STL
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Marinegrunt's 2017 Fall Renovation

Post by STL » October 10th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
October 6th, 2017, 10:53 pm
Oh, by the way STL, that lime green area that I had is pretty much completely gone. I know you mentioned maybe nitrogen being the possible cause. I wonder if the grass was too young at the time I applied It?
Hey sorry, I didn't notice this til just now. I think that may have been HLG who commented on the lime green grass. Glad to hear its gone though!

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » October 10th, 2017, 6:41 pm

It didn't take long for me to use....in the 4,000 sq ft I have lol

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 11th, 2017, 9:43 pm

STL wrote:
October 10th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Marinegrunt wrote:
October 6th, 2017, 10:53 pm
Oh, by the way STL, that lime green area that I had is pretty much completely gone. I know you mentioned maybe nitrogen being the possible cause. I wonder if the grass was too young at the time I applied It?
Hey sorry, I didn't notice this til just now. I think that may have been HLG who commented on the lime green grass. Glad to hear its gone though!
You're right. It was HLG. I should've double checked before posting.

I noticed a little germination yesterday which was day 8 of spot seeding. We've had a bunch of rain over the last 4 or 5 days so I hope I didn't lose too much seed. I'm not sure how much we got but easily multiple inches. It poured last night. The ground really needs to dry out some. Since it has been cloudy 5 out of the last 8 days I was surprised to see any germination this soon.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 22nd, 2017, 10:06 pm

My spot seeding is filling in nicely. There are still a few small bare spots due to a bunch of rain washing some seed away. I don't think I need to toss anymore seed down though. There's still some bleaching from the Tenacity but it's gradually getting better. I haven't noticed any weeds since that 30 day app.

I noticed a grub on the surface of the rain soaked yard. Should I go ahead and apply Dylox now or is there any reason I should wait? Do most of you use a liquid or granular? Any other products recommended or should I just use the Dylox 6.2?

JohnP

Post by JohnP » November 1st, 2017, 8:16 pm

How's the reno lookin' as we wind down? Feeling any better about where you're at?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » November 2nd, 2017, 7:26 am

JohnP wrote:
November 1st, 2017, 8:16 pm
How's the reno lookin' as we wind down? Feeling any better about where you're at?
I'm feeling much better. I still habe a few thin spots but nothing too bad. When I spot seeded it rained a lot so the seed didn't want to stay in place on the sloped areas. Most of the Tenacity bleaching is gone buy it's still a little noticeable in some areas. I did a fas foliar application on Sunday and it darkened the grass up nicely. With my higher ph my iron is unavailable so I can supplement every 3 weeks with fas to make up for it. After seeing what it did I'll definitely be doing it.

I need to post some pictures so I can look back at the thread and see the progress. It's dark when I get home from work now so hopefully it's nice Sunday.

I saw the pictures of your lawn John. You did a great job especially considering it has only been a year. It looks like you've been maintaining it for years. It looks great!

JohnP

Post by JohnP » November 2nd, 2017, 12:53 pm

My success is only because of the members of this forum providing me with advice and direction. Learning from the posts (and sometimes painful posts like yours) of others as well. I have a long way to go, it’s in that “hot from far away” stage.

What about Mr. Neighbor? He leaving you alone now that it’s getting colder? :D

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » November 2nd, 2017, 8:27 pm

Yep, this forum and members are very helpful. If it wasn't for the forum I'd still be doing the Scott's 4 step after tossing down some cheap seed I would've bought from Farm and Fleet.

The neighbor isn't out quite as much to bother me since it has cooled down. I also pulled out the pontoon boat and it's parked where it partially blocks his view. It's staying there until after the spring lawn work is done. I wish I could plant some 6' pine trees to block his view but would need quite a few. It would probably cost a fortune. Something is getting planted there come spring though.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » April 26th, 2018, 11:44 am

Hope it's waking up all pretty!

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » April 26th, 2018, 10:11 pm

It's starting to wake up. It sure has been a long winter. The last couple of days have been nice.

I had quite a bit of snow mold damage so there are a decent amount of small bare spots. They're small enough that the kbg should fill them in eventually but will probably spot seed this fall. I went ahead and applied Prodiamine at a lower dose so should wear off by August.

It's kind of disappointing it's not all thick and lush but I'm still pleased considering I got hit with pythium and also the snow mold. It still looks a million times better than what was originally here. I know it will get better with time.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » April 27th, 2018, 8:04 am

Marinegrunt wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 10:11 pm
It's starting to wake up. It sure has been a long winter. The last couple of days have been nice.

I had quite a bit of snow mold damage so there are a decent amount of small bare spots. They're small enough that the kbg should fill them in eventually but will probably spot seed this fall. I went ahead and applied Prodiamine at a lower dose so should wear off by August.

It's kind of disappointing it's not all thick and lush but I'm still pleased considering I got hit with pythium and also the snow mold. It still looks a million times better than what was originally here. I know it will get better with time.
I think I have something similar going on from my fall reno. Tons of snow cover this fall and the grass thinned out pretty good in some areas from what I suspect might be snow mold. Not terribly worried about it, going to hit it hard with fertilizer in May/early June and hope that it fills in nicely by summer.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » April 27th, 2018, 9:31 am

With you having 100% kbg I bet yours will fill in nicely by fall. I went with tttf + 10% kbg so I have a feeling I might need to spot seed later this year.

The spots that I think were snow mold were small softball size circles all over the yard. I know they weren't there until after sometime in March. I also have areas that had a lot of foot traffic that died off a little. Mainly around the woodpile and where I pushed the wheelbarrow. That was somewhat expected being a young lawn. I kind of wonder if bringing in leaves from other yards could have attributed to the snow mold. Then again, snow mold may only be from snow. I just don't know anything about it.

I see neighbor's lawns starting to grow. Mine is greening up but hasn't grown much. I might throw down some Milo just to kick start it a little bit. I need to get some boron down anyways.