Greenrebellions Grass Grow - Poa Annua Monostand

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Greenrebellions Grass Grow - Day 35 Poa Annua Monostand

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 15th, 2016, 7:55 am

At his point I would say it's too late to start over. Your first frost date is Oct. 3. Or somewhere close to that. Not enough time. Start fighting the weeds now. Just be prepared for the battle in the spring.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Greenrebellions Grass Grow - Day 35 Poa Annua Monostand

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 8:55 am

GeorgiaDad wrote:At his point I would say it's too late to start over. Your first frost date is Oct. 3. Or somewhere close to that. Not enough time. Start fighting the weeds now. Just be prepared for the battle in the spring.
I tend to agree that it is probably too late at this point to redo, but when you say "start fighting the weeds"...I guess I'm not sure how to fight Poa as it doesn't seem like there is much out there that kills it. Tenacity seems worthless against it based on historical threads I've read.

My biggest fear is that I end up deciding to re-renovate next year, but it ends up failing again as I'll have so much Poa or weed grass on the ground and fallowing won't kill it off unless I do a late reno after it starts germinating or do a spring reno.

Its unreal how much weed grass is coming up, some areas that didn't even have ANY rain washout at are basically 70% grassy weeds. And the little KBG I do have, is still only one inch tall 35 days after germination. Does this shit ever start growing?

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Re: Greenrebellions Grass Grow - Day 39 Poa Annua Monostand

Post by seiyafan » September 16th, 2016, 8:59 am

Come next spring, those poa will start to seed ferociously once they wake up, you better do something.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » September 16th, 2016, 9:01 am

Poa you could use tenacity to make it turn white and then roundup to kill it. And yes the KBG will eventually start growing. You are probably in the sprout and pout phase.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 9:15 am

tlinden wrote:Poa you could use tenacity to make it turn white and then roundup to kill it. And yes the KBG will eventually start growing. You are probably in the sprout and pout phase.
Its already white in front/side yard as I put Tenacity down a week ago (and backyard two days ago).

If there were simply pockets of Poa, I think spot treating with roundup could work as I could then patch with pots, but this weed grass is pervasive. It is widespread throughout entire yard and there are literally only a handful of small areas that don't have any weed grass. Weed grass is growing in such high quantities that you'd swear I mixed weed seed into the KBG seed (not possible though as the KBG pots are pure KBG).

I guess I'll give it a few more days to see how the Tenacity progresses, but its not going to kill off the Poa and I'm 98% sure that's what I am growing. And if I let this stuff go to seed, it may be game over forever.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 9:51 am

Ok, how about this as a plan. I may be in uncharted waters, but wanted to get your thoughts on the following.

Actions:
October 1st '16 Roundup - this gives me a few more weeks to make sure that this is probably an unrecoverable reno
Early Oct '16 - Seed annual ryegrass as a temporary cover crop for erosion/weed control
Summer '17 - Ryegrass should die off
July '17 - Fallow
August '17 - seed down

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Post by __JT__ » September 16th, 2016, 10:31 am

That’s what I would do, but I’m new to this…and have never dealt with poa...

But yah, it’s a "work in progress". The only other angle I see is that if you used a perennial rye, next year you could have the option of doing the yard one section at a time, if need be. Thing is that takes longer. My yard (10k grass area) will be a three year project. My nemesis was (is) zoysia. Just saying if you can get one part on track, and focus that part, and then expand.

FWIW, just throwing some ideas out there…

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 10:54 am

__JT__ wrote:That’s what I would do, but I’m new to this…and have never dealt with poa...

But yah, it’s a "work in progress". The only other angle I see is that if you used a perennial rye, next year you could have the option of doing the yard one section at a time, if need be. Thing is that takes longer. My yard (10k grass area) will be a three year project. My nemesis was (is) zoysia. Just saying if you can get one part on track, and focus that part, and then expand.

FWIW, just throwing some ideas out there…
Thanks for the suggestion.

I love the idea as it would allow me to space out my 12K sf of grass over multiple years, but am concerned about the perennial ryegrass establishing as I'm 30 days from frost. Also, annual ryegrass has an advantage in that it can be easily sowed into an unprepared seed bed. I have no idea if the same can be said for perennial rye.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » September 16th, 2016, 11:26 am

To me it looks like some kind of sedge..
Idk if you found out for sure yet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Zareth wrote:To me it looks like some kind of sedge..
Idk if you found out for sure yet.

I don't think any sedge has boat shaped tips. Its almost certainly some kind of bluegrass.

I may nuke it this weekend, may be too close to frost to hold off much longer on planting the rye. If anyone has any last recommendations or any thoughts on a way to save this without nuking it, I am certainly open as I have a lot of money into this.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 16th, 2016, 1:00 pm

greenrebellion wrote:... I ... wanted to get your thoughts on the following.

Actions:
October 1st '16 Roundup - this gives me a few more weeks to make sure that this is probably an unrecoverable reno
Early Oct '16 - Seed annual ryegrass as a temporary cover crop for erosion/weed control
Personally, if you are going to seed again this fall, I suggest seeding with what you want eventually, rather than a "temporary cover crop." You may get lucky with a gentle start to winter and you may be able to keep some sections "as is" rather than re-seed them again. You'll also gain some experience with what you're trying to grow in the long run.

If you do plant annual ryegrass as a "temporary cover crop" do not count on it dying out. Use Roundup on it to kill it off 6 weeks before you are looking to reseed, with two rounds of fallowing / germination watering.

mgarnto1
Grass Type: kbg
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mgarnto1 » September 16th, 2016, 4:13 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
greenrebellion wrote:... I ... wanted to get your thoughts on the following.

Actions:
Personally, if you are going to seed again this fall, I suggest seeding with what you want eventually, rather than a "temporary cover crop." You may get lucky with a gentle start to winter and you may be able to keep some sections "as is" rather than re-seed them again. You'll also gain some experience with what you're trying to grow in the long run.

If you do plant annual ryegrass as a "temporary cover crop" do not count on it dying out. Use Roundup on it to kill it off 6 weeks before you are looking to reseed, with two rounds of fallowing / germination watering.
If you had the extra seed on hand this is what I'd do also. I'm not an expert at all in any fashion, but id rather roll the nice than plant something I don't want. If it doest work Id try for a spring Reno. Not optimal but with tenacity it just might work

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Boy, I am truly outraged right now.

I went to my backyard as I had been thinking that had the least amount of weed grass, but no, its 80% weeds. There is no way in the world that my yard had that many weeds in it. I've lived here a year and barely had any weedgrass, mostly just ragweed. There was no Poa in my yard for the past 12 months. The density of the weed grass is simply way too high for it to be all native to my yard. I mean look at this picture below, unless that is all elite KBG then I am absolutely F'ed. I already have Poa Annua going to seed out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Elite KBG ever go to seed this quickly? Does elite KBG ever have a red base? Does elite KBG ever look like the photos below. My entire yard is nothing but this crap below with maybe 20% KBG.

Last edited by greenrebellion on September 16th, 2016, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » September 16th, 2016, 5:24 pm

You could seed with some kind of flower and grass mix for cover and then a broadleaf killer later on to make room for more grass.

Clover and stuff like that improves tilth.

If you round up today how long would you have until the latest day frost is expected?

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 16th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Zareth wrote:
If you round up today how long would you have until the latest day frost is expected?

His average first frost is Oct 3rd.

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 5:35 pm

I think first frost is a little later on the west side of MI since temps are moderated by the lake. Per this link, frost risk is Oct 22nd.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-fr ... &submit=Go

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Just called my hydroseeder, he said he's used that supplier of Compost on hundreds of jobs over the years. Guy has been in business for 20 years so I'm kind of inclined to believe him.

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » September 16th, 2016, 6:06 pm

greenrebellion wrote:Boy, I am truly outraged right now.

I went to my backyard as I had been thinking that had the least amount of weed grass, but no, its 80% weeds. There is no way in the world that my yard had that many weeds in it. I've lived here a year and barely had any weedgrass, mostly just ragweed. There was no Poa in my yard for the past 12 months. The density of the weed grass is simply way too high for it to be all native to my yard. I mean look at this picture below, unless that is all elite KBG then I am absolutely F'ed. I already have Poa Annua going to seed out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Elite KBG ever go to seed this quickly? Does elite KBG ever have a red base? Does elite KBG ever look like the photos below. My entire yard is nothing but this crap below with maybe 20% KBG.

Doesn't look like 39 day elite KBG to me. The red base one is certainly not KBG, nor should any of it be seeding right now. KBG seeds next spring around the growth flush.

Doing a quick scan of your thread I think the problem hit on Aug 19th when you had the washout. That combined with not fallowing are where it went wrong.
by greenrebellion » August 19th, 2016, 8:42 am

Disaster Strikes...

greenrebellion

Post by greenrebellion » September 16th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Here's a couple of better shots that really show the contrast. 80% of what I'm growing is the "bad" stuff. Probably going to nuke tomorrow.

And thanks Ligrass, I fully agree with your assessment.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 17th, 2016, 7:37 am

I wiped out my Poa annua last spring. Tenacity at 2oz rate, followed by 1oz rate every 2-3 days for 4 apps.
Also hit some with PGR which reduced seedheads.