Hot weather..........help!

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
phancv01
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Hot weather..........help!

Post by phancv01 » May 21st, 2017, 8:42 am

I'm currently doing a 20% perennial rye, 80% kbg mix. I dropped seed and for the next 4 days the temps hit an unusual high of mid 80's. I have a sprinkler system so keeping the soil moist wasn't a problem. Temps are now back in the mid 60's. It's now been 6 days and I do not see any ryegrass sprouts. My question is did the high temps destroy the seed? Should I put down more seed or wait it out? I know it's pretty late in the spring to do a reno but I've already committed and if i dont see any signs of life my wife will kill me!!! Any help would be appreciated

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Hot weather..........help!

Post by andy10917 » May 21st, 2017, 8:46 am

Your seed was not destroyed. The planet would be barren if it were that easy to kill it. Actually, it's good news if the PR doesn't start to dominate the stand before the KBG gets a chance to get going.

phancv01

Post by phancv01 » May 21st, 2017, 9:05 am

Thanks for the quick reply andy10917. I've been losing sleep over this lol

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 22nd, 2017, 1:30 am

I put down some PR seed on a family member's lawn over a week ago. The first few days, we got a lot of rain or I watered. Then, we had three days of 90+ a few days ago. It didn't get watered during that time. Guess what? There's some germination happening. The seed made it through all of that. Far more adverse than what you're facing.

And what Andy was getting at, was the idea that once you get to about 20% PR by weight in a mix, there's a good chance of the PR dominating the final lawn. In your situation, the heat might have evened the field a bit, allowing the later-germinating KBG to catch up a bit if the earlier PR germination was slowed at all during the heat.

jmlrugby
Grass Type: TTTF Blend/HKBG+Midnight
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by jmlrugby » May 22nd, 2017, 10:35 am

I seeded KBG last fall and then hit a stretch of 100+ degree weather. Lawn came in great. Not saying that is was optimal, or ideal, or good for my liver, but it wasn't the death of my reno either.

phancv01

Post by phancv01 » May 22nd, 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks for the help everyone. My biggest concern was waiting 3 weeks later and realizing that the kbg seed went bad 3 weeks prior. At that point it would definitely be too late.