Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
CDLehner
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Save Me From TruGreen? (CDs 1st Reno 2014)

Post by CDLehner » April 4th, 2016, 2:44 pm

virginiagal wrote:Yes, I mean "Look for" as a way of saying "I recommend." I have used Dimension. It kept the crabgrass away. Read the directions on the bag and follow them.

Cut before the grass gets too long. This spring cut it to 3 inches before it gets to 4.5 inches. In the summer cut it to 4 inches if it will stand up straight enough for that. In that case cut it before it gets to be 6 inches long. The rule is don't cut off more than 1/3 of the blade at a cutting. Leave the clippings on the lawn.

Water when the grass starts to wilt. If you leave footprints that don't spring up or if the grass changes to a duller color, water. Water one inch all at once and don't water again until the grass needs it. During the spring you may not have to water much. We generally get enough rain in the spring. Water whenever you add synthetic fertilizer or lime. For herbicides, follow the directions on the package about watering. I think for Dimension it says to water in. You could apply right before a rain.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thanks. Awesome! :good:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 4th, 2016, 2:45 pm

BoatDrinksQ5 wrote:Looks like from your weed growth and tree flowering - that its go time for you. Probably should give some thought as to what you did last spring/summer... and what pointers you have received since then. With the goal of not letting it happen again :) Did you put down any fertilizer last fall? Confused how it went from November photo...do this Spring.... :-/

Looks like it is time to fill up a 2gallon pump sprayer with a broadleaf weed killer mix (per directions) and when you have some time get out there and do some spraying. Try to make a habit of doing that every 10-15 days for the next couple months :) Don't need to cover entire yard each time, but just make a mental note of where you've covered. Once temperatures make it into the mid 80's you will want to hold off until a cold front rolls through. After a month or so - you could post any weeds that don't seem to be effected by your spraying.

Otherwise if you are interested in a nice yard and don't have the gumption to stay on top of it - you could look around for a local lawn maint company, mom&pop type place, and see if they would take care of your weed/fert care.
Thanks. Also awesome! :good:

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » April 4th, 2016, 11:04 pm

TimmyG wrote:
CDLehner wrote:So...what's my course of action: Cut? Water?? Pre-em???
Do you really still need others to tell you when to cut and water? Step away from the keyboard and look at your grass and soil.
No kidding!
CDLehner wrote: Look...I manage, about 50 different things in my life; that I try to do, the "right way". If I memorized, proper techniques for them ALL...I wouldn't remember, my own f*cking name.

I get...some people of your ilk; like to rag on guys like me. Google, read your thread, etc. But I'm too busy for that bullsh*t; so I ask for help. If you want to help, I appreciate it; I certainly help others, in my various areas of "expertise"...because it's really no trouble at all. That's what it means, to be an "expert"; these things come easy to you.

If you don't want to help, well...I get it. But please...keep your disapproval to yourself. Thanks
What you're asking for is spoon feeding, not help. You're asking for the same things over and over again. Your thread is, what, 40 pages long? And you're asking basic stuff. Go read and learn something and ask for help for specific things you need to be explained further. Not "Tell me what I need to do here.." without a cohesive thought as to what you would like to achieve and what it is you're not understanding. You've been given solid advice numerous times already in this monster of a thread.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 4th, 2016, 11:41 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
TimmyG wrote:
CDLehner wrote:So...what's my course of action: Cut? Water?? Pre-em???
Do you really still need others to tell you when to cut and water? Step away from the keyboard and look at your grass and soil.
No kidding!
CDLehner wrote: Look...I manage, about 50 different things in my life; that I try to do, the "right way". If I memorized, proper techniques for them ALL...I wouldn't remember, my own f*cking name.

I get...some people of your ilk; like to rag on guys like me. Google, read your thread, etc. But I'm too busy for that bullsh*t; so I ask for help. If you want to help, I appreciate it; I certainly help others, in my various areas of "expertise"...because it's really no trouble at all. That's what it means, to be an "expert"; these things come easy to you.

If you don't want to help, well...I get it. But please...keep your disapproval to yourself. Thanks
What you're asking for is spoon feeding, not help. You're asking for the same things over and over again. Your thread is, what, 40 pages long? And you're asking basic stuff. Go read and learn something and ask for help for specific things you need to be explained further. Not "Tell me what I need to do here.." without a cohesive thought as to what you would like to achieve and what it is you're not understanding. You've been given solid advice numerous times already in this monster of a thread.
OK; I'll shut it down.

Some of you...are about the most uptight a$$holes; I've run across, on the entire internet.

Thanks to those of you, who got me on the right track. It was a real transformation.

I'll look elsewhere for maintenance, since it's such a big deal :rolleyes:

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » April 4th, 2016, 11:48 pm

I tend to agree with CDLehner. If you don't want to waste your time, don't reply to his thread. At some point, he may wonder and ask why. Then someone can politely explain the reason/s.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » April 5th, 2016, 9:57 am

35 pages, 3 years running, and then calling people names when he gets called out for asking if he should cut his lawn??

Every other post I've seen here when people get tough love with a question like that and they say yeah you're right. I mean, he did cut his lawn the last 3 years right? Somehow it's different this year?

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » April 5th, 2016, 10:58 am

tlinden wrote:35 pages, 3 years running, and then calling people names when he gets called out for asking if he should cut his lawn??

Every other post I've seen here when people get tough love with a question like that and they say yeah you're right. I mean, he did cut his lawn the last 3 years right? Somehow it's different this year?
For heaven's sake: I know when to cut my lawn...in general. But...when you're trying to kill weeds, you're not supposed to cut, right? You're supposed to let them grow some...and then get the fu*ckers!

My lawn is kinda high now; but...I also need to do a pre-em treatment. So I just wasn't sure...if I pre-em before I cut, or not.

The bottom line is this: those of you, who talk about my thread "wasting your time"; by maybe asking the same question (though it's not), over again. It's actually you, wasting your own time; by your inability to let small sh*t like this go.

Don't read! Don't post! But you won't have to worry, because I don't intend to ask anymore. I'll ask the guy at the Lowes.

There...then you won't feel so high and mighty anymore; because you know more about lawn-care than I do. :roll:

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » April 5th, 2016, 11:11 am

So you'd trust the people in the gardening section at a home improvement store? I'd probably trust tru green before 95% of them.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » April 5th, 2016, 11:28 am

1977212 wrote:So you'd trust the people in the gardening section at a home improvement store? I'd probably trust tru green before 95% of them.
Ha ha yeah I've had good convos with guys at ace hardware but at the home depot its like deer in the headlights and random "buy this" response. The tru green guy tried to pitch me and when I said no he gave me some good pointers on specific weeds that were in my lawn.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » April 5th, 2016, 11:53 am

If you mow your lawn once a week, I would drop fertilizer, wait for 3-4 days then spray weed killer, then mow after 3 days.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » April 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Keep it simple - there are "ideal" times for everything....but to get your lawn to near best in town.... you can just about ignore it all.

Don't sweat it! If you see broadleafs spray them (if below 85deg for a high) - just needs squirt! PreEmergents and other granual products are generally unaffected by mowing.

If lawn needs mowing give it a mow! More often the better (but at 3.5-4"[measure!]) If when you're done you see some weeds (make note of them mentally while mowing)... give them hell! Spray away.

If you haven't gotten an inch of rain in the week and/or yard is looking dry (greyish) - give it a good solid soak in the early morning (shoot for 1 inch[measure]). If warmer or cooler things will need to be adjusted (watch forecast).

Get down some milorganite monthly at least

BuckeyeChuck
Grass Type: Blueberry

Post by BuckeyeChuck » April 14th, 2016, 2:12 pm

If I mow and see a rare weed I stop and pull it if I can get the whole thing. If not I come back later and spray with a dye added so I see I already nailed it. Sometimes I may forget it was already sprayed hence the dye.

You can do this on a larger scale. I am betting you have more to contend with - no insult intended. It's a one step at a time gradual process and I always have an issue to deal with even though people think the lawn looks great.

It's a hobby and that's part of it. I think most people enjoy the process.

I've noticed frequently people misperceive posts and things get blown out of proportion as they escalate fast.

Some of this is trial and error while you learn. Mow and see how you like the results. <Change things up based on results.

You can always mow again - or - wait longer for the next mow. Maybe take what you perceive as a risk and don't feel like you have to ask first.

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » June 1st, 2016, 11:09 am

So I'm out...for the simple stuff. You're right...though there was no need for the "tough love"; who you're really mad at, is yourself...for reading. No one makes you...and if you see "wow...this guy just asks the same questions, over and over again"; then why even peek in?

I'm just trying the KISS method. I mow, I water, I put down stuff (Weed/Feed, Milorganite); I try to keep the weeds to a minimum, and RTFM.

In fact...I just did 1st W&F of the season. I gave a quick water to the lawn, make sure it was damp...to take the W&F; and then did 2 passes, at 3.5.

It rained pretty steady, but not heavy...for the next few days; but when it dried out...it looks like I have some brown streaking. So I assume I overdid it a little, and "fried" some of those spots.

Can I ask how to fix? I mean...I guess the only answer, is water, water, water. I'm just not sure if that's a waste of time; and I just f-ed up, and it's dead.

You don't have to answer if you don't want; and don't worry...I won't wonder why, lol. Thanks

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » June 1st, 2016, 12:01 pm

Search this site for discussions on Weed n Feed and Triangle approach and read the article Lawn Maintenance Schedule. Practice the basics with proper watering and mowing. A lot of people here have very nice lawns just by doing that. Nothing fancy just proper cultural practices.

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » June 1st, 2016, 12:14 pm

Yeah most posts will direct you to avoid granular weed/feed products due to their effectiveness and somewhat...risk. For now just make sure it is getting enough water (1" per at once... per week) maybe every 4-5 days if warmer (or most importantly notice grey/purple 'dry' grass (in sun or by road, etc).

Much better to stick with a regular fertilizer and even better Milo. A separate weed product, 2gallon pump sprayer(<25$) with a concentrate mix of Weed Killer(5-10$). Could use a pre-mixed hose end sprayer ('ready to use') as well for first application of the year if things are Ugly, you'll pay a extra...but makes covering large weed areas much easier/faster(which seems more important to you). Just remember, Less is more with weed killers, IMO, a few drops will kill most weeds (less risk to grass), as well as not applying when hot/sunny (>83°) (read label). Grabbing a bottle of (9$)Ortho Clover Chickweed and Oxalis killer or similar will be good to use on specific weeds that survive first or second app of basic 'weed killer'.

Readup for more/better details:
http://aroundtheyard.com/articles.html (articles section of ATY)
:good:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » June 1st, 2016, 12:32 pm

Much thanks to BoatDrinks! :clapping: :good:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » August 8th, 2016, 9:09 am

Test

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » August 8th, 2016, 10:52 am

1.. 2..

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » August 8th, 2016, 9:24 pm

CDLehner wrote:Test

He's alive! :clapping: Glad you came back. How's the lawn doing? :confused:

CDLehner

Post by CDLehner » August 8th, 2016, 10:15 pm

First things first...

Can anyone tell me, why this site thinks I'm using a proxy?

I have no such problems, from any other site (and I surf a lot); and this is from 2 different PCs, with 2 different OSs...and 3 different browsers.

Plus...I have no other tell-tale signs; like any sire, thinks my location is Hamburg, Germany or something.

I had to use my pad, just to post this.

???