adequate potassium.

Other than that, feed as per centipede's normal schedule; once in May, once early summer, and once late summer. You could also use 20-0-20 fertilizer (or any fertilizer with a large first and third number and a zero or extremely low number in the second place) instead of the potassium sulfate to raise potassium a little.

Clemsonfan15
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Clemsonfan Winter 2024 Soil Test

Post by Clemsonfan15 » April 7th, 2024, 3:37 pm

MorpheusPA - I appreciate your thorough response as I start the lawn journey. It sounds like we're going to have fun purchasing and applying several hundred pounds of product over the next month or two.