Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
CDLehner
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 10:47 am

OK...so I guess mine is a pretty typical story around here: crappy yard, no clue what to do; help!!! lol

Here's the story: had this house/yard, almost 7 years to the day. The wife and I are not really "yard" people; so what was a yard in only fair condition to begin with...over the years...has turned downright dreadful. But the last few years, I've been determined to do something about it. Last year, I bought a riding-tractor...so at least mowing it wouldn't seem like an unbearable chore; and this year, I'm determined to try and bring it around...but I'm not sure how to get off the ground, so to speak.

I've thought of sod; but I've been told, even sod...on top of bad soil and weeds...isn't a guarantee of lawn nirvana. I even decided, things have gotten so bad...I placed a call to TruGreen, for a consultation. But of course, they never even returned the inquiry...and perhaps it's just as well; because I'd really rather roll my sleeves up, and take some pride in this myself.

As I said...I'm not a "yard" guy; white-collar, computer geek...lol. But that's also exactly what brought me to this forum! I'm a big fan of the internet, and use these types of forums for all kinds of A/V and "computer" stuff; I thought "I can take the same approach to fix this f'in lawn"!

OK, so let's get into it. I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and my soil seems very, very sandy. There doesn't appear to be much grass; in the front yard at least (the back is at least somewhat "normal"). Of course...as I'm sure as is typical, for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing; weeds, weeds, weeds abound. So...more grass, less weeds is the order of the day.

What I have going for me: good mowing tractor, and sprinkler system. So...my amateur thought, is more grass = less weeds; like the best way to eliminate fat, is build muscle in its place. So I was thinking...just seed the shit out the yard; what I guess I have come to see, called over-seeding? Just try to grow, grow, grow...and control the weeds. But I don't know anything about my soil, what will grow there; what roll tilling, aerating, top-soil, etc. plays.

Being in a "rural" area (at least compared to what I'm used to...lol); there are plenty of co-ops around, and I even see they offer seed suited to this area (which I assume means, soil like a beach). I'm coming in knowing a) Rome isn't built in a day, and b) Spring takes a back-seat to Fall, as far as an ideal time for renovation. But I would take comfort in just getting some semblance of a lawn going this year; and knowing there's a plan in place, that I can move toward.

Seems like a friendly and active community; that's why I chose this one. Take mercy and help this poor soul?? TIA

CD
Last edited by CDLehner on October 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT

Re: Save Me From TruGreen?

Post by mattya » April 20th, 2013, 11:02 am

One of the better first posts I've read! Welcome to the site CD!
CDLehner wrote: I'm coming in knowing a) Rome isn't built in a day, and b) Spring takes a back-seat to Fall, as far as an ideal time for renovation.
You're already ahead of many people here :good:

Let's start off with some basic questions - How large is your lawn? Any pictures? What is your goal - Best lawn in the neighborhood or just less weeds, more grass? Are you thinking of a complete renovation or just over seeding, if necessary, this fall? What's your budget?

No matter the answers to these questions, the first recommendation you'll find here is for a soil test. Check out this thread for more details on how to get that done - http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/posting-s ... t9339.html

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2013, 11:08 am

Welcome, CD!!!

Chances are that you'll have to keep us in check - this is a community of lawn-lovers more than a community of people that are looking for OK with a minimum of effort. Remind us when you get recommendations to do big work for that last 10% of perfect.

BTW, there is no shortage of computer and engineering types here. Something about dirt is so different.

So, the big question: Where's your soil test?

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » April 20th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Welcome to the collective. :yahoo:

We'll have you converted to a lawn nut in no time. :rotfl:

First off, as Andy said you need a soil test. This site recommends UMass or the preferred Logan Labs. Here is the link to Logan's http://www.loganlabs.com/ You only need the $20 test. Then post the results in Soil Management.

Read this....http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/posting-s ... t9339.html

Next read this....http://aroundtheyard.com/home1/articles ... ement.html

Glad you know this is a marathon. Once the soil test is in you will be given recommendations. By following them you should see an improvement as the year goes by. Most likely a marked improvement. You will be surprised at how well the grass you have now will respond. You might even like it enough you don't need to renovate. BUT...once bitten by the lawn bug.... :rotfl:

Feel free to ask any question. The only dumb question is the one not asked. :good: Use the search buttons. Lots of good information already abounds here. If you like to read, just start reading back through old post. Lots of good stuff there.

One last thing. Since you are now a member, head to the members only section. Stop in to the "Who's Who on Bestlawn" and introduce yourself. :hello:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 12:41 pm

mattya wrote:One of the better first posts I've read! Welcome to the site CD!
CDLehner wrote: I'm coming in knowing a) Rome isn't built in a day, and b) Spring takes a back-seat to Fall, as far as an ideal time for renovation.

Let's start off with some basic questions - How large is your lawn? Any pictures? What is your goal - Best lawn in the neighborhood or just less weeds, more grass? Are you thinking of a complete renovation or just over seeding, if necessary, this fall? What's your budget?

No matter the answers to these questions, the first recommendation you'll find here is for a soil test. Check out this thread for more details on how to get that done - http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/posting-s ... t9339.html
OK; this is kinda hard to do. But I guess like therapy, or your basic 12-step (not that I have been to either ::ahem::); the first step is admitting you have a problem.

So...I am CD, and this is my lawn:

This is the "worst" of it (at least IMO); the "right" side. The very thick, thatch...always grows over where our septic is. I guess sh*t really does make things lush? Yes...we are surrounded by pines; so there is a lot of needles, and cones littered throughout the yard. Keep in mind...this is before I have done a single thing for the year; hence the post. In fact...when that thick patch gets unacceptable, that's when it's time to do the first mow of the year (even though you'll see in a minute, there's not much grass to mow...anywhere else)

The "left" side, is pretty much barren right now; not that it gets much better, as the Summer progresses. If it weren't for the weeds...there wouldn't be much green at all

(sidebar at this point: to answer the question, what is my goal - best lawn in the neighborhood or just less weeds, more grass? You can see, in this second pic, the best lawn in the neighborhood...lol. We call her "lawn lady"...though it's gone from a bit of a joke, to a badge of honor...lol. No, I don't need to have the best lawn in the neighborhood. "Good" lawn, with a like a medium amount of care and fuss, would suit me just fine)

Here are some close-ups...of a few of my strains of nemesis

this is the really thick stuff, over the septic...

some of this guy...

this looks like a newcomer; yea...

all starting to look the same to me; but this is probably another variety...

more weeds; and not the kind you should be talking about on 4/20...

and this lovely, mossy, brown thing...

::exhaling::

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Another issue I have...my ground is really "soft", and gives (I mean, like you sink down into it). My F-I-L says we have moles; but I always thought "well yeah...but wouldn't I see holes for them". And to this point, I don't recall really seeing a ton.

Ha; maybe I wasn't looking closely enough. When I went out to snap these pics...I have never seen the yard, littered like this! Swiss cheese!

So...if these are indeed mole-holes; then I've got that problem to solve too. You guys ready to give yet? lol

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 12:55 pm

mattya wrote:One of the better first posts I've read! Welcome to the site CD!

OK...so snapping some pics, and telling you my goals; that's the easy part.

I'll get on this soil-test (seems I've got some reading to do...and then I'm sure, some questions to be answered). As for budget; IDK. IDK what sh*t costs, so I don't really know what I'm willing to spend.

The less the better, of course; but right now...I guess I'd go $3-5k, if it meant getting to where I want to be.

Of course, I'm usually willing to trade money for a little elbow-grease (plus, there's that pride thing. I think Andy is right; something about the dichotomy of man...makes me want to slay this. Like, I can fix a computer network; I will not let the f*cking lawn beat me...lol).

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2013, 1:11 pm

All right - there's hope. Believe me (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one), my eyes jumped to Lawn Lady's lawn way before you pointed it out.

That's good news - it means that the native soil of the area can definitely support a good lawn.

And there's more support for that - when I see spots of LUSH grass in a reasonably-weak lawn, it says "nutrient problem" right away - otherwise, why could you have lush spots. Even if that's grassy weeds, it's thriving.

As we're now moving into late April, I'm going to try to encourage you to not try to force early-April work now. You're going to be in May before you can be ready to start a battle.

And on that lawn, I can guarantee what May is going to be all about: WEEDS.

So, please please please read the Triangle Approach to weeds and stop trying to identify each one. It's futile. Let's get rid of 80%-90% of them while we get the soil test returned and analyzed (and please use Logan). Then we'll figure out what remains when the number of weeds left is manageable.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 1:32 pm

andy10917 wrote:All right - there's hope. Believe me (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one), my eyes jumped to Lawn Lady's lawn way before you pointed it out.

That's good news - it means that the native soil of the area can definitely support a good lawn.

And there's more support for that - when I see spots of LUSH grass in a reasonably-weak lawn, it says "nutrient problem" right away - otherwise, why could you have lush spots. Even if that's grassy weeds, it's thriving.

As we're now moving into late April, I'm going to try to encourage you to not try to force early-April work now. You're going to be in May before you can be ready to start a battle.

And on that lawn, I can guarantee what May is going to be all about: WEEDS.

So, please please please read the Triangle Approach to weeds and stop trying to identify each one. It's futile. Let's get rid of 80%-90% of them while we get the soil test returned and analyzed (and please use Logan). Then we'll figure out what remains when the number of weeds left is manageable.

Yeah; done...and I like it, and totally agree. I may not know sh*t about lawns, but I'm a smart fella...and this makes total sense. Mine is not a "fine tune" kinda project; I need the sledge-hammer (lol...one article I read a while back, and book-marked...should the day ever come; basically talked about sometimes things are so bad, you need to "kill" your yard, hit the reset-button, and start over. I felt I was in such a place...but I'm glad to hear, some of you think there is hope).

OK, so...we want to actually encourage growth, before we kill these bastards? So, the first step is to fertilize. Can you walk me through that, like I'm a 5 year-old?? Is it something, I can do...pulling behind my Cub Cadet, lol.

Then...you say "hit the weeds with a general-purpose broadleaf liquid weed killer containing 2,4D - possibly in combination with Dicamba and/or MCPP". Got something you can recommend? I tend to stick to BIG Blue or Orange; but as I said, there are plenty of co-ops around...should you feel that would suit me better.

BTW...I'm actually getting excited! :yahoo:

Oh, and I guess it goes without saying; to hell with TruGreen??

CD

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2013, 1:40 pm

So, the first step is to fertilize. Can you walk me through that, like I'm a 5 year-old??
Yes. Get the Soil Test done, or we'll send youto your room!! Are you detecting a theme here?

If you get the samples done this weekend and in the mail on Monday, you'll have results next week and by next Saturday morning you'll be buying stuff. On next Sunday night your back will curse us every minute.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 2:03 pm

andy10917 wrote:
So, the first step is to fertilize. Can you walk me through that, like I'm a 5 year-old??
Yes. Get the Soil Test done, or we'll send youto your room!! Are you detecting a theme here?

If you get the samples done this weekend and in the mail on Monday, you'll have results next week and by next Saturday morning you'll be buying stuff. On next Sunday night your back will curse us every minute.
Oh; even before fertilizing? OK...reading now; questions...about the soil test...to follow, if needed.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Oh; even before fertilizing?
How would you know what the right combination of NPK was, without it?

nugrass2012
Grass Type: KBG

Post by nugrass2012 » April 20th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Psst. C'mere,
I was a lot like you. At my old house I couldn't wait for the heat and drought so the lawn would go dormant and I didn't have to mow. Then I moved into a new construction. All the other lawns on the street had beautiful lawns mostly sod--mine was raw grade with some contractor's grass here and there. Mostly weeds and bare spots. Like you I bought a tractor (for 15k sq ft!) to make it easier to at least take an interest in cutting it. All I wanted when I started searching the internet was a lawn that wouldn't be an eyesore and get the wife off my back. That was four years ago. I've still got the tractor but I now mow with a walk behind because it gives me "just the right" look (I WILL use the taractor again!), I walk the yard almost daily looking for disease, I carry a tank sprayer in case I come across the odd weed.
This place isn't BL/ATY, it's Hotel California, save yourself, run, run while you can.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 2:22 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Oh; even before fertilizing?
How would you know what the right combination of NPK was, without it?
Sorry; what was I thinking...lol (I say in jest; I appreciate the patience).

OK, so I read this guy http://aroundtheyard.com/home1/articles ... ement.html; I'm just doing the $20, Standard Soil Test with Logan? Not also the Soil Structure Test, discussed in that article?

This "bulb planter"...to aid with extracting soil samples; I can ask for that at my local big-box, and the guy won't look at me like I'm an idiot? (because usually I just avoid asking, when I fear that might happen). Lastly...

do I appear to have a serious mole problem...and is there also nothing to do about that, before the soil test? TIA

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 2:25 pm

nugrass2012 wrote:Psst. C'mere,
I was a lot like you. At my old house I couldn't wait for the heat and drought so the lawn would go dormant and I didn't have to mow. Then I moved into a new construction. All the other lawns on the street had beautiful lawns mostly sod--mine was raw grade with some contractor's grass here and there. Mostly weeds and bare spots. Like you I bought a tractor (for 15k sq ft!) to make it easier to at least take an interest in cutting it. All I wanted when I started searching the internet was a lawn that wouldn't be an eyesore and get the wife off my back. That was four years ago. I've still got the tractor but I now mow with a walk behind because it gives me "just the right" look (I WILL use the taractor again!), I walk the yard almost daily looking for disease, I carry a tank sprayer in case I come across the odd weed.
This place isn't BL/ATY, it's Hotel California, save yourself, run, run while you can.
Hysterical; but I don't come in, eyes wide shut. Besides...Andy did say I could tell him to back off. :rotfl:

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Notice that Andy did not say he would back off if you said he should...

And you can check out any time you want at the Hotel BL/ATY, but you still have to apply the Milorganite.

PS: a bulb planter is standard garden equipment. And I have no idea if you have a mole problem - I've never had them.

nugrass2012
Grass Type: KBG

Post by nugrass2012 » April 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm

I don't think you have moles. I've got them and I don't see the tell-tale tunnels in your yard. Moles will tunnel just below the turf pushing it up. Are you seeing any of that? If you do have moles, they are hard to eradicate. Poison doesn't work (not even the poison worms), I'm told that the spike traps are the only way, but I haven't used them as there are too many inquisitive little kids in the neighborhood.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 20th, 2013, 3:01 pm

nugrass2012 wrote:I don't think you have moles. I've got them and I don't see the tell-tale tunnels in your yard. Moles will tunnel just below the turf pushing it up. Are you seeing any of that? If you do have moles, they are hard to eradicate. Poison doesn't work (not even the poison worms), I'm told that the spike traps are the only way, but I haven't used them as there are too many inquisitive little kids in the neighborhood.
Well, no; I don't see raised tunnels...like I know is usually associated with moles. Plus...the wife and I were just discussing; these holes seem a little small, for what I think of the size of a mole.

But that is how the ground gives; like I'm stepping into a hollowed "tunnel"...only under the surface, rather than being raised. So if not moles...what then?? These holes are everywhere!!

P.S. heading out to get my bulb planter. :good:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 21st, 2013, 1:41 pm

OK, an update...

First, I think you guys might be right. I took my soil sample today...and something about really getting down in the dirt; not that crappy sh*t on top. But really getting down into the soil; it seemed rich, and moist...and I was like "this is my dirt"...lol. IDK; there was something very satisfying about it. Maybe I'll turn into a lawn junkie after all.

Second...I'm pretty sure I do have moles. Upon closer inspection, it appears I do have the tell-tale "raised" tunnels. It's just, the lawn is such a mess...it's almost hard to even make them out. Plus...whereas the holes seemed too small, for what I think of as mole-sized; the missus did some Google-ing of her own and she says, no...mole-holes are about that size. So...moles; something the ATY can help with, or do I treat that almost as a separate issue and look elsewhere?

While we're on that subject; of peripherals inquiries, to the lawn. Third...can the BL/ATY help with other "yard" concerns; like cleaning-up perimeters, landscaping, flowers/shrubs, etc?

Fourth...what do I do, while I'm awaiting the results of my soil testing? I just mowed (here are the post-mow pics, btw; if for no other reason...than for me to just document the "before" ATY condition. And yes...replacing that pathetic bird-bath, is part of the project...big picture, lol); should I water, specifically NOT water, etc. Just hang tight, 'til we get results?

Thanks guys. Having fun so far. Of course, we're not into the triple-digit heat yet. :shock:

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 21st, 2013, 8:51 pm

We can help with landscaping and gardening. On that topic, that is a very lonely looking bird bath. It has a certain stark surrealism about it.