Syntaxx 2016 10-12k Renovation.....Growing n Mowing

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Syntaxx 2016 10-12k Renovation.....germinating

Post by edenl01 » August 24th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Your irrigation rig is awesome. Nice progress!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SyNtAxx
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry/Prosperity/Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by SyNtAxx » September 22nd, 2016, 5:32 pm

Thought i would throw up a quick progress picture. Average age of the reno on the hill is about 35 days. All in all pretty satisfied with outcome. I knew the hill would pose some challenges with washout and such. I have minimal weed pressure overall though one spot will need a tenacity bomb dropped soon. I'll post better pictures this weekend when i have a chance to be outside without distraction.

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Image

FrankZ
Grass Type: Allen Seed endophyte blend

Post by FrankZ » September 23rd, 2016, 8:57 am

Came out great Nick!

SyNtAxx

Re: Syntaxx 2016 10-12k Renovation.....Growing n Mowing

Post by SyNtAxx » September 25th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Here are some more pictures from yesterday. I spread some anti fungal product after mowing. All in all im pleased with fhe results considering its a hill and they can be tough to grow on. Its not without issue though.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » September 25th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Im pretty sure a tenecity bomb will resolve the issues in the problem area. This was one of the areas i slit seeded. I knew increased weed pressure was a risk i accepted. Interestingly enough tbe other slit seeded area did not have what i would call heavy weed infestation..though the problem area was in a known weed hotbed. Again the risk i accepted when slitting that porttion of project.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 3rd, 2016, 7:28 pm

Decided to take down most of the irrigation today and gave a cut with tractor again. She is filling in nicely. I sprayed tenacity in the area between remaining irrivation runs. I have a few hundred square feet by road i need to reseed due to washouts. I bought a 12x1000 foot roll of the darwin seed fabric for a price i couldnt pass on...ive used in a small spot ....but i will be covering that area as temperatures are dropping. This isnt the best picture but gives an idea of progress. Last years reno in the forground has come out of dormancy pretty nicely. Looks like i may need to plug a few areas.

Nick

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » October 4th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Looks great. Kennett Square is an awesome area.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 8th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Thought i would post the results of one area tenacity carpet bomb amd some spot treatments.

I also dropped 12 bags of milo and some synthetic N before the rains on entire 18 to 20k kbg front yard.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 24th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Not sure how old lawn is anymore.....fresh cut at 2.75 inches. Contrast with last years rwno for color. Suffered some lost along driveway from some self imposed mistakes.. maibly relying on accurate weather forcast and more importantly a cut shorter then i wanted to before heat set in.

Last year rebo went dormant and recovered except for some obviois spots. Live n learn i guess.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » October 24th, 2016, 4:10 pm

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » November 8th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Updated photos:Image

Nick

SyNtAxx

Re: Syntaxx 2016 10-12k Renovation.....2017 Pics + Sneak Peak of this years reno area...

Post by SyNtAxx » April 30th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Just thought I would share a few pics from last years reno and the previous years reno growing into one unit. There is a color difference but will even out as it matures. There are light spots here and there. I've been spot spraying with tenacity. This years reno will be in the 10-15k sqft size. I'm hoping to have my entire 1 acre of yard area converted by fall 2018. Then the fine tuning can begin.

Nick

SyNtAxx

Re: Syntaxx 2016 10-12k Renovation.....2017 Pics + Sneak Peak of this years reno area...

Post by SyNtAxx » April 30th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Last shot and most recent. All in all I'm pretty pleased.

Nick

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 30th, 2017, 7:36 pm

In for another reno? I think it's time for a nomination to get you into the Serial Renovators Club.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » April 30th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yes...if everything goes according to plan and there are no water shortages this year. This will be reno 3 of 4 possibly 5 to get entire yard completed. I was just going to ask if it was to early for 2017 roll call

Nick

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 30th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Yup - too early. Generally it's a week or so after the (Memorial Day) class graduation.

I'm gonna need help with the 2017 Class this year - my son (SLYDER27 here) is getting married right at Seed-Down time.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » May 5th, 2017, 8:45 pm

It's looking great!

Are you still happy with your seed selection? I thought I had my mind set on tttf with some kbg mixed in but I keep having second thoughts about going with kbg. I have to have Bewitched because of some shade in our backyard and that led me to your reno. I mainly want a uniform dark color.

I'm sure I'd be happy with the tttf. My problem is when I do something I'm normally all in and strive for doing the best I can. That's why I keep going back and forth. I need to get some seed ordered for fall tho. It's really hard to decide.

LeftField11
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched, Blueberry, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by LeftField11 » May 16th, 2017, 10:32 am

@Marinegrunt - I have this same mix of cultivars and I'm very happy with it. It was stressful AF waiting for the KBG to germinate and grow last year, but I'm happy I did it. I update my reno thread with a couple recent pics.

Liquid3d
Grass Type: Rear Right - Mix, Rear left - KBG Barrister + Midnight, Front renovating to KBG Barrister + Blueberry + Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Liquid3d » May 16th, 2017, 12:26 pm

LeftField11 wrote:
May 16th, 2017, 10:32 am
@Marinegrunt - I have this same mix of cultivars and I'm very happy with it. It was stressful AF waiting for the KBG to germinate and grow last year, but I'm happy I did it. I update my reno thread with a couple recent pics.

I know tell me about. I gave mine a cut last weekend at 2" and all it did was level off the bumps.
Never got to cut it last year and didn't think it would make it through the winter but it's filling in great just not getting height quick. I guess i shouldn't complain.
Did drop some Milo and 1/4# /per 1000 Urea before the rains however and expect it to really take off now.

Trying to decide if i want to reno the other half of the back yard this year. fighting Triv and need to level the area more but other than that looks good.
or go for the front yard that gets full sun all day long. It is a random northern mix and is not filling in well after killing of the Nimblewill

Yours is looking great. I made a similar watering setup for mine out of sprinkler hoses and adapters. worked pretty good as i could close off parts of it that i wanted less water like the hill.

SyNtAxx

Post by SyNtAxx » May 17th, 2017, 7:39 am

Marinegrunt wrote:
May 5th, 2017, 8:45 pm
It's looking great!

Are you still happy with your seed selection? I thought I had my mind set on tttf with some kbg mixed in but I keep having second thoughts about going with kbg. I have to have Bewitched because of some shade in our backyard and that led me to your reno. I mainly want a uniform dark color.

I'm sure I'd be happy with the tttf. My problem is when I do something I'm normally all in and strive for doing the best I can. That's why I keep going back and forth. I need to get some seed ordered for fall tho. It's really hard to decide.
I am very pleased with the seed selections. TTTF makes a very nice lawn. I had a tttf lawn at my old house and have many posts with pics and some reno areas to look at if interested. That being said I chose to go nuclear and do a complete reno at my new home as soon as i moved in. There are threads covering entire seasonal processes on that.

I decided on pure kbg blend because i was tired of the overseeding process i was accustomed to with tttf and of course my yard is 98% full sun. Kbg spreads and self repairs when healthy. I can attest to that first hand as i had some spots die oit from heat last year. They pretty much filled in already on their own.

I love the appearance of kbg but tttf is also gorgeous when fed and maintained. Either types are fine choices for a lawn and both cam be very dark. Its just a matter of preference really. Unless you enjoy the process of killing and seeding its best to give it some thought so you dont have to redo as it is alot of work no matter the size of area. I dont think you can go wrong with either type or even a mix of the two.

Nick