Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Spacklerstyle 2024 Soil Test

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 16th, 2024, 11:29 am

Happy 2024 Andy/Morph,

Please find my 2024 soil test. I tested the front and back separately this year given I was not pleased with the quality in the back last year. As expected, the front produced what appears to be a slightly better result. For years I have been applying the same treatments to the front and back, I think the back I just gets washed out given the grade. I'm curious if your recommendations for treating the back will differ. I am going for my personal gold standard once again this year - manicured golf course lawn. I am cutting with a powered reel at 3/8" E3D.

As always, thank you so much for your sage counsel.

2023 Soil Test
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27356&p=353041&hil ... le#p353030

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Spacklerstyle 2024 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 16th, 2024, 1:37 pm

Hello, calcium soil. From last year, your OM is doing exactly what I expect--not that much. It takes a while for the stuff to work down, so continue onward with applying OM. And yes, there's a distinct front/back difference, which is fairly normal for a slope. We can fix that. Try to apply things when gentler rainfalls are expected, not before a deluge, which will tend to wash off more than it washes in, or irrigate immediately after applications in back (time it with any watering you do). That will help.

I'm not precisely pleased with phosphorus either front or back; front is MUCH better, but still low given the binding calcium, which renders phosphorus harder to access. Back is closer to "abysmal," and definitely costing you lawn quality. Consequently, I'm going to continue onward with the balanced fertilizers from last year, so 20-20-20 if you sourced that, 10-10-10, whatever. If you want to use Milo with it, great. Soybean meal, perfect. Cottonseed meal, have at. Peat, compost, leaves, absolutely (although these do not measurably feed the lawn).

Potassium is kind of low-ish on both, but nothing particularly severe (it looks far worse than it is). I wouldn't mind adding some, hence the balanced fertilizer.

Boron went down, which can happen in a rainy year, or just because it got used. Let's try that again. Copper's a tad low in the back, but not severe enough for me to bother with it unless you're complaining about disease issues.

Iron's extremely low, but at that pH, there's no reason to bother. It won't be available anyway.

I don't know your climate well enough to know when the grass starts to or stops growing, so I kind of winged the feeding schedule. You know it better than I do. I'm sure it starts by May; my previous supervisor was usually complaining of the heat by then!

Recommendations:

April: Apply 4 tablespoons/K 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide. If the lawn started to grow, feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

May: Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

June: Apply 4 tablespoons/K 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide. Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

July: Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

August: Apply 4 tablespoons/K 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide. Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

September, if the lawn is still in active growth: Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

October, if the lawn is still in active growth: Feed with any balanced fertilizer at the 1-pound of nitrogen per thousand square feet rate.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 16th, 2024, 5:49 pm

Thanks Morph! I greatly appreciate it. The lawn is already growing. We had a crazy warm February and are already off to the races. How would you recommend the spacing on the Milorganite +B and the balanced? 2 weeks apart? i.e., balanced on April 1, balanced on April 15? Also, ive been using a slow release fert with the polymer coating, but I’m wondering if a quicker release would be better given the Milo off cycle schedule. Any strong opinions here?

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 18th, 2024, 9:40 am

Spacklerstyle wrote:
March 16th, 2024, 5:49 pm
2 weeks apart? i.e., balanced on April 1, balanced on April 15?
Sorry Morph, type above… in the example I meant to write “Milo+B April 1, balanced April 15?”

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 18th, 2024, 2:15 pm

I have no strong opinion. Two weeks apart would be great, but if you want to drop them the same day, it's not really going to matter much. If you're using the Milo at that time, you can also slack back with the feeding to about half to two-thirds rate for that point (the Milo contains a lot of phosphorus, and as noted, potassium really isn't that short).

If the feed is slow release, half rate. There's no real reason to put down two slow release fertilizers at the same time, but the Milo's normal feeding rate tends toward the low end anyway.