BrianJE
Grass Type: Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: BrianJE's 2016 reno Bewitched day 35/28

Post by BrianJE » May 9th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Pete1313 wrote:
May 7th, 2017, 10:05 am
Primo- good to be on, especially when mowing lower. It will reduce how often you need to cut. You mention the frequent soccer play and keeping the turf in top shape, but if you can keep the 2000lb mower off the turf longer from primo that will reduce wear as well. Lots of other benefits to primo as well. I do like your thoughts on holding off on it in case of a fungal issue. It does seem like I wise decision to hold off until growth picks up again in fall and disease pressure is reduced. You had some fungal issues last year so probably a wise choice. If mowing becomes too frequent and issues arise from that, then maybe think about applying it.

FAS- Ferrous Sulfate and Ammonium Sulfate. Search in the articles section for spray iron applications for your lawn. Gives the lawn a boost of darker color. I typically mix it in when applying Primo. Reason I asked is because those pics look really dark, like you already applied it :good: . Man I miss my Bewitched. :sorry:

Preventative fungicides- serenade is a good plan. Stay on it and don't skip just because things are looking good. Also, think about applying more frequently or higher rate when conditions are ripe for disease pressure. Frequent serenade apps will also help you practice your spraying techniques and precision so when the time comes to spray primo or anything else that requires precision you will feel more comfortable. The only other preventative thing I have done in past years is a few apps of ground corn, but don't have much experience with fungal issues/outbreaks. If something does pop up, stay on top of it, post what you found, and be prepared to act quick.

1" should be a safe HOC for year round. When fall comes around and you decide to apply primo, you can experiment slowly taking it down and see how it responds. Careful though, because the lower you go the more amazing it will look IMO. It will become even more like that professional soccer field you are trying to replicate. :hello:

Excellent info Pete , as usual. Never even considered less mowing is less wear and tear as well on the lawn.

Lawn looks more dark green in the pictures than it actually is. That was some very flattering evening light.

I imagine someday in the future I will be swapping out my mower for something smaller and lighter like yours. Also a tighter turning radius would help . My jd is too much mower for 12-15k of lawn.