Fusebox 2017 Front/Side Reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fusebox 2017 Front/Side Reno

Post by Green » May 17th, 2017, 7:32 pm

A combination preliminary seeding and fallowing period...

That mulch stuff (Encap or Pennmulch granules) might be useful still.

Green

Post by Green » May 17th, 2017, 8:32 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
May 16th, 2017, 9:05 pm
I thought about that - but PRG, not annual rye since it's a prolific seeder. I also considered a 5-10% mix of PRG planted with my KBG but would be nervous about the studies that propose that the next year would yield an increase of as much as 25-30% PRG. I often wonder what ATY folks' real-world results have been.
I think that's a moot point now, because you've decided not to do it. But real-world results of mixing KBG and PR don't seem to be consistent in my experience. I've done seeding with 50/50 KBG/PR and gotten a lot of KBG a few years later (over 50% I would say). In contrast, last Spring I seeded an area with mostly FF, a bit of KBG, and a bit of PR, and now I have easily over 50% (it sure looks like that much) PR the following Spring in that area. For whatever reason, results have varied. Maybe modern, elite KBG just holds its own against PR better than some other things--like FF--do. Or maybe Spring versus late Summer versus Fall seeding is a factor. Who knows!

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Jackpine » May 18th, 2017, 5:14 am

I'd stick with the KBG only. Have Tenacity on hand for any POA that pops up during the summer which is always possible in Michigan with all the watering you will be doing.

fusebox7
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix - KBG, PRG, FF | Back: 100% PRG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by fusebox7 » May 18th, 2017, 7:46 am

Sicride wrote:
May 17th, 2017, 7:47 am
I can't remember if you have irrigation or not?
Yes I do and it's not bad cost-wise where we are at so I am not concerned with that part. I just want to be hyper-sensitive to ensuring I have adequate and even coverage so I'll be doing some testing/config before seed-down.

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Sicride » May 18th, 2017, 8:21 am

That's promising! The sooner the better, don't over think it, do it! You can always fix and adjust later and still not be any worse off than if you waited the whole time.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 18th, 2017, 8:36 am

I'll take a look at the recommendations for starter mulch - probably a smart idea (I'm looking at ~5500 sq ft). Do you have any good sources for either of those that you mentioned? Seems like some of those products are very pricey for 5K of coverage...

Seed is separate right now but I am planning on doing equal parts by weight:
Award 33%
Bewitched 33%
Mazama 33%

Unless anyone has any tips that would otherwise change those percentages. I figure if I seed each equally I can see what tends to dominate over time. Light filtered shade due to tall thin canopies but most of the day is full sun. The shade comes into play more in the early and late seasons when the sun is lower (south) in the sky.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 18th, 2017, 10:18 am

fusebox7 wrote:
May 18th, 2017, 8:36 am
... I am planning on doing equal parts by weight:
Award 33%
Bewitched 33%
Mazama 33%

Unless anyone has any tips that would otherwise change those percentages. I figure if I seed each equally I can see what tends to dominate over time.
I regularly read of folks here saying they can tell the difference in their lawn between different cultivars in a blend. However, I have no clue how they're doing this reliably. I have a Bewitched monostand in my side lawn, and different Bewitched plants look markedly different from one another depending upon who knows what factors including amount of sunlight, age of plant, amount of water, local fertilization variation, leaf-to-leaf variation, etc.

Individual blades from the same plant don't even all look the same! Some blades are thinner, or wider, or floppier, or stiffer, or lighter, or darker, or ...

Anyway, I think that a lot of times when folks think they can tell the difference between KBG cultivars, they are not really distinguishing different cultivars, but instead seeing differences in appearance with a cross-section of each cultivar in each group that they think are different cultivars.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » May 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 18th, 2017, 10:18 am
Anyway, I think that a lot of times when folks think they can tell the difference between KBG cultivars, they are not really distinguishing different cultivars, but instead seeing differences in appearance with a cross-section of each cultivar in each group that they think are different cultivars.
I absolutely agree, I have a Bewitched Monostand I planted last year and the areas that get more sunlight opposed to the areas that get shade look different. Both areas look good, but the areas that get more sunlight look great.

Green

Post by Green » May 18th, 2017, 2:15 pm

That's true too...but overall if you look at the whole swath, something like Bewitched is going to be darker, slower growing, coarser, and slower to wake up than something like America. You can definitely spot the general contrast.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 23rd, 2017, 8:50 am

Been ready to seed... however it's been raining every day and also every day in the foreseeable future. Going to have to fix erosion spots once it dries out enough (lots of mud). Bought Encap starter mulch with tackifier for seed-down. Started pots yesterday and will be tracking germination on those just for s's and g's.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » May 23rd, 2017, 9:22 am

fusebox7 wrote:
May 18th, 2017, 8:36 am

Seed is separate right now but I am planning on doing equal parts by weight:
Award 33%
Bewitched 33%
Mazama 33%

Unless anyone has any tips that would otherwise change those percentages. I figure if I seed each equally I can see what tends to dominate over time.
Only thing I can think of is *if* the cultivars have substantial differences in number of seeds per pound. Did the bags happen to list that? If not, probably not worth fretting over though.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 23rd, 2017, 10:49 am

No I wasn't able to find that count anywhere. I did think about that but I don't think it'll be substantial enough to fret about, like you said.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 23rd, 2017, 12:07 pm

I tried searching for this to no avail... if my seeds are all separate by cultivar should I spread them all separately or is it preferable to mix them before spreading?

Green

Post by Green » May 23rd, 2017, 8:14 pm

I always seed different species or different sized seed of the same species (never had that situation though) separately. As long as you mix thoroughly, there's no problem with mixing a bunch of KBG seed after you weigh it out. More than anything, mixing it well can just be a pain in the neck (from experience...used a wheelbarrow, but it wasn't the best method).

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 24th, 2017, 9:02 am

Thanks. That is what I planned to do (separate passes). At least then I know I spread each variety everywhere.

In other news --- waiting for the soil to dry out a bit (who knows when that will be) so I can make some erosion corrections and roll the soil. Then I'll be ready to seed and lay a starter blanket in the erosion area and use Encap starter mulch on the rest of the bare soil areas. Rain in the forecast every day until June 2. "La Niña visits the Midwest".

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 26th, 2017, 10:28 am

Have a couple dry(er?) days. Applied glyphosate to remaining grass areas in lawn. Backpack spray failed hard. Leaked all over me so took a shower and pulled out the trusty 2-gallon hand-held sprayer. These areas will lag behind the others due to kill period.

As for bare soil/erosion areas - Final bed prep tomorrow then seed, fert, mulch, erosion blanket. Should be a perfect mid 70s, sunny day. Fingers crossed all goes well.

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edenl01 » May 26th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Award seed count according to this link is around 2 million.

http://www.lacrosseseed.com/downloads/t ... egrass.pdf

Bewitched I've seen 1.5-1.7 million on the tech sheets

Stuff like Blue Velvet has a low count of about 1.09 million seeds per pound.

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 26th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Thanks. I suspect the difference won't be enough for me to care - they're all elite and dark.

In other news, I have the first sprout in my pots that were seeded the 22nd. We'll see if it ends up being KBG since it's only been 4 days... might be the Mazama (America).

fusebox7

Post by fusebox7 » May 27th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Seed is down on 3k that was bare soil. Took ~6 hours. I have a whole new respect for those of you who have done bigger renovations. I am drained.

-Rolled before
-3 lb/k (combined) of Mazama, Bewitched, Award
-Scotts starter w/ meso
-Encap starter mulch
-Rolled after
-Paper mulch blankets where erosion is an issue (I don't expect much help from it but at least I can say I tried)
-2 zones set at 7 mins a piece 4 times a day: 6,10am; 2,6pm

Let the heavy drinking begin!

Green

Post by Green » May 27th, 2017, 8:05 pm

fusebox7 wrote:
May 26th, 2017, 10:28 am
Have a couple dry(er?) days. Applied glyphosate to remaining grass areas in lawn. Backpack spray failed hard. Leaked all over me so took a shower and pulled out the trusty 2-gallon hand-held sprayer.
That's kind of scary. Good thing you washed yourself off right away.