sis' reno

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
timingchainslipped
Grass Type: kbg
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

sis' reno

Post by timingchainslipped » May 7th, 2017, 4:12 pm

well as if my own problems aren't bad enough. my sis saw how nicely my lawn looked last year and asked what's involved with making a lawn like mine.

i've made it very clear that, unless she's looking to put in a ton of effort, she should not expect much. and she understands that, and is okay with a mediocre lawn.

she's not looking to spray much of anything. she's probably looking to do everything with a spreader and granules. this would be pre-m treatments, mainly.

i can see her attacking the ocassional weed, with a sprayer, but more than likely she'd hire someone or just let the weeds take over.

based on the fact that she doesn't get a ton of sun, and is looking for a maintence free lawn, i figured i would buy 90% TTTF (bullseye, cochise4, and ls1200) and i'd mix that with 10% bewitched. i was reading that while the TTF will bunch, the kbg will fill in the gaps between the bunches.

she's having sprinklers installed in a few weeks, and then the fallowing will begin. (backyard's mainly dirt now).

the front i'll try to keep looking green until 1 month out from seed, where i'll kill and fallow.

i imagine she'll have compaction issues, and knowing how hard/time consuming BLSC has been for me, i might need to consider some mechanical solution that i can address with the fallowing?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: sis' reno

Post by andy10917 » May 7th, 2017, 4:23 pm

i imagine she'll have compaction issues
Why? Does she store bulldozers or 18-wheelers on the lawn? I don't know of many people with herds of cattle on LI, so it can't be that.

timingchainslipped

Post by timingchainslipped » May 7th, 2017, 4:36 pm

she had a lot of work done with a bobcat when they demo'ed the deck, shed, etc. and she used the same guy to lay down top soil, where he smushes the top soil into the ground. she just did the screwdriver test and can only get it in 2" with force. she says ground is "hard as a rock". and that's after 2" of rain on friday.

timingchainslipped

Post by timingchainslipped » May 21st, 2017, 8:32 pm

today i pulled some soil samples, they should be sent out 2m.

her front yard has a big tree, no clue what type, but its roots are all over the place on the front lawn. it was like trying to push through concrete in certain areas, then 2" over, not bad at all.

her back yard was generally more compacted. so i've gotten her started on a BLSC/KH regimen.

she has a ton of quack, so i've advised her to fallow most of the summer, but she wants a green yard 1 month until reno, so worst case we fallow for a month prior, best case all summer.