REPPEND's 2024 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
reppend
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Blueberry monostand) Rear: KBG (Prosperity, Brilliant, Midnight)
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

REPPEND's 2024 Soil Test

Post by reppend » March 27th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Howdy folks! It's about that time again! Soil-test-O'Clock, and here we goooo.

This is the second year at the new lawn, and after a ton of work last year, the soil actually isn't in the dumpster anymore. Although, the low-ish calcium and pH numbers aren't the best. I'm always so antsy to see what you all have to say, so fire at will!!! So here's the scoop:

On what I consider a high maintenance level
Irrigation via inground system, deep and infrequent roughly 1" per week +/- 10% - 15% depending on conditions
My mission remains the same this year: keep the soil in a state that will give my lawn the best conditions possible to thrive! Simple, time/cost and/or cutting corners is not my usual MO when it comes to the soil.

As always, all of your advice and expertise is greatly appreciated!!!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: REPPEND's 2024 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 29th, 2024, 11:11 am

Sadly, there is nothing attached to this post or I'd be more than happy to read it for you.

reppend
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Blueberry monostand) Rear: KBG (Prosperity, Brilliant, Midnight)

Post by reppend » March 29th, 2024, 11:25 am

Hrmm, I can see the test attached.

Maybe if you go straight to the link below?
https://postimg.cc/643txm9w

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » March 29th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Now it shows up. This happens sometimes when I have 35 windows open...

You're actually in exceptionally good shape at this point; your soil is going to be one where the soil balances at a lower pH (mine does this as well, with the balance point around 6.0 to 6.1--yours looks like 6.2 or so). The calcium levels are already within normal range at 61%, magnesium is perfect, potassium is outstanding.

I would like to maintain a stop-hold on the calcium and nudge it a bit, so given that you also have a pretty dense soil, let's go with a high calcitic lime (I really don't care about fast or slow, just something with extremely low magnesium to avoid destroying that really flawless balance you have). We're talking <3% magnesium. I just got a slow calcitic (no humates) that has 1.1% magnesium in it, which would be perfect. And another fast one with <1% magnesium, also perfect.

If fast (it'll say fast on the label), apply at 5 pounds per thousand square feet. If slow (and it'll be a lot cheaper, like $6 a bag or so), apply at around 10 pounds per thousand square feet. Just once.

Copper is through the roof, and I have no idea why. Suffice to say you don't need any; 2 PPM is more normal. Manganese and zinc are also high, so I suspect you may be sitting on a metal mine... :-)

Boron is actually a little low. You don't need the phosphorus, so this isn't something you need to do for the phosphorus, but see the Micronutrient Application Guide. You'll use just enough Milorganite to spread the 20 Mule Team Borax (grocery store). Otherwise, use a low-phosphorus feed as P is fairly well-available at that pH and that's nice.

Iron is a bit low for best color (although, again, fairly available at that pH, which is always nice). Milorganite would help with iron....but you don't require the P. If you use synthetic feeds, try to find ones with iron in them. If organic, soybean meal is great (it's not huge on iron, though), and maybe add 1 feed of Milorganite in there once per year.

Recommendations

May: Apply 5 tablespoons per thousand square feet of 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide

September: Apply 5 tablespoons per thousand square feet of 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide

October: Apply 5 tablespoons per thousand square feet of 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide

reppend

Post by reppend » April 1st, 2024, 1:33 pm

Thanks, Morph! You never cease to amaze me.