Gryd's 2014 Front Yard Renovation Take 2

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Gryd's 2014 Front Yard Renovation Take 2

Post by Jackpine » September 28th, 2014, 5:14 am

Any update on how things are progressing?

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by gryd » September 28th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Jackpine wrote:Any update on how things are progressing?
I'll try and post pictures later. I've already mowed twice but it's like I have 2 separate renovations going on in front at the moment. About 60% of the lawn looks like yours ( that established look) but a couple very large areas are growing much slower and are showing signs of some sprout and pout,. The blades there are fine and the color is not as dark. In 2008 when I last renovated that area it went into winter looking that way but established fine in the Spring. Hopefully the lawn in those areas gets moving and growing soon!

BoatDr
Grass Type: 80% Bewitched 20% fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by BoatDr » September 28th, 2014, 11:10 pm

"That established look"

LMAO.. All of the renos look awesome this year. Especially THIS one. Congratulations.

- Sent From My Sandlot.

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » September 29th, 2014, 10:40 am

gryd wrote:
Jackpine wrote:Any update on how things are progressing?
I'll try and post pictures later. I've already mowed twice but it's like I have 2 separate renovations going on in front at the moment. About 60% of the lawn looks like yours ( that established look) but a couple very large areas are growing much slower and are showing signs of some sprout and pout,. The blades there are fine and the color is not as dark. In 2008 when I last renovated that area it went into winter looking that way but established fine in the Spring. Hopefully the lawn in those areas gets moving and growing soon!
Is the slower 40% in full sun or mostly shady areas? I noticed the extreme areas of either of those conditions seem to be much slower. Looking forward to seeing your updates.

gryd

Post by gryd » October 3rd, 2014, 10:11 pm

It's Day 51 for my front yard renovation. Those few areas that were thin can't be found any longer. So far I've mowed 3 times and most of the lawn is growing like it's been there for years. There are some areas which do grow at a slower rate. They are growing so I can't call it "sprout and pout" but these areas are taking longer to establish. I have no doubt, however, that they'll catch up with the rest of the lawn over time.

As far as color I can't say I'm disappointed for a 51 day old lawn. It's probably already as dark as my old lawn and I definitely see plenty of blue tone which I like very much. The granular Tenacity worked great. My last renovation was full of weeds. Here I have nothing to speak of!

Here's a couple Day 51 pics

The cultivars once again are: 33% Prosperity, 23% Moonlight SLT, 21% Midnight, 13% Blue Velvet, and 10% Bewitched

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 3rd, 2014, 10:38 pm

gryd wrote:It's Day 51 for my front yard renovation. Those few areas that were thin can't be found any longer. So far I've mowed 3 times and most of the lawn is growing like it's been there for years. ...

Awesome! I wish I had found this site about one month sooner - I would have chosen different grasses for my ongoing renovation... I have this feeling there's a 2015 renovation in our future! 8-)

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » October 3rd, 2014, 10:44 pm

That looks great!

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » October 4th, 2014, 11:04 pm

gryd wrote:It's Day 51 for my front yard renovation. Those few areas that were thin can't be found any longer. So far I've mowed 3 times and most of the lawn is growing like it's been there for years. There are some areas which do grow at a slower rate. They are growing so I can't call it "sprout and pout" but these areas are taking longer to establish. I have no doubt, however, that they'll catch up with the rest of the lawn over time.

As far as color I can't say I'm disappointed for a 51 day old lawn. It's probably already as dark as my old lawn and I definitely see plenty of blue tone which I like very much. The granular Tenacity worked great. My last renovation was full of weeds. Here I have nothing to speak of!

The cultivars once again are: 33% Prosperity, 23% Moonlight SLT, 21% Midnight, 13% Blue Velvet, and 10% Bewitched
Looks good Gryd! I remember your old lawn was pretty damn nice. I had to google to find pics of it. This one definitely looks as dark or even darker already. I think that was a good move swapping Prosperity + Bewitched for Bedazzled.
What's your fertilization schedule like? I wouldn't even mess with urea at this point except to winterize. That looks quite thick already.

ps- if there's ever a "take 3", I'm putting in a request now for a Prosperity monostand ;)

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » October 4th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Looks great. Can't believe you already have snow sticks up :-).

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by Pete1313 » October 4th, 2014, 11:40 pm

That's not a snow stick, that's a don't drive or walk on my new lawn stick. I bet that has been in the ground since august... looks great Gryd! :good:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

gryd

Post by gryd » October 5th, 2014, 7:24 am

ligrass wrote:
gryd wrote:It's Day 51 for my front yard renovation. Those few areas that were thin can't be found any longer. So far I've mowed 3 times and most of the lawn is growing like it's been there for years. There are some areas which do grow at a slower rate. They are growing so I can't call it "sprout and pout" but these areas are taking longer to establish. I have no doubt, however, that they'll catch up with the rest of the lawn over time.

Looks good Gryd! I remember your old lawn was pretty damn nice. I had to google to find pics of it. This one definitely looks as dark or even darker already. I think that was a good move swapping Prosperity + Bewitched for Bedazzled.
What's your fertilization schedule like? I wouldn't even mess with urea at this point except to winterize. That looks quite thick already.

ps- if there's ever a "take 3", I'm putting in a request now for a Prosperity monostand ;)
Thanks Ligrass! I fertilize every other week. I'm surprised nobody does a Prosperity monostand but I did make it the dominant cultivar in my blend. Bedazzled was the dominant cultivar in my last lawn's blend and Bedazzled was what was noticed. I'm hoping that Prosprity is what will stand out here.

gryd

Post by gryd » October 5th, 2014, 7:27 am

Pete1313 wrote:That's not a snow stick, that's a don't drive or walk on my new lawn stick. I bet that has been in the ground since august... looks great Gryd! :good:

Actually I leave a couple sticks up all year but you are right - the majority of those sticks went up in August.

Jackpine

Post by Jackpine » October 5th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Real nice work. You have my vote for reno of the year.

Answered your PM.

gryd

Post by gryd » October 12th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Front Renovation Day 59

Time for an update. I just fertilized again 2 days ago. The young lawn is looking pale and needed a dose. I still have 1/2 dose of Scott's Starter with Mesotrione but I'm saving that for after I do some plugging with my new Pro Plugger. I moved some plugs from thicker areas to thinner areas this morning and it was quite easy to do. Not only did I fill in some thin areas but I thinned out a few spots that were too dense IMO. Obviously I don't want to go too crazy and uncover a pile of Poa seeds but so far I've been all over this renovation and I've only found (and pulled) 3 Poa plants total! Three! I didn't fallow and expected much more Poa. Could the Starter with Tenacity be that effective against suppressing Poa?

I didn't get any Poa in the small renovation section in back though my spreader got stuck open a couple times and I had to take a thatch rake and thin those areas out after they came in a bit. It's still a little dense in spots but I think it will survive and balance out over time. Here is the back which was seeded on or around August 1st. Cultivars here a Bewitched, Midnight and Skye.

gryd

Post by gryd » October 20th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Day 68 update. Color still improving. I think I'm really going to love the color next June!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » October 20th, 2014, 9:53 pm

I think you have a Keeper.

Jackpine

Post by Jackpine » October 21st, 2014, 6:10 am

+1 Definitely a keeper.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » October 21st, 2014, 7:25 am

Looks great!

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » October 21st, 2014, 9:14 am

Looking good! :good:

Pete1313
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pete1313 » October 21st, 2014, 9:24 am

Good job old man :D .. jk. I think it might be time to take down the electic fence