NCLG Lawn and Landscape Reno Thread

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

NCLG Lawn and Landscape Reno Thread

Post by nclawnguy » October 8th, 2015, 11:46 am

Finally getting settled in to my new home, been here for 1 month. My plan this year was to kill off weeds and clover and see what was left. I killed off about 80% of the weeds and clover, I do have some common bermuda encroaching in on the sides and some scattered in the lawn. I fertilized with a high N 2 weeks ago to kick start everything. I had some bare spots that I needed to have cover so my dogs don't track in red mud. I did an overseed of the whole lawn and dropped 13 bags of milo before the rain last week and it's coming up nicely already. I am hand watering 2x time per day now to get the rest to come up, so far so good.

My plan is to get my beds set over the next 10 months and assess if I will kill off next summer and reseed, preferably kbg, or wait until the next fall (2017). I need to get a fence, trying to decide how much of the yard I will fence in, my wife wants an inground pool and patio. Will be doing a soil test soon to see how the soil is, but seems like it is pretty decent. Soil drains extremely well so I am thinking it's on the sandy side.

The home is on 1 acre and the current grass area is 36,500 sqft. The lawn is mostly tall fescue, the back yard above the small ridge (see pic#5) is pasture grass (K31). Property is on well and septic, the leach field is the back right corner. Here are some pics of what I am working with.

Last edited by nclawnguy on November 2nd, 2015, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: NCLG Lawn and Landscape Reno Thread

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 8th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Wonderful looking property. You need some more trees. Too bad I can't send some your way.

Irrigation?

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 8th, 2015, 1:15 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:Wonderful looking property. You need some more trees. Too bad I can't send some your way.

Irrigation?
Thanks. I will plant trees, it's old farm land, so not too many trees. Kind of excited about the blank canvas I have to work with. No irrigation, want to get most of my beds set before I install. My goal is to get it next summer.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by ericgautier » October 8th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Beautiful! Looking forward to following your progress. :good: Post some pics of the zturn. :)

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » October 8th, 2015, 6:45 pm

NCLG, I hope your new property will be an enjoyment for your family and a labor of love getting it up to your standards. Will the weather conditions be similar to your other home?

ECUpirate93
Grass Type: KBG

Post by ECUpirate93 » October 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Great looking home! How do you plan to tackle the bermuda? Will RU be enough? Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the progress on both the landscaping and lawn!

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 9th, 2015, 3:22 am

Tony alony wrote:NCLG, I hope your new property will be an enjoyment for your family and a labor of love getting it up to your standards. Will the weather conditions be similar to your other home?
Thanks Tony. The weather is the same, moved 12 miles northeast of my previous home. I will have more sun though than my last home.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 9th, 2015, 3:24 am

ECUpirate93 wrote:Great looking home! How do you plan to tackle the bermuda? Will RU be enough? Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the progress on both the landscaping and lawn!
I'm going to hit with round up in July and August when the Bermuda is at its strongest. Always worked well for me in that past.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm

:yahoo:

Beautiful home!

weedssuck
Grass Type: beatsme

Post by weedssuck » October 9th, 2015, 1:24 pm

well I cant give lawn advice im a rookie. but I am a framing pro! that roof looks terrible! you really need to get that checked.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » October 9th, 2015, 6:44 pm

nclawnguy wrote:
ECUpirate93 wrote:Great looking home! How do you plan to tackle the bermuda? Will RU be enough? Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the progress on both the landscaping and lawn!
I'm going to hit with round up in July and August when the Bermuda is at its strongest. Always worked well for me in that past.

How do you know everywhere to spray? Just like with Triv, it could be hiding even where you don't see it yet.

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 9th, 2015, 7:07 pm

I'd kill everything off. There may be some bermuda survivors, I an deal with them as needed after. Trivia is hard to kill in the summer because it is mostly dormant.

Green

Post by Green » October 9th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Sounds like a plan. You do have some nice green to look at in the meantime, thanks to your overseed. Are you hand watering all 36.5 K for now? Any plan to use sprinklers before installing irrigation? Also, will you likely install irrigation before the reno is completed next year, or after? Having gone through it, I know I would definitely want to seed after installation.

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 9th, 2015, 8:44 pm

I'm hand watering about 17000 right now. The front, sides and some of the back. Getting some rain tomorrow, so that should help.

If I do a full reno, I'd like to have irrigation in place before. Too much yard to move sprinklers around.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » October 9th, 2015, 8:59 pm

NCLG, when you converted your old TTTF lawn to KBG last year, did you notice any difference in terms of drought resistance?

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » October 9th, 2015, 9:22 pm

seiyafan wrote:NCLG, when you converted your old TTTF lawn to KBG last year, did you notice any difference in terms of drought resistance?
Hard to accurately compare because my kbg was a young lawn. We had a drought and record heat for most of the summer so it did need more water to get through compared to my tttf in previous seasons. The 2 years prior were cooler and wetter. I will say, it handled the heat with zero issues.

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » November 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm

Before and after pics of overseeding in lower back yard.

Before 9/23
After 10/30

Green

Post by Green » November 2nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Big difference. Looks good. That should be good for a while.

Did you just put the seed down on top of what was there, or did you scratch it up?

Still hand watering?

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » November 2nd, 2015, 8:36 pm

Green wrote:Big difference. Looks good. That should be good for a while.

Did you just put the seed down on top of what was there, or did you scratch it up?

Still hand watering?
I scratched it up a little, I put seed down with what was there. Not looking for perfection right now, just want green coverage for my kids and dogs. Getting fence quotes now, going to fence the whole back yard, 640 ft, not going to be cheap.

Not watering anymore, getting some decent rain. I have parts of my rear yard where I never watered, only nature and grass is coming up.

nclawnguy

Post by nclawnguy » January 4th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Started edging out some shrub beds in the front yard, will post progress pics later. Lawn looks surprisingly good considering it was just an overseed. We did have an extremely wet fall, so that helped everything germinate. I don't have irrigation yet and have 36,000 sqft of grass, hard to water that 3x a day with a hose and sprinkler. Goal is still to set most of my beds in place and then add irrigation system.