Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
ezael
Grass Type: Fielder, Arcadia, Merit, Quantum Leap KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Ezael's 2016 Front Yard KBG Reno- The Spring After

Post by ezael » September 8th, 2016, 9:35 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I figured I would open a thread about my front yard KBG reno. This is my first renovation ever and I am hoping this turns out well.
A little back story, I bought my first home in may 2015 in Western Massachusetts and after about a year I decided that I wanted my next project to be getting the front lawn in better shape. 2500 SqFt and no irrigation on site.
This was a pic of the condition of the lawn earlier this spring.
The a strip along the fence was destroyed prior to moving in due to an agreement of a new spetic system to be installed at closing in the back yard. The contractor cleaned it up pretty good and then seeded it with contruction seed and put a ton of weeds in the lawn. :banghead:
Over the first year I filled it in with some pennington northern mix seed along with that green circle in the front, it filled in ok but looked ridiculous with how different the texture and color was from the existing grass. This is when I decided I was going to kill it all and start fresh.

Before we get to far let me inform everyone that I am still learning and finding plenty of mistakes as I go. I also have 2 kids and work 40+ hours a week, I've tried not to cut any corners while staying on schedule and budget and assuring the wife that this really is a good idea. :blackeye:
Not 100% sure on some of the days but this has been my journey so far.

Late July-sprayed application of RU on 2500sqft of front lawn, a week later it was scalped and bagged.

Early August-I then decided that there were parts of the lawn I did not like its grade and was concerned with compaction from the contruction crew driving over the lawn to install the septic system. (I didn't see how they prepped before seed, I am assuming the packed it and seeded). So I decided to till the entire yard.
I am not sure this was necessary or even a good idea? :roll: I then raked out all the old dead grass and roots and hauled them off the my dump and anywhere else I could legally dispose of it. This was extremely back breaking and labor intense work, would not wish on my worst enemy. The budget did not including paying anyone to remove it so I did it myself.
This is about 1/2 way through, things started greening up so i sprayed again and keep hauling it off. Just looking at some of these pictures makes my back hurt!
Mid August-My wife then said what about a sprinkler system? :D At first I said nah I think it would be too expensive...but then I priced it out doing myself and turns out I was able to install myself for about 250$. I think she might have regretted saying that? For a small piece of land I could probably get away with a sprinkler/timer on the faucet but I wanted the discreet look of the underground system and I do love me some plumbing. :P Since the ground was already opened up trenching and installation was actually very easy and only took about 4-5 hours. 200ft of 1/2" poly, 4 sprinkler heads,a bunch of barb fittings, timer and an anti siphone valve was about all there is to it.
Sept 1st Seed down, early I had purchased a KBG mix of 30% Arcadia 30% Fielder 20% Merit 20% Quantum Leap.
Dropped starter Fert
Sprayed 4oz/acre rate Tenacity
Raked and rolled into soil and kicked on the sprinklers to water it in.
Only 5 photos i guess...Will post on reply after.
The early sprouts just popped up on 9/7 looking good.
Looking back I would have liked to do a few things differently. Maybe get a soil test? I'm pretty sure my wife would have killed me if she found out I paid to have someone analyze our dirt.. but hey I got about 99% of what I wanted done and things are looking good so far.
I look forward to hearing comments questions and advice as this project continues to move forward!
Last edited by ezael on April 12th, 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ezael

Re: Ezael's 2016 Front Yard KBG Reno

Post by ezael » September 8th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Here are the pics of the finished product
Here is a pic of the first few sprouts coming up!

ezael

Post by ezael » September 13th, 2016, 9:15 am

Not sure where to ask since their is no page just for fertilizer questions. Does anyone know where I could get urea in the Massachusetts area? I've asked local landscaping places but no one stocks it. Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edenl01 » September 13th, 2016, 10:00 am

Think agricultural. Do you have any farm communities near? Look for ag co-op type places. Feed and seed type stores too.

ezael

Post by ezael » September 13th, 2016, 10:44 am

edenl01 wrote:Think agricultural. Do you have any farm communities near? Look for ag co-op type places. Feed and seed type stores too.

Thanks I'll look there too

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » September 13th, 2016, 11:21 am

None of the landscaping stores will take a special request? Try to find a place that is a supplier for the landscapers in the area, they should be taking a lot of special requests for specific plants, materials, chemicals, etc.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by __JT__ » September 13th, 2016, 9:30 pm

I got some at an Agway. You might have one nearby. They charged me about $27 for 50#, but from what I read most people are paying in the $17-20 range.

The other stores in Mass that I've read, but not been to, are Crop Production Services, and Valley Green

http://valleygreenusa.com/locations/

^+1 on on feed and seed stores. I was in NH a few weeks back picking my kid up from running camp, and I stopped at a random roadside feed and seed store. They had everything in there and it was cheap!

ezael

Post by ezael » September 15th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Day 15
Things are filling in nicely. Seeded a few areas I believe the birds had some free lunch. Not too worried about not being able to apply a second round of Tenacity because its relatively weed free besides a couple of weeds here and there I am pulling by hand.

TheOscarGuy
Grass Type: don't know/mix

Post by TheOscarGuy » September 16th, 2016, 8:24 am

ezael wrote:Not sure where to ask since their is no page just for fertilizer questions. Does anyone know where I could get urea in the Massachusetts area? I've asked local landscaping places but no one stocks it. Thanks.

I got mine from Agway in franklin MA. It was $22-23 for 50lb bag.

ezael

Post by ezael » September 16th, 2016, 11:25 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
ezael wrote:Not sure where to ask since their is no page just for fertilizer questions. Does anyone know where I could get urea in the Massachusetts area? I've asked local landscaping places but no one stocks it. Thanks.

I got mine from Agway in franklin MA. It was $22-23 for 50lb bag.
Thanks I'll definatly check that out

ezael

Re: Ezael's 2016 Front Yard KBG Reno- Day 21 progress

Post by ezael » September 22nd, 2016, 8:28 pm

Hey guys small update,Grass on Day 21

Things are starting to pick up a few small areas are starting to come out of Sprout and Pout. Since Ive got some areas that are about 17 days into germination and some areas that are still germinating I am going to hold off on any kind of urea apps for a bit but was thinking of doing a Mil app at .5 lbs N/1K. Also possible coming up on a second application of Tenacity around early Oct. I feel a little blessed with the luck ive had so far. Only the occasional weed here and there, also a mole who has been popping up briefly, enough to annoy but not really ruin anything. Let me know if you guys see anything I'm missing.

Also went from a watering schedule of 3 times a day for 8 mins to 2 times a day for 12 mins each time.

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ndlutz » September 22nd, 2016, 9:16 pm

If your conditions are anything like mine, you will probably see things pick up a lot re: emergence from sprout and pout this week. I saw a big change from day 20-30.

You may want to think about doing something about the mole. Other renovators have had issues this year with moles and they seem to be pretty destructive. You may want to take action before you have a big problem.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 22nd, 2016, 9:19 pm

Glad to see a few folks giving a little respect to Sprout and Pout. Too many people rationalizing that they are "special" and can ignore S&P. The Piper plays the final tune....

ezael

Post by ezael » September 22nd, 2016, 9:29 pm

ndlutz wrote:If your conditions are anything like mine, you will probably see things pick up a lot re: emergence from sprout and pout this week. I saw a big change from day 20-30.

You may want to think about doing something about the mole. Other renovators have had issues this year with moles and they seem to be pretty destructive. You may want to take action before you have a big problem.
He only pops out a few feet into my reno then runs to the neighbors yard...So i set a trap and wait a few days. Then my 1 year old sees a shiny silver trap sticking out of the ground and wants to play with it so I take it out. Then he does it again a few days later but ill catch up to him sooner or later :aikido:

Also I've heard a lot of people saying how much their KBG renos started sprouting in the 4th week, so I'm pretty excited for this week.
Last edited by ezael on September 22nd, 2016, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezael

Post by ezael » September 22nd, 2016, 9:34 pm

andy10917 wrote:Glad to see a few folks giving a little respect to Sprout and Pout. Too many people rationalizing that they are "special" and can ignore S&P. The Piper plays the final tune....
Thanks Andy, I can't pretend that I have not been up late at night a few times contemplating dropping some urea in the dark and seeing some of that beautiful green pop up, if one thing this place has taught me so far is patients pays off.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 22nd, 2016, 9:49 pm

Yeah, I hear you. In another 12 days, I will have owned my lawn for 30 years. I'm patient, and pretty soon I may actually be happy with a few square feet of it. And then I'll renovate again.

ezael

Post by ezael » September 27th, 2016, 8:29 pm

DAY 26

Pulling out of sprout and pout, starting to feed the lawn today. Going to start putting down .5 lbs N/K every other week until the pause.
Also just about ready for the first mow down to 2".

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 27th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Looks good. You're slightly ahead of my 31 day old lawn, I'm still pouting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ezael

Re: Ezael's 2016 Front Yard KBG Reno- Day 32 progress

Post by ezael » October 3rd, 2016, 10:26 pm

DAY 32

Another application of Urea went down this weekend at .5 N/K.
Spot sprayed a couple of weeds with 4oz/acre rate Tenacity
Germination is pretty much complete and moving to watering every other day.

vudu
Grass Type: KBG: Blueberry / Bewitched

Re: Ezael's 2016 Front Yard KBG Reno- Day 32 progress

Post by vudu » October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am

Wow that looks really good Ezael. It's awesome to see the difference from day 26 to 32 and the impact urea has. Way to go.