Fastboat’s 2022 front Reno- second time’s a charm?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
fastboat
Grass Type: Front Reno 8/14 with Bewitched, Blueberry, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Fastboat’s 2022 front Reno- second time’s a charm?

Post by fastboat » August 7th, 2022, 11:42 am

It’s been 7 years or so since my first ever Reno, with slow degradation in overall quality, plus an exterior house renovation caused some damage this Summer. I’m going with a Bewitched mono stand like I did in the back yard 3 years ago.
I’ve significantly torn up the old lawn and disturbed the entire lawn area. I’ll also be adding some soil/ compost to fill in some low spots and slightly regrade. The glyphosate kill was 10 days ago and the major stir up was yesterday. I put down some JG magical plus and sprayed molasses, and I’m going to keep it moist as best I can for a week or two to get the loose dead grass to break down, and the weeds to grow before final kill. Which brings a couple questions for the membership-
Does anyone experienced with fallowing have a recommendation on a spray fertilizer that worked well to speed things up? I have some urea I could spread but I’m thinking a spray might work quicker.
Is there a generally recommended minimum fallow period? I did my first Reno on this yard with a seed down date in late September with no problems, so I am confident I can give this a few weeks. I would like to plant seed earlier than that this time, so that’s why I ask. Ideally I would like to fallow for two weeks max. I didn’t fallow on either of my previous renovations (one front and one rear) and tenacity was likely the reason for success. I’ll be following that same process this time. Unfortunately the final soil addition will not be able to be fallowed, so I’m hoping it will not have too much weed seed in it. Again, tenacity should do the job on that.
Thanks for any fallow experience you can share.
Dave

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fastboat’s 2022 front Reno- second time’s a charm?

Post by gryd » August 8th, 2022, 5:12 pm

fastboat wrote:
August 7th, 2022, 11:42 am
It’s been 7 years or so since my first ever Reno, with slow degradation in overall quality, plus an exterior house renovation caused some damage this Summer. I’m going with a Bewitched mono stand like I did in the back yard 3 years ago.
I’ve significantly torn up the old lawn and disturbed the entire lawn area. I’ll also be adding some soil/ compost to fill in some low spots and slightly regrade. The glyphosate kill was 10 days ago and the major stir up was yesterday. I put down some JG magical plus and sprayed molasses, and I’m going to keep it moist as best I can for a week or two to get the loose dead grass to break down, and the weeds to grow before final kill. Which brings a couple questions for the membership-
Does anyone experienced with fallowing have a recommendation on a spray fertilizer that worked well to speed things up? I have some urea I could spread but I’m thinking a spray might work quicker.
Is there a generally recommended minimum fallow period? I did my first Reno on this yard with a seed down date in late September with no problems, so I am confident I can give this a few weeks. I would like to plant seed earlier than that this time, so that’s why I ask. Ideally I would like to fallow for two weeks max. I didn’t fallow on either of my previous renovations (one front and one rear) and tenacity was likely the reason for success. I’ll be following that same process this time. Unfortunately the final soil addition will not be able to be fallowed, so I’m hoping it will not have too much weed seed in it. Again, tenacity should do the job on that.
Thanks for any fallow experience you can share.
Dave
I think 2 weeks of fallowing will be fine. 2.5 to 3 weeks might be a little better. I fallowed my side yard for approximately 2.5 weeks 10 years ago. I had very few poa plants as a result.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Fastboat’s 2022 front Reno- second time’s a charm?

Post by turf_toes » August 8th, 2022, 6:56 pm

Yes. My experience is the only time you need a longer fallowing period is when trying to remove warm-season grass, like Zoysia.

In that case, I started in June and did it through mid-August