RyanBum's NC Reno 2016

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
kenomikes
Grass Type: Front Masterpiece TTTF, Rear Driveway area Masterpiece TTTF, rear pool swingset area TTTF Barenbrug
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: RyanBum's NC Reno 2016: Reno reboot, Plan B

Post by kenomikes » September 23rd, 2016, 11:57 am

seiyafan wrote:He did 5 oz/acre at seeding from the bag rate of scotts starter fertilizer.
Sorry, I'm a rookie but I still don't get it. He says he spread at seeding bag rate, then he again sprayed 2 days before a month. Where is this massive tenacity over application?

by ryanbum » August 20th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Dang, I'm exhausted now! Started the morning off around 7:30 at breakfast with Summerlin. Made a last minute trip to lowes to get an extra sprinkler, starter fertilizer and a bale of peat moss.

8:30- Blew any debris, leaves and clippings off with my backpack blower

9:30- Pulled a few buried rocks out of the ground that were unearthed when I blew them off

9:45- Spread seed over 4500 sq. ft at 8 pounds/K. Used 36 pounds of a blend consisting of Bullseye, Cochise IV, LS1200 and Falcon IV.

10:15- Lightly raked the seed in

10:45- Spread Scotts starter with Tenacity at bag Rate

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » September 23rd, 2016, 12:16 pm

Two applications total 9 oz/acre is a bit too much over a course of 28 days. KBG is more tolerant than TTTF.

Compare the numbers on page 3 of https://turf.purdue.edu/report/2006/39.pdf and https://turf.purdue.edu/report/2006/37.pdf

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 23rd, 2016, 3:54 pm

Ok, ready to go mole huntin'? Moles usually have a burrow in a safe place. My guess is they are coming from the woods next to your property. If you have tunnels again tomorrow morning. Note where they start and end. I used those blue marking flags you can get from the big box stores. I would place them near the ends of the tunnels and where I thought the beginning was. The reason for this, once you flatten the tunnels they more than likely will either be at one end or the other. Find a good location you can stand with out moving. They can sense ground vibrations. Now...you're wondering what to look for. See the video I took before I sent this little guy off to meet his maker.

https://youtu.be/KwOrwPmxxFE

Sorry. I don't know how to embed video's. :banghead: But that's what you're looking for. Good luck.

ryanbum
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by ryanbum » September 23rd, 2016, 7:00 pm

GeorgiaDad wrote:Ok, ready to go mole huntin'? Moles usually have a burrow in a safe place. My guess is they are coming from the woods next to your property. If you have tunnels again tomorrow morning. Note where they start and end. I used those blue marking flags you can get from the big box stores. I would place them near the ends of the tunnels and where I thought the beginning was. The reason for this, once you flatten the tunnels they more than likely will either be at one end or the other. Find a good location you can stand with out moving. They can sense ground vibrations. Now...you're wondering what to look for. See the video I took before I sent this little guy off to meet his maker.

https://youtu.be/KwOrwPmxxFE

Sorry. I don't know how to embed video's. :banghead: But that's what you're looking for. Good luck.
You're the man, Georgia. All raised areas have been flattened. I honestly walked the entire Reno area this evening, and couldn't find one mole tunnel. Any chance that all my damage was coming from the grubs alone?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 23rd, 2016, 7:04 pm

More dead grubs when I got home from work. The amount has doubled since this morning.

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 23rd, 2016, 7:56 pm

Any chance that all my damage was coming from the grubs alone?
:no: You just took out the food supply. They'll be back.

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 24th, 2016, 8:26 am

Well, I've been mole hunting for an hour and haven't seen any signs of life. I did find a glimmer of hope though. I don't have an explanation, and I won't even attempt to fabricate one but everywhere that I thought was scrapped, now is covered in tiny green stems. I pulled one, and it has an intact root system. Hoping this means the majority of it may recover, pictures taken from 3 different damaged areas scattered around the front yard.

GeorgiaDad

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 24th, 2016, 9:00 am

Hey that's good news. Were there any tunnels this morning? If so, more or less than before? DO NOT WATER YET! How damp is the soil? You need to monitor the grass/soil today. You don't want it to dry out but at the same time you don't want a soggy mess again. Do you have any tuna cans? Small rain gauge you can stake in the ground?

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 24th, 2016, 9:05 am

GeorgiaDad wrote:Hey that's good news. Were there any tunnels this morning? If so, more or less than before? DO NOT WATER YET! How damp is the soil? You need to monitor the grass/soil today. You don't want it to dry out but at the same time you don't want a soggy mess again. Do you have any tuna cans? Small rain gauge you can stake in the ground?
No tunnels this morning! A few more grub mounds, but hopefully the stragglers are finally dying off.

Soil is in different stages around the yard. One area is starting to dry out near the road, around the sidewalk and mulch bed by the house is still damp.

I do have a rain gauge from my garden I could use, I'll check the pantry and see if there are any Tuna cans available.

GeorgiaDad

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 24th, 2016, 9:12 am

Hmmmm.... Ok, you may have to hand water a couple places today. I would wait until ~11am this morning before any water goes down. What you're looking to do is dampen the soil. This is something you're going to have to play by ear today. You don't want the newly germinating areas to dry out but you don't need the other areas to get too much water.

GeorgiaDad

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 24th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Did you water @ 11am? At this point you want to water again @ 4pm. For the next couple of days try setting your water timer for 11am and 4pm. Water only for 5 minutes. The goal here is to get just enough water to the shallow roots. On Monday you need to assess the bare spots. If the sprouts are coming in...good. If not then an over-seed is in order.

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 24th, 2016, 12:54 pm

GeorgiaDad wrote:Did you water @ 11am? At this point you want to water again @ 4pm. For the next couple of days try setting your water timer for 11am and 4pm. Water only for 5 minutes. The goal here is to get just enough water to the shallow roots. On Monday you need to assess the bare spots. If the sprouts are coming in...good. If not then an over-seed is in order.
Yes. I did, but it didn't start until noon. I'll water briefly at 4, then set the timer for twice a day tomorrow and Monday. It's supposed to be much cooler this week, so there shouldn't be any reason it would dry out. I'll plan to overseed Monday or Tuesday if it's needed. Will the excess Tenacity effect seeding?

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 24th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Do grubs, or whatever these worms are eat the foliage and leaves of the grass? All of the effected areas have literally been gnawed down to the crown by something. Don't know if it's insects, grubs or rabbits. :confused:

GeorgiaDad

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 26th, 2016, 9:11 am

How does the yard look today?

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 26th, 2016, 9:36 am

GeorgiaDad wrote:How does the yard look today?
Still looks the same as it did Saturday morning. No signs of moles! :yahoo:

I can still see a few grubs as I walk the yard, but they're minimal. I saw less than 10 grub mounds over my 4,500 sq. ft. renovation. There are definitely areas that need overseeding. Looking at the 10 day weather outlook, I don't know what would be the best day to spread seed. Chance of thunderstorms this PM amd tomorrow. Should I wait until that band passes or spread it this afternoon?

GeorgiaDad

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 26th, 2016, 10:06 am

I would suggest tomorrow afternoon. Either way could be a crap shoot. You know the weather in your area better than I. What times and how much are you watering?

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 26th, 2016, 10:44 am

GeorgiaDad wrote:I would suggest tomorrow afternoon. Either way could be a crap shoot. You know the weather in your area better than I. What times and how much are you watering?
My timer will allow watering every 4 or 6 hours, so I decided to water twice a day at 10 AM and 4 PM for 7-8 minutes per zone, depending on how much ground it has to cover.

LeftField11
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched, Blueberry, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by LeftField11 » September 26th, 2016, 6:56 pm

So, what's the verdict: did you ever see/catch/kill any moles, or do you think this was all grub damage?

ryanbum

Post by ryanbum » September 26th, 2016, 7:12 pm

LeftField11 wrote:So, what's the verdict: did you ever see/catch/kill any moles, or do you think this was all grub damage?

Haven't seen any signs of a mole recently. The damage has subsided since the grubs have been killed. Fingers crossed that I got the problem. If I don't see anything else tomorrow, I'm going to reseed after work.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 26th, 2016, 7:45 pm

I haven't seen any moles since setting traps either. Trapline is a name feared by moles

[ Post made via Android ] Image