A river ran through it - TN renovation

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
emtravelers
Grass Type: Zoysia Aspirations
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

A river ran through it - TN renovation

Post by emtravelers » May 23rd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hello everyone I think you have a wonderful forum here. I hate to go straight for advice but I'm under an ultimatum. Mrs. Travelers doesn't tolerate. She's threatening lawn service next spring if this does not show signs of improvement, we wouldn't want that I love lawn work.

My wife and I purchased this house in TN about a year ago, after living in apartments for over thirteen years. So you may understand that I know nothing about grass fertilizing, weed killing, etc. and our lawn is suffering. The builder tried to grade and plant seed, (common Bermuda?) and put straw down. This worked for several neighbors and we were the unlucky ones. The monsoons came for three weeks straight after seeding and a rivulet developed running from the back lawn to the right of our fire hydrant. This has been mostly fixed by grass growth and backfill but I still have a half foot gash that needs filling. This could continue to be problematic when it rains we get three neighbors runoff and that creates a small stream running through this rivulet area.

My father-in-law suggested KY31 and we seeded that last August and again a month ago. I went out with a shovel and cultivator and turned all the bare spots, seeded, and added Scott's turfbuilder. Apparently this was the opening that the Bermuda needed because it sprang to life.

So in summation there are two grass varieties and a bunch of weeds growing in clay, my guess is eventually the Bermuda would win out. After looking into it I've discovered what I'd rather do is plug in zoysia so it can overtake everything, convincing Mrs. Travelers to go this route is problematic. I'm really tempted to ninja plug in Zoysia while she is not looking.

So... here's the problems:

Mass o' weeds.
Multiple grasses.
Erosion issues.
Grading issues.

Is it okay to cut? Seed has been growing for about a month (some neighbor tossed a burnt log on my lawn over the weekend. I don't think they are pleased at the moment). I can honestly say however that my yard isn't the worst on the block at the moment.

You may want to look away because those with sensitive eyes may want to avert them because what follows is not pretty. I apologize and hope this does not offend anyone's sensibilities and believe it is necessary to understand the magnitude of the issue at hand:

Weeds and mixed grass showing attitude:

To be honest I'm not positive what this culprit is (guess common Bermuda):

KY31:

The rivulet (used to be twoxtwoxtwenty-two feet):

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: A river ran through it - TN renovation

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 23rd, 2017, 12:54 pm

You need to figure out what you want to have - Bermuda or fescue.
The builder tried to grade and plant seed, (common Bermuda?) and put straw down. This worked for several neighbors and we were the unlucky ones. I can honestly say however that my yard isn't the worst on the block at the moment.
Sounds like several others were "unlucky" too, but luck had nothing to do with the consistent failures of Bermuda lawns to establish in your neighborhood. It was the way the builder tried to establish Bermuda by throwing out seed, topping with straw, and walking away. That's rarely recommended here, precisely because it is difficult. Most of the warm season gurus recommend Bermuda establishment through sod or plugs. You paid for a lawn they failed to deliver, my friend. If you were a cool season lawn sowing Perennial Ryegrass it might be a different story.
growing in clay
Have you tested the soil to confirm this? Never assume. There's a soil management article that has a test you can use to determine what soil particles make up this test, or you can send in a soil test to a professional lab like Logan Labs to have them do this for you. A logan labs professional soil test, along with nailing down your goals, can provide a solid roadmap for the year.

KY31 is a fescue grass. Really lime green, and not loved very much here for it's aesthetics. But, it does have beauty in it's own rite.

If you think Bermuda will and should win longterm, I'd consider reading the crap out of this site - especially the Bermuda Guide - and finding a few early summer Bermuda sod / plug renovation threads in the warm season forum to see how it should have been done properly. Then, I'd get to work.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 23rd, 2017, 2:00 pm

Thanks. Good point on the soil test. I knew there was a lot of research I have yet to do.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 23rd, 2017, 2:17 pm

Ah - I see shooting for Zoysia in your signature now. It's also largely established from plugs or sod I believe.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 23rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Well from an immediate gratification perspective I bet the Bermudagrass would be quicker at solving the problem of Mrs Travelers.

Skimming the Bermuda article already solved one mystery (why there is dead top growth in spots of the yard). So I'm learning.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 23rd, 2017, 11:15 pm

I hate to ask this but what is this? It looks a lot to me like the poa? that was identified in Greenrebellions Reno thread.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » May 24th, 2017, 9:03 am

I would think proper grading for water flow would be number one on the list. Due to the different types of grass, and the grade issue, I would kill it all off, grade the areas that need it, and start with a clean slate. That's pretty much what I did to my lawn. I'm waiting until fall to seed. It might be different with warm season grass. If the runoff is so bad that grading won't be enough there are other options. One is a rain garden. You could also line it with 4"-6" rocks. It just depends on the situation.

There are thousands of posts to read through. I still constantly read them myself making sure I get everything lined out for my fall seeding. There is also an articles section. Make sure to get that soil test from Logan Labs.

Best of luck!

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 24th, 2017, 9:44 am

Figure out what turf you want first - that, along with your soil and level of maintenance desired determine 90% of what you will need to do.

Along the lines of Marine's thought - Maybe create a very slight swale to channel the water away, then sod over it to stop erosion. Design it so the water doesn't stand in your yard. Could be as simple as buying bags of topsoil then sodding over it.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 24th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
May 24th, 2017, 9:03 am
I would think proper grading for water flow would be number one on the list. Due to the different types of grass, and the grade issue, I would kill it all off, grade the areas that need it, and start with a clean slate.
... Make sure to get that soil test from Logan Labs.
I've been keeping a close eye on the rivulet since the new grass came in. It's been raining heavy for the last two days and there doesn't seem to be the same flow issue. I think the grass broke it up to the point it can be fixed. As for the lab test Iput down slow release turf builder four and a half weeks ago should I go ahead and sample or wait two weeks.

I'm going with the Zoysia tell me what you think of this plan;or if I'm insane.

My workplace actually cleared me for some PTO next week. I have to strike while the iron is hot, time off doesn't come around often in my field. So I was going to take this...
and just picked up one of these...

...and put it to good use.

5800 square feet I need 170 square feet of Zeon Zoysia, some heavy shears...

Other potential supplies:
Would it be adviasable to use rooting compound and some more localized fertilizer.

Ironically the sod store in using is the same one gtnike used in his renovation back in 2010-2011.

Any modifications or adjustments to this plan?

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 25th, 2017, 9:39 am

Is that enough

Take your logan labs sample now before you apply any more fertilizer. Hopefully the prill has all broken down - but it's better than shooting completely in the dark.

Find some glyphosate and kill all the weeds and grass you don't want NOW. Hit it again a few days before you sod. Be careful to get just glyphosate and avoid the year long roundup that kills everything for a year - including grass :) Keep it simple. If you end up with a patchwork of turf - you can end up with a camoflauge look, especially over winter - the fescue will be more green in the winter and browner in the summer, while the bermuda will thrive in the summer but be browner in the winter - and zoysia slightly different too. Again, depends what level you're going for :)

Did you get enough plugs? I honestly don't know what the recommended plug coverage is for new establishment.

A light dose of milorganite would probably be okay to apply after you put out plugs, but hold off on anything synthetic until you get your test back and the plugs root in. Focus on getting the plugs to root. For transplanted plants in general, applying synthetic Nitrogen directly to their roots can hurt them.

Have you figured out watering? Water is more important than fertilizer.

Also - consider a pre-emergent to keep those bare spots from filling back in with weeds. What's your plan there?

Set expecations with Mrs. that it will be a few months for it to spread and fill in, but that's no different than if you hired company xyz to come do the same thing.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 25th, 2017, 10:12 am

I'm with HLG on just grading that slope. A rain garden is probably over kill. It's not much different than what we have on our side and backyard. I used it to my advantage and directed water away from our foundation. I currently have no grass whatsoever so can really watch water flow and it does just fine.

If you're wanting a nice lawn listen to the pros. Actually, if you listen and apply all of their advice exactly as they tell you your lawn will be the best in the neighborhood. That's what I plan on doing.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 25th, 2017, 4:02 pm

I'm still thinking stressing Bermuda/fescue will be the better option. I don't want to throw the yard back into erosion issues and have been doing research on zoysia in extension articles.

As for the number of plugs this Missouri extension article has good detail on planting process: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6706

There are several scenarios (leaning towards option 2)

Option 1: 1000 plugs / 1000 square feet plugs spaced at 12 inches.

1 square yard sod = 324 2 inch plugs
1000 plugs per 1000 square feet.
1000 / 324 = 3.08 square yards
3.08 x 5.8 = 17.9 square yards or 54 square feet
54 x $.75 = $40.5

Total plugs: 17.9 square yards x 324= 5799.6
Hmm thanks for making me check my math. Any math wizzes want to run the numbers?

Option 2: At 3 inches:
1 square yard of sod = 144 3 inch plugs
1000 / 144 = 6.94 square yards
6.94 x 5.8 = 40.25 square yards or 120.75 square feet
120.75 x $.75 = $90.57

Total plugs = 40.25 x 144 = 5796
2250 plugs / 1000 square feet plugs spaced at 8 inches.

Option 3: At 3 inches:
2250 / 144 3 inch plugs = 15.63 square yards
15.63 x 5.8 = 90.65 square yards or 271.96 square feet

271.96 x .75 = $204.
Total plugs = 90.65 x 144 = 13053.6
13053.6 / 2.25 = 5801

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 25th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Need to fix a math error:

Option 1: 1000 plugs / 1000 square feet plugs spaced at 12 inches.

1 square yard sod = 324 2 inch plugs
1000 plugs per 1000 square feet.
1000 / 324 = 3.08 square yards
3.08 x 5.8 = 17.9 square yards x 9 or 161.1 square feet
161 x $.75 = $120.82

Total plugs: 17.9 square yards x 324= 5799.6

Option 2: At 3 inches:
1 square yard of sod = 144 3 inch plugs
1000 / 144 = 6.94 square yards
6.94 x 5.8 = 40.25 x9 square yards or 362.25 square feet
362.25x $.75 = $271.68

Total plugs = 40.25 x 144 = 5796
2250 plugs / 1000 square feet plugs spaced at 8 inches.

Option 3: At 3 inches (plugs spaced at 8 inches):
2250 / 144 3 inch plugs = 15.63 square yards
15.63 x 5.8 = 90.65 x 9 square yards or 815.85 square feet

815.85 x .75 = $611
Total plugs = 90.65 x 144 = 13053.6
13053.6 / 2.25 = 5801

Option 4: At 2 inches (plugs spaced at 8 inches):
2250 / 324 2 inch plugs = 6.94 square yards
6.95 x 5.8 = 40.27 x 9 square yards or 362.50 square feet

362.50x .75 = $271.875

My bad

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 27th, 2017, 12:13 am

So the sod starts arriving next Tuesday. 40 square feet which will be 1440 plugs. Good thing I have two days off to get them in the ground. I'm pulling the soil sample on Monday.

Anyone know if it would hurt to go ahead and start pre-plugging.i could put Monday to good use and get a bunch of little holes in the ground. Here's the weather:

Looks like Mother Nature changed up on me and isn't going to cooperate during the last half of the week. After I get the first round of plugs in I may be back to working to retain vaca.

Cut the grass in preparation. I'm going to drop the mower and cut it shorter Monday. Don't mind the neighbors unrated grass thatch.

I uncovered what remains of the rivulet. Excess plug dirt is going to be put to good use patching this. The real question is should I also use KY31 and or Bermuda plugs to temporarily patch this before the zoysiapocalypse. There's plenty more preparation to squeeze into the weekend. Have a blessed Memorial Day.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 27th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I know I'm talking to myself now but...some updates.

The soil sample is queued up for Logan's Lab Tuesday. I started a soil particle test.

Also yesterday one of my neighbors who was sending water my way put in a privacy fence so I'll be keeping an eye on the water drainage.

To be honest we don't really have grading issues, though there are some spots I want to hit with a cultivator and smooth out. The issue in the past has been an erosion issue and this appears to be getting better.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 29th, 2017, 8:20 pm

It seems like you have things planned out pretty well so I'm sure it'll all turn out great.

I would think that as long as you fill in the rivulet, and keep the grass healthy there, it will be fine. It doesn't look to be a big area so should be easy enough to change later on if need be. I don't think I would temporarily plant any grass there. If you have extra dirt I'd just store a pile of it somewhere and fill it once you're ready to do your permanent grass.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » May 30th, 2017, 10:43 pm

So that's what it feels like to be kicked by a mule.

Ended up with 50 square feet of zoysia, I'd ordered, 80 originally requested an adjustment in the middle of the weekend.

360 plugs in the lawn. Still have 4 sheets to work tomorrow. I was told to unroll and water it so it can last longer.

Status update:
Hell strip finished
Right front yard mostly done

Goals for tomorrow:
Left side lawn. It's a strip should go fast
Rest,of right front.
Right side and left side strips.

Here's some pictures:

Baskets o plugs

Plug squares: 11 inch x 11 inch. 15 on diagonal

Seated plugs tamped in and watered

gtnike
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia, TTTF in the shade

Post by gtnike » June 1st, 2017, 1:56 pm

Sorry for being late to the party, I think I can help you as I did the exact same thing you are doing now, about 20 miles down the road from you!

Here is my reno thread from 2011. I should take some pictures when I get home. Especially right now, my lawn is in great shape, well, about 90% of it. There's always a few trouble spots. But I did the plugs and it turned out great. Don't worry about the weeds or other grass, within 2-3 years they will be a distant memory!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3725

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » June 1st, 2017, 8:15 pm

gtnike wrote:
June 1st, 2017, 1:56 pm
Sorry for being late to the party, I think I can help you as I did the exact same thing you are doing now, about 20 miles down the road from you!

Here is my reno thread from 2011.
That's a great resource I've been relying on and actually inspired me to go this route. Thank you for all the effort you put in to documenting how to pull off this type of lawn conversion.

I'd love to see the updated pictures.

Lawn update: I was able to get in roughly 1000 plugs in this first phase (stage 1). The stages were determined by what would be easiest to water without pulling sprinklers too often. Two weeks from now I'm going to shoot for stage two.

I had some excess turf so put in some 6 inch x 2 foot Zoysia turf beds so they can grow together and create plugs.

On the other hand there is all this dry sandy soil that seems to repel water:

I think this is part of the reason there is so much runoff.

emtravelers

Post by emtravelers » June 2nd, 2017, 6:04 pm

So after three days a good portion of my plugs that first went in look like this:

Think they're lost?

I watered them in for thirty minutes at 5:00 last night, maybe too much watering?

Anyone know the watering schedule for Zoysia plugs.