How to use a lawn roller?

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Gags
Grass Type: Both types of Poa, with a hint of Bewitched...
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

How to use a lawn roller?

Post by Gags » February 24th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Yes, I realize this title sounds like it belongs in the "101" section, but figured this forum would have more traffic.

I've usually rented one from the local rental store ($20 for 4 hours - kills me!). IIRC, instructions are to fill it 1/3 way with water.

I'd like to try and flatten a few bumps in the part of the yard that needed to be tilled last year (has since been re-seeded, grass is about 9 months old). If the existing soil is "soft" from either irrigation or recent rainfall, would you fill the roller more and go over the area multiple times, or just keep it at the 1/3 level?

The 1/3 didn't seem to compact the soil as much as I had hoped last year, and I may need to follow a similar process on another section of lawn this year, so looking to see what's worked for others.

Thanks in advance,

Gags

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How to use a lawn roller?

Post by tlinden » February 24th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I don't know. I tried it too with no luck. Every winter the lawn gets bumpier lol

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » February 24th, 2017, 5:17 pm

You're only supposed to fill it 1/3 of the way? I always tip the roller on its side and fill it to the brim. It's what, only 250-300 pounds when full? I don't see how filling it 1/3 of the way is going to do anything.

I like to do it after a lot of rain. As wet as I can get without squeezing water out of the ground. If they're big bumps, well, that's probably going to require quite a few passes to make it less noticeable.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » February 25th, 2017, 7:41 pm

IMHO, to flatten out a tilled area, you certainly don't want the soil wet or very moist. Otherwise, compaction can be a serious issue. Use completely filled roller. You can always water afterwards to help settling. A few days later, you can roll again when the soil has drained. This will help keep the soil's tilth.

To flatten out winter upheave, I like a moist soil with ~1/3 filled roller.

Gags

Post by Gags » March 14th, 2017, 5:29 pm

(a very delayed...)Thank You for the responses. Trying to purchase one online - looks like HD has one for $89 that should be back in stock tomorrow. As mentioned, getting tired of paying $20-30 to rent one.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » March 15th, 2017, 11:00 pm

^ Been there done that. I bought from Menards.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » March 16th, 2017, 10:40 pm

tlinden wrote:
February 24th, 2017, 3:44 pm
I don't know. I tried it too with no luck. Every winter the lawn gets bumpier lol
I really only use the roller for seeding. Some here say you don't need to roll the seeds in, but it makes me feel a little better knowing that I gave at least some of the seeds good seed to soil contact.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » March 16th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Gags wrote:
March 14th, 2017, 5:29 pm
(a very delayed...)Thank You for the responses. Trying to purchase one online - looks like HD has one for $89 that should be back in stock tomorrow. As mentioned, getting tired of paying $20-30 to rent one.
I am not sure if its too late for this reply, but Craigs List is your friend. I grabbed a nice steel one from someone getting out of the lawn care business for $30. It was an older one that was built much better than anything home depot sells anymore.

Be patient and you will see plenty of CL ads from people cleaning out their sheds.

chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by chrismar » March 17th, 2017, 10:33 am

Gags wrote:
March 14th, 2017, 5:29 pm
Look for former rentals that are now for sale. My local HD has a rental one up for grabs for $60.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » March 17th, 2017, 12:06 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
March 16th, 2017, 10:40 pm
tlinden wrote:
February 24th, 2017, 3:44 pm
I really only use the roller for seeding. Some here say you don't need to roll the seeds in, but it makes me feel a little better knowing that I gave at least some of the seeds good seed to soil contact.
Oh yeah for seeding I used it fine. But for getting out the bumps, did nothing.

Gags

Post by Gags » March 20th, 2017, 5:04 pm

what's drawing me to the "new" one is the rounded edges - even with it only partially filled, I found the "sharper" edge of the steel ones dug into the soil more than I'd prefer when trying to turn it - but I probably just need to plan my route better and flip the handle vs trying to pivot the entire drum. Thinking more about as I type this - I really don't know WHY I wasn't doing that in the first place????

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » March 20th, 2017, 9:26 pm

^ Ditto. I never spin the drum. I flip the handle and start a gentle arc, fall back on the new row, and then proceed forward again.