Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 21st, 2015, 10:20 pm

With the cooler soil temps, it will be slower to germinate. Hang in there and stay the course. There's nothing you can do now except be patient, anyway! Throwing more seed down surely isn't going to help!

I have a small section of grass that I seeded with KBG on 9/27, which is one day after our average first frost here. After 14 days, there was zero germination at all. I gave up on it and decided I would stop watering it multiple times a day. However, the very next day when I went out to mow the rest of the lawn, I noticed that there were little tiny baby grass seedlings all over the seeded area. I decided I better keep watering after all!

They've continued to grow some; they clearly aren't going to need mowing this year, but they seem to be large enough that they have a good shot at making it through the winter.

Hang in there; there's nothing you can do now other than wait, anyway!

PS: Remember this next time you are planning to put seed down, and get the seed down about 4-6 weeks earlier next time!

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » October 23rd, 2015, 1:51 pm

I overseeded in September but some areas just didn't come in well and I put some more seed (tttf) down on the thin areas on Oct. 12. Just today I am noticing some germination from that seed. Our climates are probably similar so maybe you will have some germination by this weekend. Next week looks mild, no frost in the 10 day forecast and if we're lucky, maybe the mild weather will continue into November. One problem you will have is when you try to cut grass, the ground is probably wet even if the grass has dried off. My grass needs cutting but I'm trying to hold off a while until that new grass comes up. The ground is damp and soft. When I last cut it on Oct. 12, right before the seeding, I was collecting dirt and grass in a sort of mud sticking under the deck and had to scrape it off afterwards. When you decide to mow, stop watering a day or two before mowing so the ground will dry out some. Make turns on hard surfaces or adjacent areas if possible. Set the mower as high as possible, since the older grass is probably quite long, and you want to avoid cutting more than 1/3 at a time if possible. You can mow lower (your normal height) after a few more days. Check under your deck after you mow. Sharpen your blade if you haven't done that lately.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

CDLehner
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by CDLehner » October 23rd, 2015, 7:37 pm

virginiagal wrote:I overseeded in September but some areas just didn't come in well and I put some more seed (tttf) down on the thin areas on Oct. 12. Just today I am noticing some germination from that seed. Our climates are probably similar so maybe you will have some germination by this weekend. Next week looks mild, no frost in the 10 day forecast and if we're lucky, maybe the mild weather will continue into November. One problem you will have is when you try to cut grass, the ground is probably wet even if the grass has dried off. My grass needs cutting but I'm trying to hold off a while until that new grass comes up. The ground is damp and soft. When I last cut it on Oct. 12, right before the seeding, I was collecting dirt and grass in a sort of mud sticking under the deck and had to scrape it off afterwards. When you decide to mow, stop watering a day or two before mowing so the ground will dry out some. Make turns on hard surfaces or adjacent areas if possible. Set the mower as high as possible, since the older grass is probably quite long, and you want to avoid cutting more than 1/3 at a time if possible. You can mow lower (your normal height) after a few more days. Check under your deck after you mow. Sharpen your blade if you haven't done that lately.

Thanks. Still holding out hope :beg:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 27th, 2015, 3:41 pm

UPDATE - Finally; some tiny, budding...signs of life.

Looks about like last year's, Day 10 pic; except it's Day 16.

I figure it's any number of factors, responsible for the delay:

- One, I started a little later (a little too late)
- Two, it's a partial reno/over-seed; so there is more grass and weed pressure, on the new seed
- Three...no top-soil/coat?
- Four, we did have kind of an early cold-snap this year (whereas, if memory serves; it was nice and unseasonably warm and sunny last year)

Also...last year; we had plenty of "natural" rain. This year...not so much. I've been doing 3 x 15, religiously; except skipping the morning watering, when I feel like the temperature has been too low.

Hoping some mild weather, and a good soak will help. Low of 55 tonight; 71/63 tomorrow, with a good rain planned.

73/47, 62/40, 62/46, 66/50, 68/52, 70/51, 70/50, 71/49.

Maybe I'll get lucky, after all?

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » October 27th, 2015, 4:19 pm

What are those tall grass-looking weeds in the first picture?

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 27th, 2015, 4:37 pm

seiyafan wrote:What are those tall grass-looking weeds in the first picture?
Crab-grass I'm guessing?

seiyafan

Post by seiyafan » October 27th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Doesn't look like crab grass to me from the color and shape.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 27th, 2015, 7:39 pm

seiyafan wrote:Doesn't look like crab grass to me from the color and shape.
Really tall...grass grass?? :confused:

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by crabgrass » October 28th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Looks good, CD. You're gonna have grassy weeds - don't sweat it. You have germination. Be pleased about that!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 28th, 2015, 10:13 pm

crabgrass wrote:Looks good, CD. You're gonna have grassy weeds - don't sweat it. You have germination. Be pleased about that!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Grassy weeds"? That doesn't sound so good :confused:

My guess...we're happy for germination, and we'll deal with the weeds later?

Been lucky past few days; warm, and humid. Little rain, and damp, damp, damp.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » October 29th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Did you have any annual rye in your mix?

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 29th, 2015, 11:20 pm

nclawnguy wrote:Did you have any annual rye in your mix?
No; seed is same as last year. Local stuff:

35% Rebel Advanced Tall Fescue
35% Brockton Tall Fescue
30% Greystone II Tall Fescue

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » October 31st, 2015, 7:13 pm

DAY 16

DAY 20 (Today)

ClintB
Grass Type: Northern mix fall 2020 reno to elite KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ClintB » October 31st, 2015, 7:32 pm

That looks great. Sharpen the mower blades and get ready. :)

seiyafan

Post by seiyafan » October 31st, 2015, 8:44 pm

Cut them to 2 inches.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 9th, 2015, 11:23 am

DAY 29

OK; so I'm finally getting around to first cut today. I know, I know; it's late...like everything else...but I was torn between borrowing a push-mower, buying one (when I hardly ever use it; really, just after seeding), or risk using the tractor (and I just borrowed a co-worker's push-mower).

But I am noticing, a few prominent patches of this. Now...I've had SEVERAL varieties of weeds in my yard; but I can't ever recall this particular guy. And from the way, it's growing in with the new seed; I figure it must have been in the mix?

What do I do; mow, then treat it? Treat it, wait...then mow?? Deal with it in the Spring???

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » November 9th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Mow and fairly short

then please re-read your thread for plenty of great advice and input on handling a new lawn.

salad green type weeds like that are killed very easy. A typical broadleaf weed killer will have a label that states time after germination that it can be safe to apply (ortho is at 3 mows). For those large guys - i would be inclined to do a light&careful spot spray after they bounce back from mowing on around day 2-3 post mow.

Tenacity lists two mows or 4wks whatever is longer - so could hit the trouble areas a couple days after m0w. That will give it closer to 4wks, and allow for mower foliage for herbicide to stick.

If those larger greens have a decent stem... might just be able to pull them easily.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 12th, 2015, 12:09 pm

BoatDrinksQ5 wrote:Mow and fairly short

then please re-read your thread for plenty of great advice and input on handling a new lawn.

salad green type weeds like that are killed very easy. A typical broadleaf weed killer will have a label that states time after germination that it can be safe to apply (ortho is at 3 mows). For those large guys - i would be inclined to do a light&careful spot spray after they bounce back from mowing on around day 2-3 post mow.

Tenacity lists two mows or 4wks whatever is longer - so could hit the trouble areas a couple days after m0w. That will give it closer to 4wks, and allow for mower foliage for herbicide to stick.

If those larger greens have a decent stem... might just be able to pull them easily.
Yeah; I hear ya BD. Don't ask, the same questions...the group answered last year. It's essentially the same project; so just go back and have a look.

Things turned out OK. I got the lawn mowed, just in time! Right after...we had this great, warm, humid, damp, rainy period; and the grass just soaked it up :good:

Now...I wasn't able to cut, as low as I probably should have. I borrowed a co-workers mower, because I know he's the type to keep his blade sharp. But I think he lent me, the sh*tiest of the bunch...lol; and it did not, have an adjustable deck. Hey...beggars can't be choosers.

I think I'm kinda "done" for the year? I'm going to water, and I'm thinking cut one more time; and at this point, I think it's OK...if I carefully use my tractor. That way...I can cut, to the appropriate height. Right...there's nothing more than that, I can do this year? I just have to have a better Spring; as far as my pre-emergence and such.

Only thing I need confirmed, real quick; is what my watering schedule should be at this point. I'm still doing, 2-3 x 15 minutes per day.

Thanks

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » November 12th, 2015, 2:09 pm

lolthisthread

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » November 12th, 2015, 5:03 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:lolthisthread

I amuse?