Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Marinegrunt's 2017 Fall Renovation

Post by Marinegrunt » September 20th, 2017, 11:02 pm

probasesteal wrote:
September 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm

He has given me some great compliments

You're making this too easy man...
Ha.... I did make it pretty easy there didn't I. Don't hold back. I like a good laugh. I'm telling you, he doesn't seem to have anything better. I'm not very exciting so he must really not have a life. I can't tell you how many times I've looked out the window to see that his garage door is shut. The second I go outside you hear and see it go up. My wife always tells me, "Maybe he likes you likes you". He just needs a freaking hobby so hopefully getting him into lawn care will help.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by probasesteal » September 21st, 2017, 10:15 pm

So, in my head this is how I picture your neighbor... (When he stands to check you out of course)

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG

Post by Marinegrunt » September 21st, 2017, 11:17 pm

Lol.... good one.... I can see picturing him like. He's normally in jeans and a button up shirt though. I bet he has a wife beater under that button up though.

What's going to be funny is when he starts getting into caring for his lawn and decides to do some research. He's gonna come on here and see all the crap we've been talking about him. Maybe then he'll stop staring. I'm pretty laid back but my wife is surprised at how well I've handled it so far. Every time I see him staring my bp goes up a digit so I know it's only a matter of time though.

Found a little Dollar Spot today. It has been 94 and humid the last 3 days and suppose to be the same through Sunday. I put Serenade down yesterday but didn't notice it then. Looks like it has been there atleast a few days. Ordered some Propicazonole 41.8% today just in case. The grass is kind of thick in that area from water moving seed down the slope.

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix

Post by JohnP » September 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am

"Sorry I annoyed you with my friendship!" -Your neighbor probably.

Saw your other post about the Prop 41. Did you do anything like Serenade at all yet?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

When I looked at the lawn this morning I saw that it's getting decimated by Dollar Spot. The "spider webs" are all over the place. I already ordered some Propicazonole but ran and picked up some Bayer Advanced spray just to get going on it.

Is there anything else I should do? I'm 22 days out from seed down and aboit 14 from the very first signs of germination. It looks like some might be coming out of sprout and pout. Should I give it some Milorganite or, since it's getting decimated, going ahead and it .25 - .5 lbs of urea? I'm thinking I should be more concerned with the dollar spot than another few days of focused root growth of pout a d sprout. I really don't know so any help or opinions are appreciated. I am going to really cut back on water especially due to the heat and humidity we have through Sunday.

This is what I see all over. I guess it's kind of patchy but all over.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by greenrebellion » September 22nd, 2017, 10:50 am

Ya, this weather is not good, not good at all. I'm dealing with 93 degrees today with another 70 degree dewpoint and this continues until Wednesday. I don't know how to advise you, but hopefully things stabilize once the temps normalize next week.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2017, 1:11 pm

I spoke with Stephen at Hogan Seed and he recommended urea, water in for 10 minutes, and then spray Propicazonole later this evening. He also said no watering for 4 days.

One thing he mentioned was never to water during the day and only at dusk and dawn. I know over watering is probably the main reason I have dollar spot. I know the heat and humidity didn't help but it's partly my fault. I tossed some seed in thin spots so wanted to keep it moist. I ordered 50 lbs of seed so I'm sure I can get some more TTTF growing before winter. Hopefully I don't lose too much. I have areas that looked fine last night but are now completely dead. They're just little 3"-4" circles though. It'll be fine though.

Urea is down and watering in now. Propicazonole tonight. I hate Midwest weather.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2017, 1:17 pm

greenrebellion wrote:
September 22nd, 2017, 10:50 am
Ya, this weather is not good, not good at all. I'm dealing with 93 degrees today with another 70 degree dewpoint and this continues until Wednesday. I don't know how to advise you, but hopefully things stabilize once the temps normalize next week.
I bet you'll be fine. Like I mentioned, a big part of my dollar spot I was the cause due to my watering schedule. I have read enough on here to where I should have known better.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2017, 7:16 pm

I was out blowing leaves. I glanced up every minute and this is what I saw for about 30 minutes straight.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 22nd, 2017, 9:17 pm

Lol that pic. Maybe you should just aim your phone like you're taking pictures of him every few minutes. Or get a chair out and sit down and stare at him.

I seem to only think of passive aggressive ways to deal with it.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 22nd, 2017, 11:23 pm

JohnP wrote:
September 22nd, 2017, 9:17 pm
I seem to only think of passive aggressive ways to deal with it.
Trust me, you're not the only one. I even told my wife earlier that I'm about ready to go knock him out of his fn chair. I think the passive aggressive is a good approach. It has been going on long enough and he's fortunate I've "kept the peace" being that we were the new neighbors and have only been here a year and a half. I'm not feeling so new anymore. Last summer, not really meaning to, I did yell "stop staring at me"! I was on the tractor but i know he heard me. For about 2 weeks he stopped putting his chair at the edge and sat about halfway back in his garage. He must have a short memory because it didn't last long. I think what changed was I finally talked to him for the first time shortly after that.

He's a nice guy but it has to stop. I'm not exaggerating when I say I can look up every minute over the course of a half hour and he's still staring. How he can't realize that doing that would piss off even the nicest person is beyond me. I like your chair idea. I think I will drop what I'm doing and just stare back. We'll see how that goes before stepping it up to the chair. I know when I stop and stare he'll just start talking to me. He'll yell over something like, "you getting all those leaves Brian"? I guess I'll just ignore him and keep staring.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 23rd, 2017, 1:22 pm

The original forecast was for 90 degree weather through Sunday. It looks like we're going to get it through Tuesday now before dropping back to the 70's.

I woke up to more areas with the Dollar Spot fungus. Hopefully the urea and Propicazonole I applied yesterday will help. I have some thin spots that need some more seed anyways so it's not the end of the world. It might be if this dollar spot doesn't stop spreading though.

I already mentioned this but I wonder if the extended fallowing hurt more than it helped. Do you think most of the good bacteria was wiped out? There weren't even any root from the old grass leftover due to scraping the yard. It was a hot summer and the sun just baked the lawn. I wonder how much of that attributed to the dollar spot. I know my over watering in this heat was the main reason though.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » September 23rd, 2017, 7:11 pm

Lol I thought you were gonna go and say something to him... seems like you havent mustered the courage yet. You say you like him but then say you wanna knock him out. Lol just go and tell him youre flattered but that youre married and not into men.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 23rd, 2017, 8:46 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
September 23rd, 2017, 7:11 pm
Lol I thought you were gonna go and say something to him... seems like you havent mustered the courage yet. You say you like him but then say you wanna knock him out. Lol just go and tell him youre flattered but that youre married and not into men.
Yeah, I do think he's a nice guy. I just don't like the constant staring. Take the staring away and his a pretty decent neighbor. It's kind of like when we were 10 years old and you and your friends would kick the crap out of each other and still get along. I figure if I knock him out of his chair and tell him to stop staring we would then get along fine the next day. Plus, he wouldn't stare anymore.

My wife doesn't want me to do anything and just ignore it. You know, keep the peace with the neighbors. Easy for her to say when she doesn't have to deal with it since she's never really out front. She doesn't even want me to stop what I'm doing and stare back. Heck, that's harmless. I bet if she sun tanned in an area he could see or, liked reading a book on the front porch, she would've had me marching over there right away to put a stop to it.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by llO0DQLE » September 23rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

Its bothering you and messing with your lawn enjoyment. I say do something about it...

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 25th, 2017, 10:36 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
September 23rd, 2017, 9:30 pm
Its bothering you and messing with your lawn enjoyment. I say do something about it...
Yeah, I've definitely had enough. I've done a great job waiting as long as I have. It was more for the wife tho. I was out spraying a fungicide this evening and there he was staring like usual. I even stared back for like 30 seconds as I was making a pass parallel to the road and he never took his eyes off of me. Wtf.

I'm pretty sure I have Pythium Blight and not Dollar Spot. It fit the symptoms of dollar spot at first but it's spreading and killing the areas way too fast. There are areas that are fine in the evening and completely dead the next morning. Sounds like I should just wait for cooler temps and reseed. I wish I wouldn't have even sprayed Propicazonole now.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 26th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Did the Propicazonole make it worse? What'd you try spraying?

Have you been applying the Urea as well?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 26th, 2017, 10:24 pm

I applied urea and watered it in last Friday. I then applied Propicazonole. That's when I thought it was Dollar Spot. Being that I have never had Pythium Blight I don't know if it made it worse but, if I had to guess, I would say it did. It spread a lot over the weekend. It finally started slowing down some but I had a bunch of grass die.

What I should have used was Subdue Maxx (Mefenoxam 2AQ). It's not cheap. I think I'm going to order it and apply it before I spot seed to knock the rest out and to prevent any outbreaks when I water the seed. I'll probably use 40 lbs of seed and don't want it to get ruined. I guess the Subdue Maxx will also prevent the seed from being effected if the Pythium Blight pops back up so it's good insurance.

I'm really going to go easy on the water. Luckily the 90° + temps are over. Low 80's next week tho which is probably warm enough for another outbreak if I'm not careful.

One thing I need to do as soon as I can is work on organic matter and getting my good bacteria back in the soil. I think with our lawn being all dirt for a year the summer sun baked it and probably hurt my good bacteria population. I have the soil conditioner and kelp help ready to go so I'm going to try and throw everything I can at it right after winter or maybe some this fall if I have time.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » September 26th, 2017, 11:05 pm

I feel for ya, can't imagine waiting this long to seed and then going through all that. Flip side is you're smarter and more prepared for next time though.

Are you going to stick with Dusk/Dawn watering? It's a shame with all the leaves dropping...I imagine you're bag mowing rather than mulching?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » September 27th, 2017, 11:09 am

I haven't had to mow yet. I think it was just starting to come out of sprout and pout when the heatwave came and kept it from growing. I am going to bag mow before spot seeding. I'm going to cut it a little low. There are spots that need mowed.

I'm too upset because I had thin spots anyways. The Pythium Blight sure did cause some damage though. I can't believe how fast it kills the grass off. If I had to guess I would say it killed off maybe 15%-20% of the grass. First signs of the fungus were last Thursday. So, within a week it put a hurting on the lawn.

Weather looks good for growing. I'm hoping seed will be down this weekend. In 10-14 days the lawn should look better than it did before the fungus because the thin spots should be filled in. I'm only going to use Tenacity this fall and not Barricade or Dimension so I can dormant seed if I have any thin spots. I don't have much for weed pressure tho. A few broadleaf and some annual rye. I could probably hand pull them all.

Here are some pictures of the damage.

A decent size section of the front looks like this.

The spreading has really slowed down but there a still a few spots.

Once it gets the "cobwebs" it takes less than 24 hours for this. It might even take less than 12 hours.

Cooler temps, Subdue Maxx, and more seed will hopefully have it back in decent shape in no time.