Bucky's 2017 Spring Front/Side Reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Bucky's 2017 Spring Front/Side Reno

Post by g-man » May 2nd, 2017, 10:22 pm

I searched and could not find your soil test analysis. Could you post the link?

The starter has phosphorus in it and you applied it 3 weeks ago. Too much of a good thing could be bad. Your young seeds are not out of sprout and pout phase and applying nitrogen is also not ideal http://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/viewto ... 945&start=

I would wait for any other soil amendments for at least a month and wait for sprout before more nitrogen. I searched and could not find info about adding potassium during germination. I hope Andy or someone from the ST6 could share their wisdom and recommendations.

Bucky
Grass Type: Chickweed/Crabgrass/White Clover/ Red Clover

Post by Bucky » May 5th, 2017, 12:01 pm

g-man wrote:
May 2nd, 2017, 10:22 pm
I searched and could not find your soil test analysis. Could you post the link?

The starter has phosphorus in it and you applied it 3 weeks ago. Too much of a good thing could be bad. Your young seeds are not out of sprout and pout phase and applying nitrogen is also not ideal http://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/viewto ... 945&start=

I would wait for any other soil amendments for at least a month and wait for sprout before more nitrogen. I searched and could not find info about adding potassium during germination. I hope Andy or someone from the ST6 could share their wisdom and recommendations.
I did my soil test last fall, before I found this site. I had it done through Penn State University, and received the results in the mail. I applied the starter fert 4 weeks ago. Which is why I felt like I was in the clear.

I did notice that I may have some common ragweed coming in - although I read that tenacity does not control it?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Overall, I'm pleased with the results but missed about a foot on the edges of my yard due to the edgeguard on my spreader. When would you recommend putting seed down in these areas that are bare?

Bucky
Grass Type: Chickweed/Crabgrass/White Clover/ Red Clover

Post by Bucky » June 15th, 2017, 10:26 am

Here are day 70 pics. I've been doin light urea apps, and spot sprayed ragweed with Spectracide on May 28. Maintaining a deep and infrequent watering schedule. There is some nutsedge and crabgrass coming up, but just wondering if I could spot spray tenacity now, or wait until the weather cools off later on in the summer?

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » June 15th, 2017, 4:21 pm

At day 70 and I'm guessing more than 4 mows, you should be able to use WBG + crabgrass preventer. There is no need to use tenacity for crabgrass. Do watch the weather. I avoid WBG if temps could approach 80F and/or the grass is stressed from drought conditions.

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ndlutz » September 3rd, 2018, 8:09 pm

Any updates on this reno?