Help with preping for fall slice seeding....

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Help with preping for fall slice seeding....

Post by northeastlawn » June 9th, 2015, 11:33 pm

So I am officially hooked when I am prepping for my fall lawn work/overseed 3 months away. 8-) I posted the following soil report and got some good advice http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/mass-lawn ... 17094.html.

Suggestions were lime & epsom salts every 90 days to work on the pH.
Sulfate of Potash every month
Trying to use BLSC instead of core aerating and finally...
Bay State Fertilizer as often as I can afford

The lot is a small 1,000sf city lot in Southeastern Mass. with some compacted bare spots that I can't seem to ever get seed to grow. Some thick grass and some older thin spots. This is going to be the year it gets filled in!

I am willing to give this a shot, but still confused how to do all this, in the middle of a Massachusetts drought and the heat of August coming up. i.e. water the fertilizer in or wait for rain?

1.) I put the lime and epson salts down today
2.) I plan on spraying the BLSC every two weeks (kind of skeptical about this, but for 1,000sf it beats a core aerator if it works) I have a hand one if it works even a little bit.
3.) In two weeks Ill mix the Bay State Fertilizer and Potash in a drop spreader and lay it down, before a rain event or a deep watering.
4.) Bay State Fertilizer is cheap enough, living near Quincy and having only 1,000sf. Is once a month good for the fertlizer? Should I stop it in July and August because of the heat?
5.) Is every other week good for a BLSC treatment from a sprayer?
6.) Once I see how my last seeding attempt worked out, Ill be watering 0.5" twice a week depending on the rain to get the roots strong for the slice seeding.

No weeds right now, other than clover never had many weeds. Was going to keep my fingers crossed.

I guess the goal is preparing for a fall slice seeding late august, Ill be getting new soil test first week in August, just trying to fine tune and plan the timing of all this.

Appreciate any suggestions, still don't understand the timing.....

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Help with preping for fall slice seeding....

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 12th, 2015, 7:34 am

northeastlawn wrote:I posted the following soil report and got some good advice http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/mass-lawn ... 17094.html.
That's some excellent advice -- if you do what is described there, you will definitely enjoy improved results!
northeastlawn wrote:I am willing to give this a shot, but still confused how to do all this, in the middle of a Massachusetts drought and the heat of August coming up. i.e. water the fertilizer in or wait for rain?
Seems to me that you're already on the right track, with having already applied the lime & epsom salts, and planning to spray BLSC.
northeastlawn wrote:No weeds right now, other than clover never had many weeds. Was going to keep my fingers crossed.
The above (no weeds) is a huge benefit for you. Most people here are continually battling weeds. Since you have no weeds, one of the best and most important things for you to do is not disturb the soil by core aeration or slice seeding. I would highly suggest you not core aerate (use BLSC instead) and don't disturb the soil before seeding, presuming it is not mechanically compacted. Photos might help us understand what you're facing.
northeastlawn wrote:3.) In two weeks Ill mix the Bay State Fertilizer and Potash in a drop spreader and lay it down, before a rain event or a deep watering.
There is no particular need to water in either bay state fertilizer or sulfate of potash. They won't really provide significant effect until watered in, but it won't hurt to leave them on the surface until the next good rain.
northeastlawn wrote:4.) Bay State Fertilizer is cheap enough, living near Quincy and having only 1,000sf. Is once a month good for the fertlizer? Should I stop it in July and August because of the heat?
With a lawn of 1000sf, a single sprinkler could easily water your entire lawn. I'd be inclined to water regularly to provide 1" of rain per week, apply Bay State Fertilizer weekly from May through October and every other week in July and August.
northeastlawn wrote:6.) Once I see how my last seeding attempt worked out, Ill be watering 0.5" twice a week depending on the rain to get the roots strong for the slice seeding.
The watering sounds great, but don't disturb the soil by slice seeding!

I know it sounds completely counter-intuitive and goes against conventional wisdom, but slit seeding is not required with properly softened soil, rolling, and top-dressing. Check out this success story from gryd's renovation last fall.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » June 12th, 2015, 9:24 am

I know it sounds completely counter-intuitive and goes against conventional wisdom, but slit seeding is not required with properly softened soil, rolling, and top-dressing. Check out this success story from gryd's renovation last fall.
Thanks for the awesome reply.

I have no luck with throwing the seeds through the lawn and getting them to take, I can patch here and there and get it to grow, but the whole overseeding has been an urban myth to me. The slit seeding was going to force those little suckers to pop up :-)

But knowing what I now know about the watering, that had more to do with my lack of results. I probably could give overseeing w/o slit seeding a try in August, then I still have a few weeks to do it over again if the seed doesn't take. Im going to drink the Kool aid and give the whole BLSC a try.

Ill start doing the BLSC every two weeks as soon as the ingredients come in, by the time I hit August I should have a good idea of how its working. Although Im not sure how I would be able to tell it worked or not.

Did I read correct about Bay State Fertilizer once a week, would that screw up the grass? Feeding it every single week?

Thanks Again, here are some pics of the lawn. I just have a very clumpy lawn with bare spots and too many different types of grass that thin out and don't blend well....

and a spot where I removed a brick patio a month ago....

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by tlinden » June 12th, 2015, 1:18 pm

"Although Im not sure how I would be able to tell it worked or not."

Use a screwdriver and poke around the yard. It should become easier to poke around with over time!