Marinegrunt's 2017 Fall Renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Marinegrunt's 2017 Fall Renovation

Post by JohnP » September 3rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

By the time I was able to go get the peat moss I had to get it from Menard's. 2.2cu ft/tube. Oh well.

Did you ever end up going with the PGP heads? What'd you settle on? I picked up an extra sprinkler literally because I thought of your "I'm almost done but the water isn't perfect now that I am done." experience.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » September 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

How about a starring contest? Maybe you could start looking on his bedroom window??

Ok, too far, I know.

Seedbed looks good

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » September 6th, 2017, 10:10 pm

probasesteal wrote:
September 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm
How about a starring contest? Maybe you could start looking on his bedroom window??

Ok, too far, I know.

Seedbed looks good
That's great! Just a little tap on his window and a long stare at him laying in bed. He probably wouldn't say anything and it would just be That starring contest you mentioned. That would teach him! Most of the summer I would pull my truck up towards the corner to block his view from anything I was doing outside. I'm definitely going to figure out a long term solution though.

I can only see a few here and there but I do have a tiny bit of germination. It's in the front where I didn't slit seed. I'm not sure if the areas where I used the slit seeder will take longer being that they are under a little soil. I got lucky on Monday and dodged a storm. It was cloudy and thundering like crazy but not even a drop of rain. I hope we don't get rain for another 2 weeks or longer.

Can you see them? I promise they are there.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm

You said you had your wife look at grass pics and help decide. What pic sold her on the TTTF?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 7th, 2017, 10:21 pm

JohnP wrote:
September 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm
You said you had your wife look at grass pics and help decide. What pic sold her on the TTTF?

I missed your post last night for some reason. I did go with the pgp heads. They work great and I'm very happy with them.

I showed my wife pictures of 100% kbg and of Othertime's TTTF. He used Hogan's Blend so that's why I ordered from there too. His pictures in his thread just have some photobucket logo now but that might just be an issue on my end. You can see his lawn in his avatar too. Here's the link.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9025&p=299824&hili ... me#p299824

I'm getting more germination but you really have to look close. Won't be long now.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 7th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
September 7th, 2017, 10:21 pm
JohnP wrote:
September 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm
I showed my wife pictures of 100% kbg and of Othertime's TTTF. He used Hogan's Blend so that's why I ordered from there too. His pictures in his thread just have some photobucket logo now but that might just be an issue on my end.
Not just your end. I don't know if he deleted his account (or PB did?) because others I've been able to open image in new tab and see them without issue.

You're what, a week in?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 8th, 2017, 8:23 am

I noticed the same thing on other websites when members used photobucket to post pictures. Photobucket must be trying to get people to upgrade to a paid account. I have had an account with them for probably 5 years and never saw that in place of people's pictures before.

Yep, I'm a week in. I seeded last Friday. I'm just glad we haven't had any rain. It looked like we were going to get hammered on Monday. The sky had the yellowish haze and it was thundering like crazy. We didn't get a drop of rain though.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 8th, 2017, 2:42 pm

We had that weird amber sky Monday when I was working. No rain here either, but I appreciated the overcast with the 12hours I spent outside.

mtroberts20
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix; Back: TTTF (Regenerate)
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by mtroberts20 » September 8th, 2017, 3:07 pm

The weird colored sky was from wildfires in Montana. I was actually hoping for rain all day, but nothing, not a drop for weeks!

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 8th, 2017, 8:19 pm

We've been dry here except for an inch Monday before last. Please don't be doing any rain dance!

Would the Montana wildfires make the sky amber in Central IL? If so, I never would have guessed it would be noticeable so far away.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 8th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I had a lot more germination today. You could actually see patches of green from a distance later in the afternoon.

hoosierHero
Grass Type: KBG - TTTF

Post by hoosierHero » September 9th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
September 8th, 2017, 9:08 pm
I had a lot more germination today. You could actually see patches of green from a distance later in the afternoon.

Nice!

We are in a similar region and you put TTTF down 3-4 days before I did; so I have been watching for clues on when I might see some activity.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 10th, 2017, 12:03 am

You should see germination any day now Hoosier. It was right at a week when I could barely make out a few sprouts. A few days later I could start seeing the start of a carpet of green. I still have a ways to go though.

This was taken this morning so I'm sure I have even more showing after the nice day we had today.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 10th, 2017, 12:23 am

I don't see your stalker! What'd you use to stake your hose up in the distance there?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 10th, 2017, 11:43 am

He's normally not out Saturday morning. He goes to his daughter's. He was out last night. This past week I was helping the neighbor that's up from him rip up some blacktop, dig the end of drive, and level the yard where a tree was next to the drive. The second I would start the tractor his garage door would open and he would come over and stare. I'd leave and he would go home and shut the garage door. When I started the tractor and headed back up the garage door would open. Same thing happened when I walked up there. It was like he was watching out the window. I think he thought he was helping by standing there watching me do everything. I even had to throw small chunks of blacktop in the bucket by hand and he didn't help. Ugh .... it drives me nuts... He's a nice guy but just super nosey and had to know and be involved in everything. I told my wife I'm going to surround the whole property in arborvitae trees so he can't see anything. Might look like crap but atleast I can keep my sanity.

To hold the hoses up i just cut some wire off of a piece of concrete remesh. It's that fence they use in concrete. I gave each piece a few bends to form it how I wanted. I coat hanger would probably work too but might be too thin.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » September 10th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Just ask him why he stares at you all the time and tell him it's creepy. Maybe he won't stop but at least maybe you can get some answers...

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 10th, 2017, 2:44 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
September 10th, 2017, 12:16 pm
Just ask him why he stares at you all the time and tell him it's creepy. Maybe he won't stop but at least maybe you can get some answers...
I really should ask him or atleast tell him it really bothers me. I like the guy and I'll go up there and visit with him about once a week. My wife will sometimes talk to him when she passes his house after going for a walk. She says he always says good things about me and he said he really has a lot of respect for me. I'm always helping my neighbors with things, including him, so that's probably why he feels that way. Regardless on how he feels about me he doesn't need to stare all the time. I think he doesn't have much of a life so watching me work is his excitement for the day.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » September 10th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Sounds like he's just curious and dense as to how he's making you uncomfortable. Probably since you guys are friendly, he thinks it's not creepy. Just bring it up in a gentle way and not aggressive and see what he says.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 11th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Yeah, I do need to say something. If I wait too long I'll just get really mad and it will probably end up in more of a tell than a talk. I'm really laid back and rarely confront anyone but something needs to happen one way or another.

I think I'm on day 10. It seems to be coming in decent but still a ways to go. I'm still crossing my fingers for no rain.

This picture makes it look better than what it is. It still has some bare patches.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 11th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Bare spots be damned that's gotta feel awesome to see it coming in after all the fallow.

We have upper 70s and lower 80s for the next week with a 20% chance of rain this weekend. Hopefully your forecast is similar.