HoosierLawnGnome fall 2016 renovation - the spring after

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: HoosierLawnGnome fall 2016 renovation - the spring after

Post by g-man » June 9th, 2017, 10:02 pm

^ you are lucky it rained. A few miles north the last rain was 27may.

The monostand looks awesome. It almost makes me think of a Reno in a few years. Convincing the wife is the hardest part.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 10th, 2017, 11:55 am

Thanks, g-man - it looks better in these pics than several areas - has a ways to go yet! But, I'm enjoying it!

I've found that if you apply glyphosate to the entire lawn, your wife will be very interested in a complete renovation in 7-10 days. :lol:

------

I applied 105 lbs of Potash and 70 lbs of DAP last night. I ran the 1" program on the front last night, followed up with 1/8" on the back. A humid week of low 90s and chance of rain is in the forecast.

The powered reel mower isn't cutting well enough - it shreds the top 1/4" of a blade, which turns brown 2 days later leaving the yellow look above. I'm already in the market for the next thing. It may be the mower I leave at the cabin property - nice and quiet.

ETA: Rust is creeping back on the edges, particularly in the shade or where I spot sprayed too much Triclopyr.

soiled.myself
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by soiled.myself » June 10th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Looking real nice, HLG. Couple of nice money shots from that big porch... looks like a great place to enjoy your favorite soda from...

im just under an acre and would love a monostand...

Thanks for sharing the journey.

Jay

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 12th, 2017, 11:40 am

Thanks - it has a ways to go like I say - there are a few K that aren't good - but difficult to see.

I have rust creeping in on the edges again, and where a few sprinklers miss spots I am getting that grey drought stress look. Spotty showers in the forecast, otherwise I'll be running the sprinklers to try and stay ahead of it.

I have clover and nimblewill as my main weed problems. The clover may require a blanket spray, but it's too hot now for herbicide - it will have to wait. Poa annua is all frying.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 2nd, 2017, 11:58 am

The hardest part of renovation is coming up in my experience. the heat of the first summer.

so far so good here. a little fungus here and there but mostly suppressed. color not what i want. lack of Nitrogen methics

lots of clover out there. I've been spot spraying with triclopyr as you can tell from the brown spots but I'll switch to Q4 Plus soon. This fall it will probably require a few blanket sprays.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » July 3rd, 2017, 1:01 am

Looking great!

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Paul » July 3rd, 2017, 8:01 pm

Very nice, looks like all the hard work paid off.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 7th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Well, here we are coming up on a year.

My renovation has lost a lot of color over the first summer. We have had a wet and mild summer thus far. Only a few days over 90. (We can still get some of course...)

I've been fighting mild leaf spot, and some overspray on neighbors that damaged my turf at the edge. I also have a decent clover invasion, and some remaining nutsedge. Quackgrass is mostly gone (yes!), and then I have blow - over crabgrass from a neighbor. A couple nimblewill patches.

I've been applying MAP and DAP monthly, but the Nitrogen just hasn't been enough. I chose to not encourage leaf spot at all. A curative fungicide application on 1.4 acres is not cheap.

On top of that, I've had to take over managing my in-law's property due to a major health incident, so my time has been more scarce.

At best, I'd give my lawn a "C".

BUT, I'm ready to start intensive, fall Nitrogen applications and post emergent herbicide applications soon - so the quality shoulld improve.

All in all, I'm still very happy I worked on it all last fall instead of half. This fall I just need to execute the basics well and it should shine - as long as I have the time!

Also - my mower blades took it on the chin - needed replaced. That def didn't help the color!

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edenl01 » August 7th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Thanks for sharing and keeping it real. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in the 7+ p.h. Club with suboptimal color on a first year Reno. Hopefully it can get back to the dark dark green it had when it woke up.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » August 7th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Also - my mower blades took it on the chin - needed replaced. That def didn't help the color!
I hear you -- I tried using the tractor to mow a tighter spot in the backyard/driveway area (lazy and hot). Came very close to almost making the turn - clipped the stone wall, tractor bucked twice and then jumped up on the stone wall. Learned quickly that stone walls and steel blades are a poor combination. New blades are very nice.