'New' House old lawn Restoration 2020

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Northern Weeds
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

'New' House old lawn Restoration 2020

Post by Masbustelo » January 11th, 2020, 5:29 am

In several weeks I take possession of this house with 24,000 feet of lawn. The photos from last year don't show much grass, more weeds. My plans are to do a soil test in April, set height of cut at 3 inches, develop a fertilizer plan, and spot spray for weeds through out the season, and properly rake and mulch leaves. Yesterday I bought 30 pounds of Mustang 4 and Falcon 4 TTTF that I plan to dormant seed in two weeks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 'New' House old lawn Restoration 2020

Post by andy10917 » January 11th, 2020, 9:52 am

Congrats! You probably want to update your profile - that's a big change from the previous lawn size.

I'm not a big fan of dormant seeding - I find it hit-and-miss, and it becomes tougher to determine when the germination occurs. That means that it's also tougher to determine when you can use herbicides too. Is this an overseed or spot seed or what? 30 lbs of seed doesn't go very far on 24K of lawn...

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » January 11th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Andy From what I can see in the pictures I posted the rear yard was largely weeds and crabgrass. Meaning that this spring it will be mostly dirt. They ran a couple of big dogs out there that together with the big shade tree wiped out the grass. Also it had a new septic field two years ago and it is weeds there too. Germination wise I've had good luck with dormant seeding.I know the 30 pounds of seed isn't a lot, but it fit yesterdays budget. I'll have to use it where it seems to be needed the most, but it will probably go down over snow. At least I can get some real grass started. I don't plan on blanket spraying herbicides, rather spot spraying as the year progresses. I'll have to see how it plays out. No leaves were raked or mulched, so the entire lawn is being choked out at the moment.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » January 12th, 2020, 10:02 am

Masbustelo,

Looks like a great project! I'm sure you will get it looking great in no time. One thing I didn't see you mention is pre-M...I'd want to put down a pre-M, like Prodiamine, in the spring. Maybe even hold that seed for the fall and get the weeds under control first with a simple triangle approach in addition to the pre-M and also work on the soil improvement after testing.

Kent

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » January 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

Hi Kent I think my thing with pre-emergents is that I have avoided chemicals as much as possible my whole adult life. I had planned on getting a degree in turf management at one point but left the field because of all the chemicals. I had another yard that was a weed patch, it came around nicely in one year by raising HOC, fertilization, and spot spraying for weeds. Also with pre-m I don't want to run into overseeding complications in the fall. By spot spraying individual weeds I shouldn't have problems with new emerging seedlings, thinks I. I know there are conflicting thoughts on all of this.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » January 12th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Masbustelo wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:03 am
Hi Kent I think my thing with pre-emergents is that I have avoided chemicals as much as possible my whole adult life. I had planned on getting a degree in turf management at one point but left the field because of all the chemicals. I had another yard that was a weed patch, it came around nicely in one year by raising HOC, fertilization, and spot spraying for weeds. Also with pre-m I don't want to run into overseeding complications in the fall. By spot spraying individual weeds I shouldn't have problems with new emerging seedlings, thinks I. I know there are conflicting thoughts on all of this.
Understood... now that you mention this, I do remember this from your other posts.