Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
CDLehner
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Post by CDLehner » November 12th, 2015, 5:07 pm

DAY 32

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » November 12th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Did you get to spraying those broadleaf weeds that you were talking about?

Yard is looking great! Does it look that good while standing in it looking down?

Take a look at past recommendations for cutting heights - and keep at cutting it fairly short (~2.5"?) until growth stops this fall.

When grass stops growing completely and mower is put away put down a fertilizer (winterizer application). My guess being near coast your fall and slow growth drags on into Late November or December? This is a critical and one of the most important fertilizer app of the year (along with early fall apps). Read up on Fall Fertiliziing and Winterizing in the Cool Grass Section.

From the looks of it you should be able to cut back the watering - to pretty much 1" each week if weather is warm - but likely this time of the year 1" every other week unless you are seeing signs of "grey" or grass not bouncing back minute or so after walking on it.

oh... and did you Roundup your neighbors yard to make yours look better?

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » November 12th, 2015, 8:37 pm

CDLehner wrote:
llO0DQLE wrote:lolthisthread

[ Post made via Android ] Image
I amuse?
34 pages

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 12th, 2015, 9:26 pm

BoatDrinksQ5 wrote:Did you get to spraying those broadleaf weeds that you were talking about?

No; wasn't sure I could. It's been a month; so just find something, that says it's safe after a month...and shoot carefully? I do still have some tenacity??

Yard is looking great! Does it look that good while standing in it looking down?

IDK; I'll find out tomorrow :good:

Take a look at past recommendations for cutting heights - and keep at cutting it fairly short (~2.5"?) until growth stops this fall.

When grass stops growing completely and mower is put away put down a fertilizer (winterizer application). My guess being near coast your fall and slow growth drags on into Late November or December? This is a critical and one of the most important fertilizer app of the year (along with early fall apps). Read up on Fall Fertiliziing and Winterizing in the Cool Grass Section.

Will do!

From the looks of it you should be able to cut back the watering - to pretty much 1" each week if weather is warm - but likely this time of the year 1" every other week unless you are seeing signs of "grey" or grass not bouncing back minute or so after walking on it.

Oh...so start going deep and infrequent already?

oh... and did you Roundup your neighbors yard to make yours look better?

LOL. The ironic thing is; if you look back, at one of my first pics. It's my neighbors yard (not the same one; other corner, aka Lawn Lady)...that catches everyone's eye. Now my lawn, is outshining...at least some of my neighbors!

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Re: Save Me From TruGreen?

Post by LoneRanger » November 19th, 2015, 10:21 am

andy10917 wrote:.. This thread will be forgotten as a comparison/discussion thread.
Is this one of those Coke spit moments?

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 20th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Man...why haters gotta hate?

I need one last piece of advice for the season, but I guess I better forget it.

It's just grass fellas.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » November 20th, 2015, 12:56 pm

All kidding aside, you got one helluva thread going. Kudos!

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 20th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Well...it is what it is. I'm done for the season fellas; AFAIC, there's 2 things left to do...and wait for Spring.

1) I need to cut, one last time. If you'll re-call...I couldn't do the first cut, that short; because the push-mower I borrowed...didn't have an adjustable deck. Going to tractor-mow this time...but frost is coming; 35, 44, 29, 29, 31 are the next 5 night lows. Cut today or tomorrow...before the really low temps hit; and go short this time?

2) Then I need to put down a fertilizer (winterizer application); as BoatDrink suggested...a few threads back. He said read up on Fall Fertiliziing and Winterizing in the Cool Grass Section; so I guess I'll do that, and see if I follow.

Thanks

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » November 20th, 2015, 3:18 pm

My hats off to you for staying at it. :hello: A lot of folks would have thrown in the towel. :blackeye:

With temps like that coming, go ahead and do your final height mow. If it's too long just do a double mow. Cut once at your normal height and then again at your final height. 2 cuts in one day isn't going to hurt it. Plus you'll chop up the blades of grass finer.

BuckeyeChuck
Grass Type: Blueberry

Post by BuckeyeChuck » January 19th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Can't wait to see this in 2016.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 3rd, 2016, 2:00 pm

Ah; Spring has sprung...without me. Or at least, without my being "prepared".

Things are looking, a little too "fuzzy"...and like their old selves; for my taste.

Then again...after a warm spell, here in DelMarVa; we've taken a good bit of rain (hence the growth)...and have some chilly times, before Winter relinquishes it's grip

So maybe it's best...that I haven't, done anything yet?

Maybe not, lol :sorry:

So...what's my course of action: Cut? Water?? Pre-em???

Eck
Grass Type: front: 2014 reno (Spyder LS, Titanium LS, Raptor II), back: transcontinental bermuda

Post by Eck » April 3rd, 2016, 2:14 pm

The flowery trees across the street tells me at the very least it's probably time for pre-emergent

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 3rd, 2016, 2:52 pm

Eck wrote:The flowery trees across the street tells me at the very least it's probably time for pre-emergent

OK; pre-em of choice around here??

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 3rd, 2016, 4:25 pm

So I was reading...

Early March is the time to apply pre-emergent herbicides to lawns. These products are usually applied as a granular and then watered in to the lawn. If your summer lawn is typically weedy, applying a pre-emergent now could help reduce summer weeds, depending on the type of weeds you have and the health of your lawn.

Pre-emergent herbicide products, often sold as crabgrass preventers, are effective for controlling summer annual grassy weeds such as crabgrass, sandbur, and goosegrass, but do not control perennial weeds such as dallisgrass, Florida betony, dollarweed, or bahiagrass. They will also have no effect on winter weeds such as chickweed, annual bluegrass, burrweed, or henbit, which are already growing. Avoid so-called ‘weed and feed’ products that contain fertilizer in addition to herbicide. Warm season lawns should not be fertilized until late April.

However...since I'm already into early April; should I just go ahead, with a weed-n-feed type product?

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » April 3rd, 2016, 8:20 pm

Look for a granular product in the fertilizer aisle that has no nitrogen but has Dimension or dithiopyr in the list of ingredients. Dimension is a brand name of dithiopyr. It is a pre-emergent but also has a post-emergent effect on very young crabgrass.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » April 3rd, 2016, 9:04 pm

CDLehner wrote:So...what's my course of action: Cut? Water?? Pre-em???
Do you really still need others to tell you when to cut and water? Step away from the keyboard and look at your grass and soil.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 4th, 2016, 1:06 pm

virginiagal wrote:Look for a granular product in the fertilizer aisle that has no nitrogen but has Dimension or dithiopyr in the list of ingredients. Dimension is a brand name of dithiopyr. It is a pre-emergent but also has a post-emergent effect on very young crabgrass.

And you need, to water-in...granular products, yes? I can look, surely; but...have one you like?

Thanks
Last edited by CDLehner on April 4th, 2016, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 4th, 2016, 1:13 pm

TimmyG wrote:
CDLehner wrote:So...what's my course of action: Cut? Water?? Pre-em???
Do you really still need others to tell you when to cut and water? Step away from the keyboard and look at your grass and soil.
Yes, at times; like the start of a new season...or end of a season.

Look...I manage, about 50 different things in my life; that I try to do, the "right way". If I memorized, proper techniques for them ALL...I wouldn't remember, my own f*cking name.

I get...some people of your ilk; like to rag on guys like me. Google, read your thread, etc. But I'm too busy for that bullsh*t; so I ask for help. If you want to help, I appreciate it; I certainly help others, in my various areas of "expertise"...because it's really no trouble at all. That's what it means, to be an "expert"; these things come easy to you.

If you don't want to help, well...I get it. But please...keep your disapproval to yourself. Thanks

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » April 4th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Yes, I mean "Look for" as a way of saying "I recommend." I have used Dimension. It kept the crabgrass away. Read the directions on the bag and follow them.

Cut before the grass gets too long. This spring cut it to 3 inches before it gets to 4.5 inches. In the summer cut it to 4 inches if it will stand up straight enough for that. In that case cut it before it gets to be 6 inches long. The rule is don't cut off more than 1/3 of the blade at a cutting. Leave the clippings on the lawn.

Water when the grass starts to wilt. If you leave footprints that don't spring up or if the grass changes to a duller color, water. Water one inch all at once and don't water again until the grass needs it. During the spring you may not have to water much. We generally get enough rain in the spring. Water whenever you add synthetic fertilizer or lime. For herbicides, follow the directions on the package about watering. I think for Dimension it says to water in. You could apply right before a rain.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » April 4th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Looks like from your weed growth and tree flowering - that its go time for you. Probably should give some thought as to what you did last spring/summer... and what pointers you have received since then. With the goal of not letting it happen again :) Did you put down any fertilizer last fall? Confused how it went from November photo...do this Spring.... :-/

Looks like it is time to fill up a 2gallon pump sprayer with a broadleaf weed killer mix (per directions) and when you have some time get out there and do some spraying. Try to make a habit of doing that every 10-15 days for the next couple months :) Don't need to cover entire yard each time, but just make a mental note of where you've covered. Once temperatures make it into the mid 80's you will want to hold off until a cold front rolls through. After a month or so - you could post any weeds that don't seem to be effected by your spraying.

Otherwise if you are interested in a nice yard and don't have the gumption to stay on top of it - you could look around for a local lawn maint company, mom&pop type place, and see if they would take care of your weed/fert care.