Out of time mid-reno - put down annual ryegrass or KBG?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
sokoloff
Grass Type: 2017 Bewitched
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Out of time mid-reno - put down annual ryegrass or KBG?

Post by sokoloff » October 5th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I knew I had a tight schedule for my reno, and that tight schedule has turned into a busted schedule with a couple delays for grading, stump removal, and loam delivery, and irrigation install (the last is my own fault, the former just some unfortunate timing).

In any case, I'm going to be able to wrap up the irrigation install this weekend and at that point face a choice: put down the KBG sod-quality seed I bought (and risk a substantial loss of the crop if we get an early winter), put down annual ryegrass, or leave the mudpit. The latter won't fly, so I'm torn between the first two and leaning towards putting down the KBG.

Stipulation: I don't care about the ~$125 for the seed. That's not even remotely a factor. It's entirely about getting something down to hold down the muddiness for the fall and winter. If I end up having to seed again in the spring, that's no problem.

Annual ryegrass I could grow on a dinner plate and it would grow quickly enough.

Cambridge, MA. 5500 ft^2. All prior grass killed, fallowed, then Harley raked to improve/fix grading, additional loam brought in and final graded. When it's wet, it's a sloppy mess as the top few inches have no roots to hold things together. We have a dog who is getting more baths than she'd prefer because of the situation. Last year (a bit of an anomaly I think), I was mowing the grass until the first week of Dec using ~0.25# of N / 1000ft^2 per week.

Given where I'm at:
Any reason NOT to put down the KBG (Bewitched)?

Anything I can do to help the chances of getting it established this year (other than "find a time machine")?

If the advice is against that, is it for annual rye? If I go that route, I'll need to kill it all in the spring and put down the KBG then.

Thanks, guys!

laadams85
Grass Type: TF, KBG, Rye grass

Re: Out of time mid-reno - put down annual ryegrass or KBG?

Post by laadams85 » October 5th, 2016, 12:36 pm

It takes a solid month for KBG to germinate, and you are two weeks away from your average first frost. That's gonna be a disaster. Put down the rye, live with it till next year and renovate in the fall. A spring renovation is also ill advised.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 5th, 2016, 12:47 pm

If not having mud this fall is your primary success criteria perennial rye is your friend.

Unless you're feeling lucky, store the bewitched in a cool dry place until next fall.

If money REALLY isn't an issue there used to be a Bewitched sod supplier on the north side of Indy. Prairie something or other. Have them ship you a bunch IF THEY HAVE IT.

Bewitched seed is in short supply so if you toss it out now make sure you have enough for the spring to redo it all.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » October 5th, 2016, 2:07 pm

HGL, i think the sod supplier is called Genesis Farm and I've seen them deliver into mid November.

Sokoloff, what about doing a 50/50 mix of annual rye and the kbg you haveI? If lucky the kbg grows and the rye eventually dies. At worst you wasted half of your kbg seeds but don't have as much of a muddy mess.

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix

Post by mtlcafan79 » October 5th, 2016, 2:20 pm

PRG reno pics for some food for thought: http://aroundtheyard.com/renovations/pj ... t3011.html

Someone else had some decent Double Eagle PRG pictures, but I can't find them. Either way, looks better than a mud pit to me.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » October 5th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Perennial rye grass for the win.

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » October 5th, 2016, 4:10 pm

probasesteal wrote:Perennial rye grass for the win.

That's my vote too. I don't think even sod will have deep enough roots into the new loam to secure it through the winter.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » October 5th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Now is actually the best time to plant sod, the roots will continue to grow as long as the ground is not completely frozen.

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ndlutz » October 5th, 2016, 5:46 pm

As others have said, you can go get a bag of Lesco Double Eagle and have a new PRG lawn in 30 days. It looks really, really nice too.

Here's my project from last year:

http://aroundtheyard.com/renovations/nd ... lit=ndlutz

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » October 5th, 2016, 7:24 pm

DO NOT PUT DOWN ANNUAL RYE!

I've had it come back even after spraying roundup and fallowing many times, go with perennial and kill it off beginning of July, start fallowing, and plant the seed you want August 1st

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 5th, 2016, 7:44 pm

If it's any consolation, we're in exactly the same boat. Septic tank was supposed to be installed in late August. It just got installed last Friday, but isn't fully complete yet (riser not yet installed) and the loam to cover it just got delivered yesterday. We can't spread all the loam until tomorrow, maybe Friday.

Not sure what to do... Had been planning to sow Bewitched if the installation had been on schedule in mid August.

Many people seem to think we should do Lesco Double Eagle PRG. Well, at least it's readily available at some Home Depot locations. Although most near me seem to be sold out...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » October 5th, 2016, 7:45 pm

That's the best option in my opinion. But many HD's do not restock this time of year.

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back

Post by ndlutz » October 5th, 2016, 8:48 pm

If you have a JDL nearby, check there.

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by HoosierDaddy » October 6th, 2016, 10:44 am

Prairie Creek Sod at indysod.com has 100% Bewitched KBG sod. G-man, I've looked into Genesis Farms (lots of signs for them near me!) but they don't seem to post what cultivars they use.

Liquid3d
Grass Type: Rear Right - Mix, Rear left - KBG Barrister + Midnight, Front renovating to KBG Barrister + Blueberry + Bewitched
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Liquid3d » October 6th, 2016, 4:00 pm

I was in almost the exact same situation and all in Ma but close to the RI line.

I finished the leveling, Retaining wall and everything else this weekend.
My town has watering restrictions so i can't even try to water daily until the 30th of september.
My wife was ok with dealing with the mud pit if that's what we get so I went ahead and put down the KBG. She would rather that than me kill it and start again in spring.
I put down a good layer of Compost as that may add some warmth as it breaks down and the yard needed it anyway.
From the experience of the pots i am growing to fill in any bare spots i have been getting great germination of about 5-8 days for about 15% and maybe 50% by the second week.
If i can get at least 50% established I think it should fill in pretty well next year.

I'm only doing about 1000sqf and have thought about even laying some old moving blankets down for the night if a frost is do early.
I'll be posting up a reno log soon and will be following yours.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » October 6th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Barenbrug has a very nice and dark turf-type Italian rye(annual) called Panterra V. You can order it from HD. It's genetically engineered to germinate at temperatures as low as 40F. I used it last year in late October and had complete germination and a full stand in 30 days. I'm not sure about a full stand with perennial, this time of year. I've seen no annual germination since fallowing in August. I'm not sure what type of annual rye grass Abyss used. I've had no problems.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » October 6th, 2016, 8:51 pm

I don't know if anyone is reading before they post -- Abyss put (in CAPITAL LETTERS) ***not*** to use Annual Rye. I agree with him. It can be a recurring nightmare. Use Perennial Rye, and it is widely available (although often not restocked when it runs out of stock this time of year).

You will have a nice lawn with PR in no time. The biggest danger is you may really like it!!

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » October 6th, 2016, 9:05 pm

I saw the ***not***. I had a completely different experience with my TTAR.

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » October 6th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Safe bet would be perennial rye. If your really set on bewitched now and have some extra room in your budget you could cover your lawn with landscape fabric ( not plastic, woven breathable fabric)after seeding, fert, tenacity and peat. It will act to keep soil warmer longer into the season, allow water and sunlight to reach plant.

May not be cost effective for the whole yard but might be worthwhile in high priority areas. You need to source if from a landscape supply store, not a big box store. They should have 8 or 10' wide rolls.

Keep us posted...

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

ligrass
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched; some areas PRG

Post by ligrass » October 7th, 2016, 7:37 am

andy10917 wrote:I don't know if anyone is reading before they post -- Abyss put (in CAPITAL LETTERS) ***not*** to use Annual Rye. I agree with him. It can be a recurring nightmare. Use Perennial Rye, and it is widely available (although often not restocked when it runs out of stock this time of year).

You will have a nice lawn with PR in no time. -->The biggest danger is you may really like it!!<--

Completely agree. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into with PRG...